Planting Woodland Scenics trees

• RMweb Gold

Out of the box WS trees come with a stand that is made out of plastic to resemble the trees roots. Apart from requiring a flat surface, the stands aren’t very robust and the trees are prone to falling over. Whilst they can be glued in place on a flat surface, this doesn’t solve the challenges of planting the tree on a slope. 

I am thinking of drilling a hole into the base of the tree trunk and using steel rod which can be sunk into my polystyrene hillsides as a support. 

I can’t believe that I am the first to think this way but I can’t find anything in an RMWEB search or on YouTube. Does anyone have any suggestions or practical experience?

8F2FFA5A-D8D7-414E-BE48-4847C908AC70.jpeg.10ed81f789ac4ee2086e4be0cedcfa4a.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I have used these trees on my O gauge layout. The embankment is foamboard former stuffed with paper and with grass mating sheet over that plus static grass on top. I removed the base off the trees inserted them into the embankment about half an inch and glued them in place. Only had the odd one which need extra support.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_5100.JPG

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have used these trees on my O gauge layout. The embankment is foamboard former stuffed with paper and with grass mating sheet over that plus static grass on top. I removed the base off the trees inserted them into the embankment about half an inch and glued them in place. Only had the odd one which need extra support.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_5100.JPG

Interesting, thank you. Many of my trees are 150mm and taller hence my thinking that I would need some form of additional support over and above drilling a hole and planting the trunk below the surface. I'll give this a go and see if it delivers what I want. I have also ordered some 2mm steel rod and will try this on one or two trees for a comparison.

• Like 1