High Level kits vs Mashima 1015/1020 motors

So I'm looking to get a motor for my Furness K2, I can get a Mashima 1015 but apparently the 1020s are overall better motors? Any body have experience with either one?

Similarly, I'm considering the High Levels kits 1015 or 1020 iron cores but I'm not entirely sure on their performance or how they perform compared to the mashimas they were designed to replace, so if any one can chime in on that?

7 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

No personal experience with the HL motors but I've seen a few people say they are very good.

I've used Mashima 1015 and 1020s and both are good motors.

Thanks, heard mixed things about reliability in regards to the Mashima 15s, granted these were mostly from threads before Mashima even ceased operation.

If space wasn't an issue I would've already gotten a 1020, but the particular kit I'm using I've only seen it(1020) fitted to drive the rear wheels, I want it to drive the front set etc etc.

Think I'm beginning to lean more towards the HLs simply cause even with US shipping, they're less than the Mashima 1015 I know I can get, if only by a small amount

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Thanks, heard mixed things about reliability in regards to the Mashima 15s, granted these were mostly from threads before Mashima even ceased operation.

If space wasn't an issue I would've already gotten a 1020, but the particular kit I'm using I've only seen it(1020) fitted to drive the rear wheels, I want it to drive the front set etc etc.

Think I'm beginning to lean more towards the HLs simply cause even with US shipping, they're less than the Mashima 1015 I know I can get, if only by a small amount

Just want to make sure we are referring to the same motors as I s eem to recall some people refer to the sizes in one way and some in another. To me (rightly or wrongly!) a 1015 and a 1020 differ in their length and speed, not body width?

This is what I call a 1015

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=12

And a 1020

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=172

Both have small eyelet terminals. The ones I understand to be not as reliable are this size:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125000181982

With the contacts a strip of phosphor bronze rather than eyelets  on a stepped in section of the motor housing?

• Informative/Useful 1

For what it's worth I have used Mashima 1015 and a High Level 1020 and found both to be excellent. The Mashima 10-series used rare earth magnets I believe, making them actually more powerful than Mashima's 12-series, so you may find it stronger than the equivalent size High Level motor. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Just want to make sure we are referring to the same motors as I s eem to recall some people refer to the sizes in one way and some in another. To me (rightly or wrongly!) a 1015 and a 1020 differ in their length and speed, not body width?

Yeah, it refers to the length of the motor housing.

19 hours ago, Barclay said:

For what it's worth I have used Mashima 1015 and a High Level 1020 and found both to be excellent. The Mashima 10-series used rare earth magnets I believe, making them actually more powerful than Mashima's 12-series, so you may find it stronger than the equivalent size High Level motor. 

You can also use N20 motors which are a lot cheaper and will fit in a HL gearbox

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• 3 weeks later...

I used to install loads of 1015s in N scale brass locos as an upgrade from typical open frame things common in them. Great little motors with a surprising amount of power. 

1015s are also excellent at slow speeds, they are the only motor I have ever used where I have been able to get the rotational speed down so low (without the use of fancy electronics) that I could actually see the worm rotating.

• Informative/Useful 1