Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Chris Marchant (CJM)

AY Mod

I first became aware of Chris and CJM models when I became Trade Liasion Officer for the N Gauge Society in the mid 1990s. He was the most skilled, determined and enthusiastic (N Gauge) modeller I have met.  He had a very down to earth and straight forward approach in all modelling aspects.

I cannot think of anyone else that has had a more valueable contribution to the raising of N Gauge modelling standards. We developed a long friendship and I was lucky enough to have airbrushing lessons from the master. During our frequent discussions he related many tips to me, I think this was the most important - it is always in my mind when I am making models. We were discussing accuracy, Chris said;

'It's not any more difficult to get something right as it is wrong. A measurement of 15.5mm is no harder to achieve than 15.0mm.'

Thank you Chris.

Condolenses to Matthew, Gareth, and Marian. 

Duncan.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A great gent and will be missed, I enjoyed all my purchases and indeed the Saturn Chassis was a brilliant evolution.   I recall at a TINGS show he rocked up in a gold finish motor CJM1 !!    As said always willing to offer advice and supply parts with a  smile.   Ben has said it all- thanks. 

Robert  

• Friendly/supportive 3

I had the privilege of working with Chris for many years. He was always very professional, worked hard and provided a First Class product, not to mention ongoing support for what he made. More than that though, he was a good friend. Thanks Chris, going to miss our chats.

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 11

Very sad news. My CJM 92 remains the pride of my collection of rolling stock and is an outstanding model even compared to the RTR Revolution model. Chris was always a pleasure to deal with and a truly central figure in pushing British N gauge forward.

The 92 will be running around my Kato test track later today in memory.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gang,

I first met Chris a number of years ago and we built a friendship ever since then. I have bought various locos from him over the years, and obtained several 2nd hand that he was only too willing to ‘breathe’ over to bring them back to their full glory. All this was done willingly and with the occasional visit to Kent to receive advice and tips on how to better my own modelling skills. I never left his workshop without some advice or a little bit of detailing parts or decals to help me on my way. 

His love of large scale modelling and Ferrari were his way of separating the work side from his pleasure. His detailing and paint finish on an 1/24 F15 ‘Eagle’ aircraft were a sight to behold.

He was truly happy with Marion and it was a joy to see them together. He has raised a couple of fine boys and was blessed with grandchildren. 
We always chatted about the detachments I spent flying with the RAF in various sandpits around the world and especially the Falkland Islands. It was painful to see him suffer failing health in the last few years and we talked over the difficulties he was experiencing with coordination to continue his painting and modelling. He remained enthusiastic throughout and his passing is a sad loss to anyone who has ever had the joy of owning his products. I was truly proud to regard him as a friend.

Per Ardua ad Astra, Chris.

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3