Opinions on Belt Drive Systems

Harrogate009

Hi,

A potentially stupid question, but was curious to know what people's opinions on belt drive systems are? 

I've built a couple of chassis in the past in large scales but I'm current drawing up a 009 loco chassis where the diminutive size is posing problems in terms of sourcing small enough gears / gearboxes, which may require some creativity. I've noticed some 009 loco kits use belt drive systems, but I've not heard about how successful these systems are? My gut feeling is the belt may be susceptible to creep over time, frictional resistance would be higher than gears and a high dependance on how taught the belt is to avoid slipping belts or excessive rotational friction in the driveshaft (the effect of this minimied with small ball bearing?).

Are belt-drive systems to be avoided?

I have used a number of Bullant belt driven motor units, they were/are superb in operation, quiet, powerful and very reliable, never had belt issues, that said it is a five second job to change one on these. Only downside is that they are NLA........

• RMweb Premium

I've used Nigel Lawtons belt drive system quite succesfully in a 2mm class 15 diesel. He provides a range of belts, pulleys and other bits inc motors. Correct tension is needed as you suspect but simple construction will suffice so long as you allow for the belt being replaced when needed. I had to fit a replacement after around 8 years use. It's of particular benefit when you want a high reduction in limited space with no noise.

Another option is that the 2mm Scale Association provide a range of gears, worm & spur in various sizes, with which you can produce your own drive arrangement. They have just introduced a brass gearbox to suit their 30-1 gearsets. Could I suggest you look around the 2mm section on here for ideas. What you may consider diminutive may not be in 2mm terms and prove not too difficult to sort out. Well, not impossible anyway......!

Bob