Will we ever see the the Class 58’s repatriated?

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering what the chances of the stored Class 58’s in Alizay, Fr ever will return to the UK for further use.  Those that went to Spain, several have been scrapped and those remaining are unlikely to return.

It would be interesting to see if they ever will return.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Will they be worth bringing back by the time there's any work for them to do? I doubt that knackered and smokey 1980s diesels are exactly in fashion at the moment.

I was thinking of grandfather rights and given the shortage of new loco’s available due to emissions, could they be prime candidates for rebuilding?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

Given they've had the copper cabling robbed from them, unlikely.

It depends on what level of 'rebuilding' is intended.

The 56 to 69 conversion has involved a complete re-wire and replacement of may items so a 58 with most of its copper wiring stolen wouldn't be an issue per say if a similar project to the 69 conversion was undertaken on it.

If on the other hand we are talking about just a refurb (i.e. with the intention of it being used as a class 58 then the theft of copper wiring makes the proposal a non starter as repairing / replacing the damage inflates the project costs so it no longer becomes an 'easy win'

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If the frames and bogies are still salvageable then a completely new genset type loco from the frame upwards is not beyond possibility, many an old SD and GP series in North America have been extensively rebuilt into hybrid and even now fully battery electric locos but the appetite for such things here in the UK seems to be severely lacking so scrap is more likely to be the outcome.

• RMweb Gold

Do DBS even own them now ?

I’m assuming someone, somewhere is paying rent to store these ?

I read somewhere the spanish ones have already been scrapped, which is a pity as they were more likely in better condition.

The only likely growth in UK freight is likely to be HS2 construction, which I would imagine would be considerable, but as this is likely all low speed traffic on HS2 only, i’d imagine HST power cars could do this top and tailed.

Edited by adb968008

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Leave them rotting out in the open, sounds very much their style.

However, I think they sold the Spanish ones to Transfesa, the French ones came back to Eastleigh and were disposed of.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Is 58050 one of those? I thought that was supposed to go to the NRM..

It might have done had someone like EWS (as was) delivered it to York/Shildon and handed it over but I really can't see the NRM forking out hard cash to repatriate it. I suspect that 58050 has well and truly missed it's chance....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, admiles said:

It might have done had someone like EWS (as was) delivered it to York/Shildon and handed it over but I really can't see the NRM forking out hard cash to repatriate it. I suspect that 58050 has well and truly missed it's chance....

That’s if it still exists!  I believe 8 of the 10 that went to Spain have been scrapped.

On 11/11/2021 at 16:52, adb968008 said:

Who?

As far as the rail freight division is concerned, DBS went back to being named DBC again, almost 6 years ago.

DBS are a logistics company and don't operate any locos or trains.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

There are plenty of class 60s available if there is demand for recond diesel freight locos. There are 2 class 58s at Leicester and no work for them to do.

Dava

• RMweb Premium
On 12/11/2021 at 17:44, Dava said:

There are plenty of class 60s available if there is demand for recond diesel freight locos. There are 2 class 58s at Leicester and no work for them to do.

Dava

58050 is significant in its own right - I can’t remember the reasons off hand. The preserved 58s are just other preserved locos and don’t merit preservation in the National Collection in their own right.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

58050 is significant in its own right - I can’t remember the reasons off hand. The preserved 58s are just other preserved locos and don’t merit preservation in the National Collection in their own right.

Last mainline loco constructed at Doncaster, IIRC.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 17:44, Dava said:

Dava

2x class 69’s at Tonbridge don't do much either, last job was to go get the 3rd.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2021 at 15:17, Simon Bendall said:

Given they've had the copper cabling robbed from them, unlikely.

I just wonder if there’s any truth in the rumours about the copper wiring being stolen?