• RMweb Gold

I about to install a weighbridge hut and weighbridge plate on Callow Lane.

I have a nice, etched Smiths Midland 'Cart weighbridge plate' (catalogue number SF13 on the Smiths' part of the Wizard Models website).

My question concerns the use of the word 'cart'. Does this mean that the weighbridge plate dates from the period prior to the introduction of motor vehicles (ie. horse and cart) and would have, therefore, been replaced sometime prior to the period of my layout? (early 1960s)

The Smiths instruction slip with the weighbridge plate confusingly refers to it being a GWR plate, modelled on that found at Knightwick, on the Worcester to Bromyard branch. The instructions admittedly also say that it was installed in 1889 and lasted until closure of the line in the 1950s.

So the nub of it seems to be the use of the word 'cart' in the description. If such lightweight weighbridge plates really did last well into the BR period, then I am happy to use this one, although it does seem quite small at 53mm x 33mm.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Might be worth having a word with the guys on the Glos Warks railway heritage blog. They are currently rebuilding a weigh bridge building that came from Usk. They may know or know someone with the right knowledge.

Keith

• Thanks 1

That does sound very small. My GW plate measures 78x40mm, but the pack is long gone - could be Smiths. It's quite a good representation of the Pooley bridge (No. 324), but does not include any representation of the surrounding framework.

Turning to the one you have, what do you expect to be weighed on it? You could weigh a lorry (in two stages), or individual bags. Pretty unlikely. You might be better off with the Pooley one - and hope no-one picks you up on it being the wrong one ...

I am not an expert on Midland weigh bridges ...

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tim V said:

Turning to the one you have, what do you expect to be weighed on it? You could weigh a lorry (in two stages), or individual bags. Pretty unlikely. You might be better off with the Pooley one - and hope no-one picks you up on it being the wrong one ...

It would mostly be smaller commercial vehicles carrying goods unloaded via the goods shed or the adjacent goods siding (with outside crane). It would not be for coal traffic.

There is an element of 'joint line' about that area of the layout (GW and Midland), so a GW pattern plate could potentially serve. One of the advantages of making it up as you go along modelling a fictitious location!

Tim,   There were a number of 15ton and 20ton weighbridges in the Bristol area when I first started work as a Weights and Measures Inspector in the late 1960s and your 12ft 6in x 8ft 3in weighbridge plate would certainly take a two axle short wheelbase lorry even if it was originally for a horse drawn cart.  I tested a lot of weighbridges including Pooley - mostly on railway linked properties - and Avery equipment.

Robin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, barrowroad said:

Tim,   There were a number of 15ton and 20ton weighbridges in the Bristol area when I first started work as a Weights and Measures Inspector in the late 1960s and your 12ft 6in x 8ft 3in weighbridge plate would certainly take a two axle short wheelbase lorry even if it was originally for a horse drawn cart.  I tested a lot of weighbridges including Pooley - mostly on railway linked properties - and Avery equipment.

Robin

Thank you Robin, that's very helpful indeed! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2021 at 21:02, Captain Kernow said:

So the nub of it seems to be the use of the word 'cart' in the description. If such lightweight weighbridge plates really did last well into the BR period, then I am happy to use this one, although it does seem quite small at 53mm x 33mm.

You appear to be assuming that cart = lightweight, which I don't think is necessarily true.

On 08/11/2021 at 21:02, Captain Kernow said:

The instructions admittedly also say that it was installed in 1889 and lasted until closure of the line in the 1950s.

Quite. I very much doubt that there was a widespread programme of replacement of weighbridges on the widespread introduction of motor lorries. The railway surely just carried on using the original Victorian equipment, in this as in much else.

• Like 1