Contact details on ebay.

roythegrass

1 minute ago, roythegrass said:

I'm selling my layout which will be listed on ebay. They do not allow phone numbers or email addresses, not even in messages. How can a prospective buyer arrange to view an intended purchase? Thanks.

They can't - Ebay is an auction site which relies on the photos and description which you supply.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar scenario for some tooling I sold some time ago.

To get over it I took a lot of pictures and in one of them was a sheet of paper with a contact detail next to the item. Ebay didn't spot it so it went through ok, if you do try something and they spot it expect the listing to be canceled.

After the sale is done then they will let you transfer a number or address then as by that point they will have their bit so don't care. They also dont like links in listings either although sometimes they seem to miss them.

• RMweb Premium

Err, no you can't.  Any Ebay messaging communication that even a hint of an email address (even disguised for example fred at yahoo) or a telephone number will be deleted and not sent.  I fell foul of that recently when I was explaining to someone that we could not exchange email addresses and even though no address was mentioned, Ebay's dedicated army of robots blocked it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Err, no you can't.  Any Ebay messaging communication that even a hint of an email address (even disguised for example fred at yahoo) or a telephone number will be deleted and not sent.  I fell foul of that recently when I was explaining to someone that we could not exchange email addresses and even though no address was mentioned, Ebay's dedicated army of robots blocked it.

I just sold my layout on ebay and they were more than happy when i exchanged details. Perhaps if you put collection only then they realize that for it to be collected you actually have to provide some way of contact people. Also if you end your item early if it has bids on unless its due to damage they will charge you the fees up to that point of bidding.

12 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Yes you can, I have done it many times and infact did it this weekend just gone.

On 17/11/2021 at 10:00, John M Upton said:

I used to find inventive ways to give it out lol. This isn’t it but - 3er0 7en Fife nought 2 1ne fuor free too nein nil for example lol

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slight detour, but recently I wanted to find a completely unrelated item purchased at least 2 years ago via paypal. (Warranty on a white good purchased).

as I couldnt find it, I decided to run an export of the data and look it up via the spreadsheet generated.

To my complete surprise it contained the full name, address, phone, email details of everyone Ive ever transacted with over the last few years, on ebay too, plus what was bought or sold, including the ebay account name.

I thought there was some kind of GDPR rule about this ?

I didnt even think paypal received this level of info from ebay.

It has inadvertently unmasked some businesses trading as individuals on ebay, which was a bit revealing…both as buyers and sellers when I saw some names there.

it was certainly a lot more revealing than I was expecting…ive suddenly found myself with quite some substantial list, of railway modellers, not that I intend to do anything with it, but none the less surprised.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 6