Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Russ ‘Sacko’ Saxton

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this on Facebook. Devastating news. Condolences to the family and all who were close to him. A great bloke who knew so much about pre TOPs era …. Have spent evenings chatting with him on line on our common ground. 

You will be missed Russ …. Your books will live on, wonderful references. So sad. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just seen it too Phil, terrible news. I had much correspondence with Russ, and have some of my photos in his new book. A huge contributor to all we know about the wonderful green/maroon/blue transition era, without Russ’s efforts much would remain unknown. RIP.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Downendian said:

I’ve just seen it too Phil, terrible news. I had much correspondence with Russ, and have some of my photos in his new book. A huge contributor to all we know about the wonderful green/maroon/blue transition era, without Russ’s efforts much would remain unknown. RIP.

I was up at Pirton Lane bridge in the dark waiting for Duchess of Sutherland when I heard. At least there was a TTGSYP Brush type 4 on the back for Russ….

• Friendly/supportive 2

What a shock!   I have the greatest respect for Russ and his strive to complete the history of BR diesel and electric loco liveries. I also had many a communication with him and feel it quite an honour that he had used quite a few of my images in his books. I had wondered why I hadn't heard from him recently and I hope his methodical research can be perpetuated into a Russell Bible of BR Diesel & Electric Liveries, which I know was his ultimate goal.     R.I.P. Russ!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's hard to believe that just days ago, Sacko was posting a run of upcoming live dates for his bands, Sack Sabbath and Synner, and chatting about a follow-up of some description to his two recent books on loco liveries, along with of course, his characteristic robust debate of everything social and political....

I will echo comments elsewhere that have emphasized the importance of making every day count, living each day to the full, because we just don't know which will be our last, or what lies round the corner. I know this fella gave everything 200%, be it taking excellent photos, teaching his beloved guitar in such a well-respected way, rehearsing and playing live, enjoying decent East Midlands ale, or up to his chin in Transition Liveries, and the research that powered this near-obsession.

Thanks, Russ - 'Sacko' - for all the gritty enthusiasm, fun and insights you brought to our shared hobbies and pastimes, you were old school in the best possible way, and heaven knows you're gonna be missed, pal.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

It's hard to believe that just days ago, Sacko was posting a run of upcoming live dates for his bands, Sack Sabbath and Synner, and chatting about a follow-up of some description to his two recent books on loco liveries, along with of course, his characteristic robust debate of everything social and political....

I will echo comments elsewhere that have emphasized the importance of making every day count, living each day to the full, because we just don't know which will be our last, or what lies round the corner. I know this fella gave everything 200%, be it taking excellent photos, teaching his beloved guitar in such a well-respected way, rehearsing and playing live, enjoying decent East Midlands ale, or up to his chin in Transition Liveries, and the research that powered this near-obsession.

Thanks, Russ - 'Sacko' - for all the gritty enthusiasm, fun and insights you brought to our shared hobbies and pastimes, you were old school in the best possible way, and heaven knows you're gonna be missed, pal.

This is truly shocking news - thank you Chard, I couldn't have put it any better. I took delivery of Russ's new hydraulic liveries book just two days ago - I had some input into it, as I had with 'From Green to Blue'. I'd waited until another hydraulic book became available before ordering........

Russ and I came into contact back in late 2001/early 2002 via a call for livery information from John Hague for a supplement entitled 'Un-corporate Image' which accompanied 'Traction' 90 (April 2002) and the contemporary issue of 'British Railway Modelling'. Russ got all excited when he learned that I had retained all of my old spotting books with livery notes. During our correspondence I discovered that Russ had his own Black Sabbath tribute band - when I told him I had most of their albums our friendship was cemented! I was fortunate to see his band in action three times around 2007-10 when they visited my 'neck of the woods' - I will own up to singing along to many of the songs, fortunately I was drowned out by the amps! I even volunteered to be an unpaid roadie for the evening but he had it all under control and I just assisted in shifting a few speakers at wrap-up.

During the early years Russ was very generous with sharing images he held, which I still have saved - any request to 'keep to myself' was strictly observed. I reciprocated with many of my own images from the 1970s where they were relevant to his research, but it was a trickle one way against a deluge the other!

Russ was possibly unique in the level of research he undertook into a very complicated subject and his loss will be keenly felt by the railway fraternity interested in Britain's First Generation traction. Thankfully we have the mass of information he has compiled in books and magazines to refer to, which is a considerable legacy.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Russ, you will be sorely missed.

• Friendly/supportive 6

16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Russ was always helpful with his massive knowledge of 60s and 70s locomotive liveries.

RIP Sacko.

Indeed, he was.

Russell helped me with prototype information for this model:

34962994043_d9dcfc350b_c.jpgP1080009am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

He also used a few images from my collection in his books.

A great loss to the hobby and to his family and friends.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2