Forum layout changes...

Hello

Overnight, the layout of RMWeb on my iPad screen has changed...

The screen is divided 2:1 vertically, with posts/main content on the left side and adverts/miscellaneous bits and pieces on the right hand side. There was a small arrow that "floated" above page content bottom right which, when clicked, scrolled up through the post a screenview at a time, allowing the user to quickly get back to the top of that page should that be desired. That appears to have gone (which is a shame as it was a useful way to return to the top of the page from any point within the post) and now a small arrow appears at the bottom left corner of the post at the end of the post only - which means you have to scroll all the way down before being able to click it ... so that it takes you all the way back to the top again, in one express-train like movement!

Meanwhile in the bottom right corner of the screen is a "Privacy" button which allows the user to select levels of privacy when using RMWeb. I don't see why those options have to be accessible at all times? The "return up" button seems of much more use!

Is this now the way RMWeb presents itself, or is it simply my own admitedly older iPad?

Cheers

Steve S

• Moderators

A new software version came into effect yesterday, the modification for the Page Top arrow seems to be incompatible with it on tablets; it's still there in mobile view. I'll get it returned as soon as I can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2021 at 23:38, SteveyDee68 said:

Hello

Overnight, the layout of RMWeb on my iPad screen has changed...

The screen is divided 2:1 vertically, with posts/main content on the left side and adverts/miscellaneous bits and pieces on the right hand side. There was a small arrow that "floated" above page content bottom right which, when clicked, scrolled up through the post a screenview at a time, allowing the user to quickly get back to the top of that page should that be desired. That appears to have gone (which is a shame as it was a useful way to return to the top of the page from any point within the post) and now a small arrow appears at the bottom left corner of the post at the end of the post only - which means you have to scroll all the way down before being able to click it ... so that it takes you all the way back to the top again, in one express-train like movement!

Meanwhile in the bottom right corner of the screen is a "Privacy" button which allows the user to select levels of privacy when using RMWeb. I don't see why those options have to be accessible at all times? The "return up" button seems of much more use!

Is this now the way RMWeb presents itself, or is it simply my own admitedly older iPad?

Cheers

Steve S

I note @AY Mod has picked this up, so this is additional information only just in case it helps - I’m running on iPadOS 14.8.1 which my iPad says is up to date (it calls itself a 7th Generation iPad).  My screen now looks as @SteveyDee68 describes.

The narrow column presentation is new - don’t know if that is also something that will revert to the previous full-screen width?

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Photo replaced with text - I hadn’t kept a copy of the original image)
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators

I've found an alternative script for the Back to Top button which now seems to work on desktop/tablet/mobile.

The screen widths are what we've had on Android tablets for a while but I will discuss when we've next got a meeting about the ads as that's what's causing that.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Some obs that might help as I am not seeing the above issue mentioned by @SteveyDee68 :-

I browse with Google Chrome. 

Gold member - no commercial ads so not getting the seriously split screen issue mentioned. I do though get the RMweb members ads and BRM cover in a r/h column.

I-pad running 15.1. The only noticeable change is the back to top button is now bigger, an improvement. Ditto on my iPhone which is running 14.8.1.  Screen layout is interactive and I don’t screen lock the aspect so it varies depending on landscape or portrait orientation. (As it is designed to do)

On the desktop mac running the latest OP sys update to macOS12 Monterey, it hiccoughed a view times when I first opened RMweb this morning with very odd screen layouts but after reading three or four screens and refreshes it went back to normal. Also fine under Big Sur 11.6.1 on my MacBookPro.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2021 at 09:46, AY Mod said:

I've found an alternative script for the Back to Top button which now seems to work on desktop/tablet/mobile.

The screen widths are what we've had on Android tablets for a while but I will discuss when we've next got a meeting about the ads as that's what's causing that.

Thanks Andy for the quick response on this.  Certainly for me on my iPad, the screen width has gone back to full screen already which is much appreciated (easier to read).

As a bonus I have a new bigger button for scrolling up - even I can’t miss this one.

The scrolling speed seems more gentle, which is nice, but I don’t know if that’s deliberate or down to my internet speed etc. (that is merely an observation, not a problem, and it gives me a chance to add my own sound effects as it rises)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Photo replaced with text - I didn’t keep a copy of the image)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

The scrolling speed seems more gentle, which is nice, but I don’t know if that’s deliberate or down to my internet speed etc.

It was quite gentle on 'normal', I've sped it up a little but not to the max. Hopefully the compromise works.

• Like 2

Thanks @AY Mod for your help -

1) the full page width has been restored (which makes reading easier) and

2) the new To Top of Page button is excellent - thank you!

Now if I can just find out why 

the text editor slows to a glacial crawl, then freezes, then crashes out necessitating a reboot of the browser and the edited text "rescued" in order to carry on, I'll be a happy bunny!

As it is, commenting upon a post has become a

major chore, and as to editing my own posts ... forget it!!

For information, this response has taken three reboots to complete (see asterisk separators for each reboot of the browser)

Also, I have plenty of free RAM on my iPad (I've been ruthlessly deleting!) and these issues don't happen for any other website, only RMWeb. Sadly, this is the website I use the most!

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 1