Triang English Electric Type 3

Darius43

Superb!  Mind you I have always thought it was a missed trick having the same head codes on opposite ends, as not only would that almost never have happened in real life,  you could have one head code for passenger, and one for freight so you could at least have half a chance of having an appropriate head code by turning the model around.  Of course if you only intend using it for freight and keeping it Triang you could have 4C01 on one end so one way would be unfitted and the other fully fitted.

Nice work; almost, but not quite ex-works. I remember the '68ers' arriving during my final year in primary school; the school was about 50 or so yards from a heavily graded and curved line, and lessons would stop when they came past. This wasn't because the teachers were railway enthusiasts, but because they couldn't be heard over the loco.

One thing I remember on both these, and the Brush Type 4s, was that the windscreens had a purplish tint, due to some sort of de-icing film. I've replicated this in the past by using a Magic Marker, applied lightly.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Made a start on number three.

112C95BC-BE41-4929-93F4-DE9EB01E4A4C.jpeg.e778c836dabe9405cda109cef09f0ce2.jpeg

C4DB3DC7-2B4E-4FB0-A314-90EF4974006B.jpeg.d5f23947bd0ba95ee12a4b05b090042f.jpeg

4D4D32D4-C48D-4D67-B7F8-BF6C4C86EEB9.jpeg.2ba97a16c771ddda5d7640847c170f91.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Lovely stuff, the Triang Hornby 37 is one of my top 3 models and really scrubs up well. ( And they make as much noise as the real thing .....! :D)

• Thanks 1

A blue one to run with the green ones? My suggestion would be Stratford's D6753 with numbers above cabside BR logos :good:

(Also available in the North East - D6773/97 & 6812 - although the latter was a late repaint without Ds, and D6773 didn't run long in this livery variant as it quickly got bent and was rebuilt with centre headcode panels.....)

• RMweb Premium

As a result of buying too many eBay job lots which included spare bodies over the years, I have 15 of these to practice on.  I won't achieve this standard - certainly not straight away - but thanks for giving me something to aim for, absolutely superb.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

As a result of buying too many eBay job lots which included spare bodies over the years, I have 15 of these to practice on.  I won't achieve this standard - certainly not straight away - but thanks for giving me something to aim for, absolutely superb.

You could always pass 'em over to Darius, he'd have 'em all done in a fortnight! :D

Ah............but then you wouldn't benefit from all that practice........sorry, forget I said that!

• Funny 2

I did loads of these in the early 1980s, mostly following the articles by Monty Wells in Railway Modeller and using Craftsman detailing kits. It was the only way to get a decent Class 37 until Lima brought their one out.

I reckon I must have ruined about half a dozen of them trying to make a Baby Deltic. :laugh:

Enthusiastic youngster without proper tools such as a razor saw often meant a mess.  :butcher: They were only cheap second hand though. ISTR they were going for about £3 in Hattons.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did loads of these in the early 1980s, mostly following the articles by Monty Wells in Railway Modeller and using Craftsman detailing kits. It was the only way to get a decent Class 37 until Lima brought their one out.

I reckon I must have ruined about half a dozen of them trying to make a Baby Deltic. :laugh:

Enthusiastic youngster without proper tools such as a razor saw often meant a mess.  :butcher: They were only cheap second hand though. ISTR they were going for about £3 in Hattons.

Jason

You were presumably following Monty's lead, as I remember he tackled a Baby Deltic in his articles - on a Hornby Class 29 chassis IIRC. 

I was surprised to find this on Swindon Stabling Point on 8/4/84.....

304968907_WP_20211118_15_21_02_Pro(2).jpg.df0abe65c7177dd60888d9e82b668815.jpg

.....AFAIK the only large logo repaint the Works ever did. Looking at the retention of frost grilles, bufferbeam valances and glass headcode panels I realised that the Hornby model was perfect for a paint job so I had one running on the Swindon club layout at their exhibition 7 months later. I think the SMS waterslide transfers I used were the only ones available at the time. I modified the windscreens (in the absence of etched parts) and also the bogie sideframes which I cut down along their top edges to make them look more English Electric and less Brush, which also allowed the body/underframe to be lowered. I really liked this livery and now I'm getting tempted to have another go at a 'Triang' 37183 - and this time I have the windscreen etches - and oddly enough, number sets on a rub-down sheet! Hmmm.....

• Like 5

Just retrieved this from the loft, to check how well a Hornby body would fit onto a Lima chassis I already have (purely for research purposes you understand, nothing to do with having another go at 37183......he says nonchalantly......) - one I did (and referred to) earlier:

WP_20211126_14_43_11_Pro.jpg.6d7bfe7b92c647c175d2f53db6372acd.jpg

This was purchased in bits from various sources, but started with an unpainted maroon body I couldn't resist for a few quid. The bogie side frames are, I think, Dave Alexander whitemetal which I was given as part of a job lot (which provoked a lot of jobs!) - if these were intended to improve the Hornby 37 it was a pity the axleboxes don't quite align with the wheel centres, but perhaps they do on a Hornby 31.....

I've also had a rummage through my stock of SE Flushglaze and sadly, yes I do have a set for a Hornby 37 going spare. Sadly? If you could see the state of my worktop you'd know why I don't need any more projects! But judging from many of the photos on RMWeb I'm by no means the only one in this predicament.....!!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Just retrieved this from the loft, to check how well a Hornby body would fit onto a Lima chassis

The bogie side frames are, I think, Dave Alexander whitemetal which I was given as part of a job lot

The side frames look very Lima Deltic, which probably explains why the axle boxes don't line up.  The footsteps are Deltic variety too,  with the old trick of putting the bogie back to front to get them to line up, which also results in the middle brake cylinder being the wrong way round as they should be behind the footsteps on a 37.

Edited by Titan
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Titan said:

The side frames look very Lima Deltic, which probably explains why the axle boxes don't line up.  The footsteps are Deltic variety too,  with the old trick of putting the bogie back to front to get them to line up, which also results in the middle brake cylinder being the wrong way round as they should be behind the footsteps on a 37.

You're right, they are very Lima Deltic in appearance and to me it looks like DA had one in front of him for a reference, but they are definitely longer - just not quite long enough! TBH there would be little to be gained by making whitemetal replicas of something that was already wrong. The footsteps were cut from a length of punched metal ladder supplied with the Hornby diesel servicing depot kit which I never bothered to fit - I found another length at an exhibition and made many sets of bogie footsteps from them, not always accurately (as here) but on the assumption that any footsteps were better than none. At least being punched steel they're quite robust. I wonder if you can get these ladder strips as spares - I've never thought of looking......until now.......

It was helpful that the Hornby 37/47 bogie frames were already narrow, so minimal filing down of the sideframe detail was required before attaching the castings with Evostik Impact, lined up on the middle axle. Of course, I (ahem) deliberately fitted them this way round so that the middle brake cylinders didn't get in the way of fitting the footsteps.......OK, not much of an excuse, is it? No, it was just a c*ck-up, good spot :swoon:!

• Like 1

Hi Darius, very interesting  builds, my first ever detailing project was one of these following the Monty Wells article in Airfix magazine from 1980 and it was great fun. One modification you might consider is gently carving off the marker lights off the "stalks", sanding the stalks away then gluing the marker light on the body.

My original model is still around somewhere, I repainted it 3 times and it ended up as 37215 in Petroleum livery.  I ended up giving it to one of the Growler Group guys who put a charity donation in the pot for it to help the upkeep of the real 37215.

• Like 4

On 25/11/2021 at 18:40, Halvarras said:

You were presumably following Monty's lead, as I remember he tackled a Baby Deltic in his articles - on a Hornby Class 29 chassis IIRC. 

Very much so. Virtually to the letter.

Articles in Railway Modeller May and June 1983, the Class 37 article was January. I don't think I got around to fitting a chassis to the 23 though. All in a box somewhere.

Jason

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Very much so. Virtually to the letter.

Articles in Railway Modeller May and June 1983, the Class 37 article was January. I don't think I got around to fitting a chassis to the 23 though. All in a box somewhere.

Jason

Didn't he describe a photo of his model upside-down as view of a "dead Baby Deltic"?! The things I remember.....

Never thought I'd ever see anyone attempt the 37-to-23 conversion in 12 inches to the foot scale.......but that's thread drift, sorry Darius!

Back on topic, I've found a Hornby 37 body and original chassis frame (only) on sale, just ripe for a Railroad transplant as you've done.......oh gawd, why did I even look, now I feel a sense of inevitability coming on.........just ignore it :read: maybe it will go away......!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work there. Its always good to see people resurrecting and modernising older Models. I have an old Traing  D6830 body in Blue that was originally done as 37507 and fitted to a Modified Lima Chassis. Its now being redone  as 37116 in Colas for my Littleman but I've had to rebuild it in places due to damage. Still reckon it'll look good when its done. 

Cut a little bit to much away on the nose at each end originally so will have to extend downwards  to get the correct shape used Plasticard to refill the noses and then filled over with a Correction fluid (got ten bottles from Amazon Q Connect 20ml Correction Fluid - Pack of 10 : Amazon.co.uk: Stationery & Office Supplies) once dry it sands quite well.  Really need to sand those D lights off and replace. I do have some spare Crafstman ones from a 40 detailing kit somewhere that should do it.

Really need to replace those window frames as well. Darius 43 what make are the etches you have used?

20211215_131913.jpg

20211215_132019.jpg

Really want to Swap the Radiator Grille for the Correct type if I can get one!

20211215_131932.jpg

Still needs a bit of work on the roof  but will get there

20211215_132033.jpg

The lower Bodyside section where the Chassis clips in was snapped away so had to replace but I think I may have sanded back to far as the body looks a little short in height from the door to the nose. 

20211215_132044.jpg

Hopefully the Colas livery will sit better on this Body than it does on the Lima Body I'm also doing. 

Thanks For Sharing 

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
photos added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1