High Wycombe Broad Gauge station 1856-1862

After years if not decades of waiting and plenty of false starts model the original High Wycombe broad gauge station in 1854-62 I have now made progress in drawing the model up in Fusion 360 this will then be used to produce drawing for the laser cutter to produce parts. A couple of days and I have got the attached done plenty more do but at least its looking like it should, I hope  to get as much detail in as posible and all brick and flintwork work will be correct as well as all the trusses.

David

Wycombe_Station_2021-Nov-17_11-43-31AM-000_CustomizedView26424306504.png

Wycombe_Station_2021-Nov-17_04-07-46PM-000_CustomizedView17630167283.png

Wycombe_Station_2021-Nov-17_04-06-26PM-000_CustomizedView39564713703.png

Wycombe 16.png

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 17

Some more progress on the 3D model, plus some photos of the building as is is now or before restoration started. Its quite hard in some cases to figure out exactly how it looked like 167 years ago when first built. 

It was only a station for 10 years before being replaced by a new station and then used as good shed.  The design was repeated at Thame ten years later in 1862.

Wycombe 11.PNG

Wycombe 10.png

IMG_8279.jpg

wycombe photos 003.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So what will it be used for once restored? - I see from Google Streetview that it's well under way

EDIT: Answered my own question with a virtual walk round the site - "Commercial Space"

Next Question, assuming it was a through station where did the line(s) go westwards? - all the buildings around look very old

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Next Question, assuming it was a through station where did the line(s) go westwards? - all the buildings around look very old

It was a terminus from 1854 till 1862 when the line was extended to Thame in 1862 the line bypassed the old station so for two years until a replacement station was built all trains had to reverse in and out of the station.

The first map shows the proposed extension to Thame and the second an extract from the 1:500 1875 when that shows the old station as a goods shed and a replacement station on the site of the current station.

3838FCE0-4AF9-4013-8D3C-54C3BF46FE08.jpeg

77E86A4D-A5A3-45FA-9881-0384B19193C3.jpeg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

This is looking superb.  It will be interesting  to see it develop hopefully into a full model.

As a local, I've followed the recent history of the building with interest.  It's gone from neglect to possible revival by Chiltern Railways but that fell through after DB acquired them.  It then fell into neglect again bordering on dereliction and future looked bleak until the local authority got involved.  It is good to see it now being revived and the bulk of the building sympathetically retained.

Around seven years ago in an effort to spruce up the approach to the station, a local artist, Dan Wilson, painted this superb mural on the wall facing Amersham Hill.  Remarkably for High Wycombe, it survived until the commencement of the present works without being amended or added to by other local "artists"!  

1004573216_D-BR-2336_HighWycombe4-7-14.jpg.02d0cf7e95a9a64a008857b1474cac59.jpg

It is doubtful if IKB ever visited HW but you have to allow a little artist's license.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there just a few more details to add, I have even popped the correct Flint cottage image in the background, and too give it a period look have given it a black and white filter. I feel its quite an attractive station and one of those lost GWR terminus stations, although to be correct it was only a Wycombe railway station although it was run by the GWR from the start. 

BW5.png

BW6.png

BW7.png

BW8.png

BW9.png

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Interface the model to the right VR software, and you probably could.

"Fly throughs" and "walk throughs" are quite common ways for achitects/designers to allow clients/users to test the layouts and looks of complex buildings these days. And, they use the same base files to feed into the printing of 3D physical models if those  are needed.

• Agree 1

Just now, Nearholmer said:

Interface the model to the right VR software, and you probably could.

"Fly throughs" and "walk throughs" are quite common ways for achitects/designers to allow clients/users to test the layouts and looks of complex buildings these days. And, they use the same base files to feed into the printing of 3D physical models if those  are needed.

There is an animation section on Fusion so I may give it a go.

• Round of applause 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David,

I am following your efforts with interest as I aim to make a version of this building as the Inwards Goods shed on my OO gauge layout .

This is of a fictitious station at a real place, namely Bradenham on the line north of West Wycombe towards Princes Risborough.

My efforts, which are away from buildings phase yet, can be followed on my thread called "Lower Thames Yard".

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work on the virtual model of Wycombe, In the first image you can see how I imported the 1875 1:500 map and you can see how the buildings I have created sit on the map.  I have now created Railway terrace the three semi detached houses on birdcage walk and also the flint cottage on Amersham Hill, I still need to create more buildings plus fences and ground work. This will help planning how I will create the actual model.

David 

Wycombe Station with Engine Shed Windows v17.png

39.PNG

31.PNG

38.PNG

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Dave,

The houses in your 3D  are excellent, although I do think the chimney pots require a bit more work -  to me many of them are too shiny?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Paul 

Hi Paul

I have now given the pots texture reduced the height, as there are no drawings and the buildings have long since gone, the only way is to use maps and what photos I can find. Counting bricks and trying to figure out proportions is the only way I can work out dimensions. 

• Friendly/supportive 1