Die Weißeritztalbahn

rekoboy

In my article on the KJ1 I mentioned that I had had two railway adventures in October. The second was a trip on the Weißeritztalbahn, Freital-Hainsberg - Kurort Kipsdorf, on which I had not travelled since the 1980s. This 750mm gauge line runs from Freital (on the Dresden-Chemnitz main line) up almost to the Czech border, and is now the oldest Saxon narrow gauge line still in service. It was on the Deutsche Reichsbahn hitlist for closure as long ago as the mid 1960s, but the line survived because of the foundry at Schmiedeberg and one or two customers at Dippoldiswalde for whom road transport for the heavy and bulk loads on the winding roads was not an option. Since reunification, of course, the winding roads have been widened and straightened, and although the foundry has survived, rail freight traffic has not. I got to know the line thanks to my brother in law Waldemar whose work for Leipzig University Faculty of Agriculture had taken him to an experimental farm near Dippoldiswalde. I am including a photo taken at Dippoldiswalde from that period to show why I was absolutely entranced by the railway when I first saw it! In 2002 the line came dangerously close to oblivion when it was all but destroyed in the catastrophic floods - rebuilding took 15 years, no less. At first the authorities saw little need to rebuild the Weißeritztalbahn, but then its role as a tourism magnet was recognised. Along with the lines from Radebeul Ost-Radeberg and Cranzahl-Oberwiesental the Weißeritztalbahn now belongs to the Sächsische Dampfeisenbahngesellschaft (SDG), well funded by the Saxon state. Everything on the line is perfect, from the beautiful station buildings to the condition of the track. The only fly in the ointment is a rather thin timetable which needs just one loco in steam. Our train, in spite of the damp weather, included the 'cabrio carriage' and the yellow and white saloon which was booked, I think, for a private party.

Güterzug_Dipps.jpg

Bhf Hainsberg.jpg

Abfahrt!.jpg

Der Zug.jpg

Wasser fassen in Dipps.jpg

Viel Dampf.jpg

Kipsdorf1.jpg

Kipsdorf2.jpg

Kipsdorf3.jpg

• Like 14

The Weißeritz is a river which has its source in the mountains near Kipsdorf. The letter ß is pronounced as 'ss'. 'Tal' is the German noun for '(river) valley', and 'Bahn' is, of course, railway. So 'die Weißeritztalbahn' is the rail line in the Weißeritz Valley.

Edited by rekoboy
  • Thanks 1

That's a bit nearer to places that I am familiar with. I have travelled on the main line and on various routes between Dresden and Leipzig.

I have located a photograph of the terminus by Gunter Mayer that would seem to be from around 1964, though undated. The building is virtually unchanged, even the sign is the same. The track across the platform is later as is the platform surface. There was at one time an extensive set of sidings over to the left in your photograph. Mushroom lamps have replaced double pendant lamps. Much of the background also remains the same.

Now for the odd bit.

My father in law was involved in plant breeding and worked on a farm near Grimma that was part of what later became the Max Planck Society. SWMBO went to Leipzig University and one of her brothers worked there for many years as a Lab Technician.

I have recently heard that the Beucha - Trebsen line, along with a few other lines in Saxony is the subject of a survey into re-opening. It was closed to passengers after Brandis some time after reunification and some time later this section was also closed. There is still a weekly freight service, so the line exists and is in a reasonable condition. My family has a weekend house that is a short walk from one of the small stations on the line and when I first began to visit the GDR I had the pleasure of riding in the "piglet carriers" AKA "blood blisters" to get there from Leipzig.

Bernard

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Wow, Bernard! Fascinating coincidences! After the end of the GDR Waldemar moved on from the university and set himself up as an IT advisor. He lives in Erfurt and is still working almost full-time at the age of 75! He says he cannot imagine a life without work!

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky to travel the full length of the line to Kurot Kipsdorf a couple of days before the rains came in 2002. 

We were staying in Dresden doing most of the narrow gauge lines around Dresden and started our journey back home early in the morning just before the rains came....... We had to skip breakfast in the hotel and left with a packed breakfast!

Keith