stay alive Capacitor question..

40034_Nick

No.   You need some sort of rectifier between the DCC track signal (or DC if analogue) and the capacitors.   That might be as little as one more diode (giving half-wave rectification), or there may be a rectifier in the lighting inside the coach which could be tapped into.   
The rectifier components need to be "fast recovery" as the DCC signal is changing at quite high frequency.   

The components in a bag at the supplier quoted are expensive compared to buying from electronics suppliers.     

- Nigel

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

It looks like this should work because the diode needed for rectification as mentioned by @Nigelcliffe is included. Just make sure you get the connections to the electrolytic capacitor the right way round to avoid inadvertently making a time bomb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2021 at 13:11, JST said:

This one seems to imply that it can be fitted between the decoder and the lights.... is that right?

https://www.layouts4u.net/coach-lighting-tail-lights/dcc-kits-and-tail-lights/anti-flicker-dimmer

This things work amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they can actually fit in the back of a coach. 

Edited by 40034_Nick

1 hour ago, JST said:

Excellent! It is safe for me to buy some now then.....:D

Yes mate.. I ordered another 15 couple of hours ago.. 

One thing i will say is don't put a resistor after the antiflash unit as it already had one on the circuit board.. i had wires going to the ceiling lights which worked and wires going to the back flashing light that needs/had a resistor between the wires so the back flashing light didnt work. the work around was to bypass the anti flicker unit to the back flashing light. so i split the cable just after the wheel pickup which meant the power went direct to the flashing back light avoiding the antiflicker unit.

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Informative/Useful 1

Also what i worked out from a chart is the Anti flicker internal resistor is 10K. and another good thing is once you lifted the coach from the track the lights stay on for ages.. Seriously great piece of kit. just wish i had tried it a few years ago :-( 

Edited by 40034_Nick