Model Rail Scotland 2022

arran

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m hoping that Omicron has passed by then .  I really want to go , not missed a show since 1973, except for 2020 obviously , but I think the wise thing to do is make a decision closer to time , a luxury the organizers don’t have . I’m lost in all the rules at the moment but if the rules we currently have in Scotland are still in force then I think it can’t go ahead as the max indoors is 500? 

let’s hope this blasted virus has abated by Feb 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m hoping that Omicron has passed by then .  I really want to go , not missed a show since 1973, except for 2020 obviously , but I think the wise thing to do is make a decision closer to time , a luxury the organizers don’t have . I’m lost in all the rules at the moment but if the rules we currently have in Scotland are still in force then I think it can’t go ahead as the max indoors is 500? 

let’s hope this blasted virus has abated by Feb 

It's max 100 for indoor standing events with 1m distancing, so Model Rail will be a non starter if those rules are still in force.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

From yesterday (26 December) until 11 January, attendance at large events in Scotland has been limited to 100 people for indoor standing events. I don't envy the decisions the organisers have to make as nobody knows what the situation will be at the end of February.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Jason Leitch was saying today that the ban on large gatherings should stay until April, which would mean no 2022 exhibition unless the organisers could move the venue to Carlisle.  Then again, the virus makes fools of everyone who tries to predict its course.  Perhaps cases will fall so fast that the ban will be lifted at the end of this month?  As others have said, all of this makes life extremely hard for the organisers.

• Agree 2

In context, Jason Leitch was responding to a comment regarding holding Edinburgh Hogmanay Street Party in April - 30,000 people in a fairly restricted ( outdoor) area which in previous years has lasted @6-7 hrs.   

Whether MRS proceeds or not, is most likely to be determined by the Scottish Covid restrictions update currently due in mid-January, and the organisers ability to comply with that.
Until then, lack of official statements regarding the exhibition suggest to me that MRS remains scheduled. 

4 hours ago, IanN said:

... lack of official statements regarding the exhibition suggest to me that MRS remains scheduled. 

Yes, Model Rail Scotland remains scheduled for now.  Technically the decision whether it should go ahead or not rests with the 30 odd affiliated clubs and the next meeting of the affiliated clubs is scheduled for 16 January.  In past years, that has been a straightforward update from the organising committee on the current status of the show preparations, but it could be a very different meeting this year depending on what the Scottish Government announce to MSPs this week and next.

The decision to cancel last year's show was relatively straightforward: this one much less so.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As someone who was in charge of organising large bonfire and fireworks displays for past 2 years, you have my sympathy.

My experience:

- Everyone who doesn’t stand a chance of losing their shirt will say the event should go ahead.

- Those with no interest in the event will say organising such an event in current times is irresponsible.

- The government guidelines will keep changing and how/whether you can comply or not will be subject of huge debate.

- People not involved in the event org will start publicising that it is / is not going ahead and cause confusion

Of course the big issue at the end of the day is not whether guidelines can be complied with but whether the event can be run and not generate a loss (either due to limiting entry or because the turnout is lower than normal as people think twice about attending).

In our (quite different) case we went for it in 2021 whilst many other displays cancelled. In the end we doubled our profit (for charity I should say) on normal years as there was pent up demand with cancellations of previous years and other local events - of course the additional attendance made complying to rules more difficult… Ultimately we took a bit of a risk and the reward was higher - but it could have gone the other way.

As someone who regularly attends MRS I do hope it does go ahead but making that call is a nightmare for the org committee and the worst outcome would be for the event to go ahead but lose money.  Good luck - rest assured I will be there if you decide to go ahead (unlike my bonfire night where I succumbed to Covid pneumonia and ended up in hospital missing my own event… at least I had a strong committee who stepped up!).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We could always pretend that the SEC is 10 Downing Street - we all know the rules don't seem to apply there!!:nono:

I agree it looks like all of numbers are now heading the right way, so hopefully Model Rail Scotland will go ahead.  Fingers crossed its a success financially.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dungrange said:

We could always pretend that the SEC is 10 Downing Street - we all know the rules don't seem to apply there!!:nono:

I agree it looks like all of numbers are now heading the right way, so hopefully Model Rail Scotland will go ahead.  Fingers crossed its a success financially.

Well if it was down south the rules are more relaxed and sensible  "my opinion"

@Eddie R v2.0 the problem is that Covid is now emdemic, it's here to stay and there will always be a risk.

By next year we will have tuned the treatments (anti virals) and vaccinations will be for the most vulnerable, it will be business as usual but the risk will remain.

I understand your reluctance to mix, I feel it too but at some point we have to bring ourselves back into society otherwise we risk permantly leaving ourselves afraid of others.  Subject to reasonable train services by then, I would like to make the trip to Glasgow and it will be a step into the unknown for me too as I find crowds uncomfortable.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I can see where Eddie comes from . I do hope it goes ahead . If it does I'll take all relevant precautions FFP3 mask , car there and back , try and avoid crowded exhibits until they are more accessible . I'm wondering if a visit late in the day might be better in that repect . I'm usually an early morning person but crowds do thin out as the days go on .  

Fingers crossed

12 minutes ago, Legend said:

I can see where Eddie comes from . I do hope it goes ahead . If it does I'll take all relevant precautions FFP3 mask , car there and back , try and avoid crowded exhibits until they are more accessible . I'm wondering if a visit late in the day might be better in that repect . I'm usually an early morning person but crowds do thin out as the days go on .  

Fingers crossed

HI 

Sunday first thing is always a slow start so that my suit you best if your an early doors person

Regards Arran

• Like 1

Maybe it will be different this year, but in previous years the exhibition hall becomes quite crowded in the afternoon.  Standing shoulder to shoulder in front of the better stands, or squeezing through the crowds to get around means that you can't help but breathe the same air as hundreds of other people.  This was all part of the experience of a great show.  

To my mind a football crowd is an easier sell as being outdoors, there is much greater air circulation.  Besides which, fans sit in one place during the match and mingle less than at an exhibition.

No argument that we need to get to a normal society at some point, and we're far closer to normal now than we were a year or 18 months ago.  I had indented to go to Glasgow at the end of February but I am starting to wonder if I'm quite yet ready to plunge into a dense, indoor crowd.  Even if the effects of the virus are mild, a week of self isolation would still be disruptive.

Checking the SEC website I see they state "face coverings are mandatory at all times during the event".  Sadly, this is probably still necessary but it does rather diminish the enjoyment.

Anyway, good luck to the organisers.  We need successful exhibitions to happen at some point soon and I will attend at some time, maybe even this year.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 03/01/2022 at 16:10, Dungrange said:

Yes, Model Rail Scotland remains scheduled for now.  Technically the decision whether it should go ahead or not rests with the 30 odd affiliated clubs and the next meeting of the affiliated clubs is scheduled for 16 January.  In past years, that has been a straightforward update from the organising committee on the current status of the show preparations, but it could be a very different meeting this year depending on what the Scottish Government announce to MSPs this week and next.

The decision to cancel last year's show was relatively straightforward: this one much less so.

Any news?

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Scottish Govt makes decision 24/1 . 

I believe Kilmarnock MRC have exhibition organised at Irvine Maritime Museum for 29/30th . Hopefully that goes ahead too , although obviously much smaller than Model Rail Scotland .   The Maritime museum is quite large so I suppose exhibits can be spread out more . In previous years I've joked that it might as well be held out doors because its usually freezing and draughty , but that might well now be an advantage!  

I was looking at trains last night, I don't know if the timetables have been updated yet, the one's I saw looked different from the one Avanti have published for this week for example - but 76 quid return for an Advance in cattle or 126 quid for cattle with a table.

That's quite a fare for a Model Railway show and there is no way I can do 8 hours driving in one day, so I may not be going and I really like Model Rail Scotland, usually a lot of stuff I won't see south of the border.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I'm supposed to be seeing the Stranglers at the O2 on the 29th. If that goes ahead there's no reason why MRS shouldn't. It's only 40 minutes or so drive for me so I'd likely turn up early Sunday. It would be really nice to attend at least one exhibition this year :)

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@TEAMYAKIMA  This is the latest, open air event crowds back on from this week, but it will be another week before a decision on indoor events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60014556

This came in to force today, the decision was announced last Tuesday.

The lifting of restrictions on indoor events are expected to follow on January 24th, the update is expected to be announced to the Scottish Parliament tomorrow (Tuesday 17th).

As for the show, as one of the organising team we're carrying on our planning as normal for the show to go ahead.

Edited by Craig Watson
Spelling!!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1