Roco BR50, Model no 43288 - no front coupling?

Guest WM183

Hi all.

Does anyone own an older(ish) Roco BR 50 that can look and tell me if yours has a front coupling, or even a socket to mount one? Mine doesn't! I was installing new Roco universal couplings (what I have settled on) on mine and... no front coupling! 

nK6GVyr.jpg

What do??

OP SUCCESS! They WERE in the box, cleverly concealed beneath the big plastic "Roco" plate thing. Ahem.

Problem fixed.

Edited by WM183

Hi John,

I agree, but alas, the BR50 was used on branch lines and for pick-up freights all the time, so it would be tasked with shunting quite often. While it was a large engine, its low axle load meant it was quite well suited to branch line and industrial use, where the roadbed might not support the heavier axle load of an equal sized tank loco. The BR50 was something of a "maid of all work" for the DRG, DR, and DB. I did manage to fit the front coupling, and it works well. I will certainly be using mine for shunting in any case! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 12:14, WM183 said:

Hi John,
While it was a large engine, its low axle load meant it was quite well suited to branch line and industrial use, 

Not just 'well suited' - but actually designed specifically with 'go anywhere' capabilities to replace with one standard class a huge range of diverse 'first generation' pre German unification types.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2021 at 11:22, WM183 said:

OP SUCCESS! They WERE in the box, cleverly concealed beneath the big plastic "Roco" plate thing. Ahem.

Problem fixed.

Yes, rather cleverly the Roco front coupling is entirely separate from the pony truck.  Unscrew the truck, and insert the coupling arm over the same location and reattach the pony truck if I recall correctly.  Which reminds me - I have three Br50s that need this exact job doing!

4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Yes, rather cleverly the Roco front coupling is entirely separate from the pony truck.  Unscrew the truck, and insert the coupling arm over the same location and reattach the pony truck if I recall correctly.  Which reminds me - I have three Br50s that need this exact job doing!

Thanks for the reminder.

At the weekend I was going through my spares box and along with a couple of snow ploughs I found one of these coupling arms. 

I now know what it is.:D

Bernard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Anyone know what the spare part number is for the front coupler arm thing is?  

I went to fit mine yesterday - none in the box!  

I looked at the Roco spares sheet and can't identify what might be the correct part...

Did you download the pdf with the pictures of all the parts? I find that really useful for identifying the parts 

• Thanks 1