Necropolis railway possibilities?

12 hours ago, grow45 said:

@Listerboy.  I am in the process  of sorting through my late Father's railway book collection and one of them I came across a couple of days ago was the Oakwood book on the Necropolis Railway.  If it is of interest I am happy to stick it in the post in exchange for a donation to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society Morayshire fund  -   SRPS Morayshire Fundraising

Happy to send it to anybody else but only fair Listerboy gets first call on it.

9780853616559-uk.jpg

Yes please!!! PM me for details. 

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2021 at 15:33, Listerboy said:

I've been thinking of the possibilities of the Necropolis railways in London. Would it be beyond the realms of possibility that when they stopped running, that the station was used as a relief to the nearby terminal? 

Certain services relocated? 

Thoughts? 

At the risk of suggesting something completely unlike what you're proposing, if you want to model a small London terminus that closed but assuming it survived, you could do a smaller version of Broad Street or perhaps Blackwall terminus.  Minories has of course been done before (just outside Fenchurch St/Tower Hill) but there is also the option of an "overflow" station outside Liverpool Street using the site of the goods depot, alongside the current Shoreditch High St.

Well, everyday is a school day so the saying goes.  And today has been for me!  I've always thought the Necropolis station was alongside the west side of Waterloo, not half a mile or more away!  I must take more time reading stuff properly in future......................

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 14:17, adb968008 said:

The line still exists.

its used for stabling EMUs when spare at Waterloo, its recently relaid track too.

You can see it here fading out to the centre left corner beyond the stabled 455.

446A1350-79D5-45DE-A2E2-ABFB97AAFD0D.jpeg.2495608f208dffb36151d02e55484189.jpeg

I was walking around the area a couple of months ago and I think that you have the incorrect location for the station site.

The siding to the left of the 455 is for the sub-station. 

The actual site is the brightly painted portacabins going into the concrete tower block with the black windows.

These portacabins were the training rooms and are now something to do with film making.

They are still accessed by steel stairs.

The frontage is still in place.

20211001_115828.jpg.6411514b40e869fe805253f5ff17b440.jpg

The building to the left is the concrete block.

When looking at the station plan the entrance was off to one side and there were buildings between the end of the platforms and the road.

Considering the bomb damage, I would not think it unreasonable that the station could have been repaired with lengthened platforms and using the station frontage. Passing through were the concrete building and up to the Westminster Bridge Road. Perhaps even going over it.

The station would be nearer to Lambeth North Underground station than Waterloo so that might be a name for it.

Andy

• Like 1