Dobwalls Steam Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

To bring people up to date, I'm sure most people are aware of the sad demise of Dobwalls Adventure Park in Cornwall. At its heyday, it had many miniature live steam and diesel American outline locomotives, with the impressive Big Boy "William Jeffers" as the jewel in the crown. Back in 2007 it finally closed after 25 years.

The locos soon changed hands and moved to the Plowmans Garden Centre near Bournemouth. However, due to planning issues with the local authority, the railway ceased operations.

This is where things get interesting...

Apparently, on another forum, it was stated that in last months Old Glory magazine, it was announced that the locos had been put up for sale again, and were being shipped to Australia. Indeed, even Wikipedia has picked up on this, however its firmly left as a rumour and needing citation.

So does anyone know what was published in Old Glory? Does anyone know if they are being shipped to Australia? Or is this all simply just rumour? Anyone know?

Alas, the story is true, the Dobwalls collection has gone to Australia, the details are also recounted in the latest 'Heritage Railway'. The new owner is involved in the Puffing Billy Railway and a new line will be built on an adjacent property. It is not yet known whether the line will be open to the public.

Colin

Its a pity, but it was a sad sight to see them at Plowmans. Only 1 still running, a very short circuit of line and nobody on them. They had lots of grand plans, but neither the space or finances to carry it through.

I remember Dobwalls from my earliest holidays in Cornwall, even taking my own children the year before it closed. They had a great track layout, regular running and plenty to do. I think if the recession had hit a year later and more people had holidayed in the UK, Dobwalls might not have closed.

I hope they go to a good home, are restored and put back into public service.

• RMweb Premium

Its a pity, but it was a sad sight to see them at Plowmans. Only 1 still running, a very short circuit of line and nobody on them. They had lots of grand plans, but neither the space or finances to carry it through.

I remember Dobwalls from my earliest holidays in Cornwall, even taking my own children the year before it closed. They had a great track layout, regular running and plenty to do. I think if the recession had hit a year later and more people had holidayed in the UK, Dobwalls might not have closed.

I hope they go to a good home, are restored and put back into public service.

Dobwalls would have had problems given that they built the much needed Dobwalls bypass over part of the site.

Dobwalls would have had problems given that they built the much needed Dobwalls bypass over part of the site.

No they didn't, the bypass is a lot further south than the park (check out the latest OS 1:25000 or google maps).

I believe the motivation for closing the park was partly financial and partly because the family were no longer interested in running it.

Its a shame the garden centre's owners weren't able to make a go of it as it was a brilliant collection and one which held many happy childhood memories.

• 2 years later...

Dobwalls ruled. It was one of the saddest days when I heard that it had closed. I visited every year from 1980 to 1991, then again in 2003. It was great all of those times. Thanks to all those that posted videos of it on Youtube!

• 9 months later...

Again, fond memories of the place. Absolutely magical. The bypass is well to the south and would have had no effect on the park during construction. With slip roads to the village, it may even have improved visitor numbers had the park survived until the bypass opened. Bearing in mind the date of closure ties in pretty well with the start of recession, the demise of Dobwalls would appear to be due to financial constraints. It must have been incredibly hard to make the place pay. I know there had been plans to expand with holiday lodges etc. Shame.

post-17811-0-09418500-1381471548_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Again, fond memories of the place. Absolutely magical. The bypass is well to the south and would have had no effect on the park during construction. With slip roads to the village, it may even have improved visitor numbers had the park survived until the bypass opened. Bearing in mind the date of closure ties in pretty well with the start of recession, the demise of Dobwalls would appear to be due to financial constraints. It must have been incredibly hard to make the place pay. I know there had been plans to expand with holiday lodges etc. Shame.

attachicon.gifdob.jpg

I understand the closedown was connected with retirement plus (which could well be recession related) nobody could be found to purchase it as a going concern.

Archived