Layout support - trestles

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Had a quick search prior before posting this but does any manufacturer make timber trestles to order?

I have been using a couple of Draper (metal) ones which are good as I usually like to set my layouts with rail height 1200mm above finished floor level. Am looking at other options for a new layout and my timber skills are pretty hopeless (plus I have no facilities to build in my apartment)

Just wondered whether anyone manufactures them?

Many thanks in advance,

Pete

Edited by bcnPete
Clarifying metal trestles

• RMweb Gold

The various baseboard manufacturers all provide legs of some sort, albeit not all may be trestle type. I suspect most could be utilised and adapted for a home-built baseboard, although of course they are designed for their own configurations.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, AyJay said:

I use six of  these:

image.png.115ee4da1f1ca5116eb610cf3b3a360d.pngI  Hove made a frame from plywood strips that sits across them to support the layout.  Needs foam pads underneath to protect the floor.

I've done something very similar. A few of us each have some which helps with exhibitions.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks to everyone for your help and responses.

As mentioned I have two of the Draper ones already which am pleased with - just thought I would ask as we have various baseboard manufacturers to choose from now…but not for the supports.

As someone once commented on a table design “nice table top…shame about the legs” ;) 

This week I have made a support frame to sit on top of the Draper trestles as for my next planned layout I already have the Tim Horn baseboards which can sit directly on top. I will post a blog entry later today on whatI did.

Thank you again everyone for your input to this thread :good:

Pete

• RMweb Gold

My simple substructure with G&H boards on top. Not seen are the internal lips which stop the layout from shifting.....there is a shelf as well which helps keep everything square as well.

51696111817_b0efa7caa5_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the problem with any trestle is the enormous amount of room they take up when being transported.

I made my own that interlocked for transport - took up about 1/4 space they used to take.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

What is the problem with any trestle is the enormous amount of room they take up when being transported.

I made my own that interlocked for transport - took up about 1/4 space they used to take.

The Screwfix ones do fold down a bit - in addition a number of us have them which often means one of the team who is not transporting the layout brings a pair.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1