Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Obstacle Deflectors, not Air Dams!

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Damn ! I thought they were dams - because I know they ain’t snowploughs - I thought obstacle deflectors were the “ lifesavers “, those metal bits that hang down ?

I simply call the bit on the front of a 66 below the buffers the skirt, agreed, the obstacle deflector is the lifesaver directly in front of the wheel 

as for class 60s having ‘snowploughs’ I’m not sure they are for snow in particular, I think they may have been planned to be used for ballast ploughing in possessions etc and they used to be able to be raised up and down but the mechanism is locked off now with lock wire, some of the locos I’ve driven still carry the tool to raise and lower them them in the clean air end, almost like a cranking handle

• Informative/Useful 4

Okay I accept that it has an aerodynamic effect and may help the airflow under the front end, but I would think the main reason would be to protect the equipment fitted under there, electrical gear, coupling parts, air tanks etc. getting hit by obstacles. 

14 hours ago, big jim said:

I simply call the bit on the front of a 66 below the buffers the skirt, agreed, the obstacle deflector is the lifesaver directly in front of the wheel 

as for class 60s having ‘snowploughs’ I’m not sure they are for snow in particular, I think they may have been planned to be used for ballast ploughing in possessions etc and they used to be able to be raised up and down but the mechanism is locked off now with lock wire, some of the locos I’ve driven still carry the tool to raise and lower them them in the clean air end, almost like a cranking handle

That's very interesting about the 60, never knew that .

As there is some question mark about the 66 , I think I'll carry on calling them " the bits from the accessory pack " ;)

On 25/11/2021 at 17:57, big jim said:

When I did my trainer the trainer course for the 60s it was definitely a snowplough.

The 156 and 158s have both obstacle and snowploughs, generally Scottish and ex Scottish ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

On a 142 the obstacle deflector was the main res tank, lowest point being the drain cock! I hit something approaching Cross Gates on a Victoria to York service once. Immediate loss of air and the brakes on, I was struggling to close the now open drain cock so tapped it with my bardic lamp, it fell off! Luckily I found a decent bit of roundish wood and hammered it into the whole with the bardic until it wouldn't budge. Newton Heath being the efficient depot that it was left it like that in service for several days!

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I dunno, a damaged obstacle deflector could mean the loco or unit is a failure, a damaged air dam isn’t a safety critical item requiring it be declared a failure, two totally different items 

for example a missing obstacle deflector (life guard) on a 66 is a failure but if the front air dam (skirt) is a bit bent, but not effecting the safety of the loco, then it can continue until repaired