Bachmann pre-production samples

Andy Y

I had been secretly hoping for a Great Central liveried loco after they introduced it. I just hope that it doesn't end up coming with a huge price tag, as the bank balance won't run to it. Would it be too much to hope that this was the first in a series of pre-grouping liveried locomotives? It certainly presses my impulse buy button, just as Dapol/Hornby's terriers in LBSC livery did. It will look good in my display cabinet next to all my Intercity and BR blue diesels.

If it is a collector's club model then it looks like I'll end up rejoining to get it. Every year they entice me back with something shiny.

Interesting that it has the headlight. That implies that the blue/grey version may represent one of the early 90's versions perhaps with red stripes over the compartment area (and maybe NSE and Kent Coast brandings?)

Please, did anyone who saw this example notice if the guard's periscope is still in the (wrong) Tyneside position, or has it, hopefully, been moved so as to be over the smaller S Reg guard's compartment?

I hope also that the all-green one will come without the headlight! OK, we can always do some modelling to remove the headlight, or move the periscope rather than reject the whole model. The bits which we can see in the picture very kindly posted here look very tasty!

At risk of annoying Andy and the Mods with a 'wish list', I'd be even HAPpier if this is quickly followed by its country cousin!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I too spotted the high-intensity headlamp moulding on the 2EPB and question whether that is appropriate for a blue version? It certainly should not be there on a green unit. I can't recall the earliest date at which one was fitted to a 2EPB. This does seem to be a feature which was picked up on the laser scan but has not necessarily been researched against the prototype.

The bulkhead between the driver's entrance vestibule and the passenger saloon shows daylight on the sample and should be a solid wall. Otherwise a good looking shot though with deference to the comment above we cannot see the brake and periscope fittings.

• RMweb Premium

I too spotted the high-intensity headlamp moulding on the 2EPB and question whether that is appropriate for a blue version? It certainly should not be there on a green unit. I can't recall the earliest date at which one was fitted to a 2EPB. This does seem to be a feature which was picked up on the laser scan but has not necessarily been researched against the prototype.

Researching 2-EPB's for the forthcoming arrival of a couple of them on my EMUD :D has shown that the high intensity headlights seem to have started to appear during the NSE era by which time all the blue/grey ones had NSE flashes on the front and some form of route branding and NSE logos on the sides, this is in addition to the full NSE liveried examples of course which as far as I can make out were all bar one (6229?) in the 416/4 (64xx) range.

According to my Platform 5 Combined Volumes for 1991 and 1992, NSE livery was confined on BR Design 2-EPB's to the 64xx range but 6229 was also so painted but then disappears from all the lists a year later which makes me wonder if that got NSE livery at all, Platform 5 books in the early nineties were a tad notorious for mistakes with livery information with regards to EMU's.

The bulkhead between the driver's entrance vestibule and the passenger saloon shows daylight on the sample and should be a solid wall. Otherwise a good looking shot though with deference to the comment above we cannot see the brake and periscope fittings.

BR Design 2-EPB's 6401 to 6409 had doors fitted between the saloons and guards compartment or driving cab as appropriate for working Maidstone services, if that door has been modelled (it could just be that this prototype has not has had the part for the inner bulkhead fitted of course) that with the headlights makes this pre production mould suitable only for 6401 to 6409!

Just out of interest, the 2-EPB Bachmann scanned wasn't one of this small batch was it? It would explain a few things!

I've just received the following email from Bachmann with regard to the GCR liveried Robinson 2-8-0. It isn't often that a steamer has enough attraction to add some difference to an otherwise BR blue diesel collector, but I have a soft spot for pre-grouping stuff so I guess I had better get saving.

Many thanks for your email.

The Robinson 2-8-0 has been commissioned exclusively by the National Railway Museum and will be avaialble only from them at the NRM York, Locomotion Shildon or from their on-line shop at

http://www.nrmshop.c...ory/models.html

It should be available shortly from them.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

brunel

I'm looking forward to 2-EPB as well, as I like the 4-CEP. However, does anyone else have the problem of jerky running going down a gradient, sort of Stop-Go? I'm on traditional 12v DC, but other Bachmann stuff runs downhill OK.

Oh I don't know... Those were the days when you were actually warm enough on the train - unless you were one of the unlucky ones standing next to the drafty door ;)

The Robinson 2-8-0 has been commissioned exclusively by the National Railway Museum and will be avaialble only from them at the NRM York, Locomotion Shildon or from their on-line shop

Great news! I've been wondering for some time with what model the NRM would come up with this year, and will certainly order one.

Leen.

• RMweb Premium

You'd better start laying that third rail, Rick!  ;)

I wish. All the components are available through the Individulay range. Just need the new roof on the house, which in turn will prevent possum access to the loft, which in its turn frees up that space ............. B) I have to admit to being very tempted by another syp CEP but then I might have trouble funding the EPB (or two) as well.

Archived