Britains Biggest Model Railway (Wakefield December 2021

charliepetty

5 hours ago, Bomag said:

I can't remember HSTs being a regular performer on either TPN or Calder Valley services!

Interested to know what the supporting layouts will be.

The HST is an Iconic train the General Public will recognise, a Class 25 40 or 47, less so.

The General Public attending will help cover the costs of the venue etc, I wish Simon all the best is this venture.  

That aside, the layout is most impressive with nice long trains.

• Like 2

Don't forget the show starts Saturday Morning, loads of Car Parking 4 minutes walk away plus only Eight minutes steady walk from Wakfield Westgate station.

Been there today, its running like a dream, locos featured are:

Class 20's

Class 25's

Class 31's

Class 37's

Class 40's

Class 45's

Class 47's

Class 50's

Class 55's

Class 56's

DMU's featured are:

Class 100

Class 101

Class 122

Class 128

Also featuring full length trains on this massive layout with:

MGR Coal Trains

Steel Trains

Oil Trains

Red Bank Parcels

Engineers Workings

Newcastle-Liverpool 'Trans Pennine' Services

BBMR 31-40.jpg

BBMR TPE Hi-Res.PNG

BBMR 40-1.jpg

BBMR 40.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

D1B9D4AB-C628-4E97-96B0-B99C612DF667.jpeg.a76e92fca8d5fbedd0df90433b57ac8f.jpeg

The Wakefield show of Heaton Lodge was opened this morning by Pete Waterman helped by the first visitor through the doors!

F32794C0-68B0-42B0-801B-B9F2F30E2338.jpeg.c141bbe64ce3c8dac253c264dd75b0ad.jpeg

If you’re coming  to the show the entry point is at the Bus station end of the market.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see this today with my girlfriend and her daughter, and WOW.  This railway - let's face it it can hardly be called a layout - is like nothing I have ever seen before.  The work, time and finances that have been poured into it have produced a jaw-dropping result, and nothing prepares you for just how massive it is when you walk into the hall.  Diesels of all ages, faithfully modelled and with correct sounds, plus the occasional steam engine make their way around a landscape so faithfully produced from its creator's memories, and Simon (who is a genuinely nice guy and was happy to chat to onlookers when not busy running his railway along with his colleagues) has added a couple of personal touches to it as well.  Lots of information boards provide background and insight into its construction, and even those not into railways can enjoy it and will be fascinated.

Having not visited Wakefield before I can report that it's a decent city too - parking was easy and less than a fiver for up to 12 hours in the car park I found (almost next to the bus station) and there are lots of shops and eating places.  If you are able to, make sure you go and see this railway on display before the exhibit closes on Sunday!

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...