What is a "comfortable" turning radius?

Londontram

Can I ask you kind people what you think is a comfortable turning circle radius for trams fitted with Bec type Motor bogies.

A typical first radius curve has an approximate 38cm diameter would it be feasible to bring this down to say 20cm to 30cm what are you thoughts and experiences.

Thank you Steve

Edited by Londontram

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It all depends what your running. I had a Liverpool bogie car that could get around a 310mm curve with only the occasional derailment. If your running 4 wheel trams then you should get away with it easily, with 8 wheelers I would personally avoid but is possible to go around 300mm.

• 3 weeks later...

I've asked the question of my friend Tony Hultman who is engineer for the Gothenberg Tramways museum fleet. The tightest radius they have is about 17.5m and that is in the depot. Radius is measured to track centre. That works out to about 230mm/9" in 00 gauge and a bit less in H0. 200mm/8".  What your trams will actually negotiate is down to your practical experience, but curves of say 6" radius ought to be possible.

ISTR this subject was discussed on here before and the answer was nobody seemed to know. But the suggestion was to get a large scale OS map from NLS from the 1920's, find a sharp curve and work out from the map what the radius is. It should be easy if you have the Templot track planning software on your computer, it's free to download and use.

Edited by roythebus1

• 2 weeks later...