No prices displayed

BlackFivesMatter

Is there a reason why some model shops, or online traders do not display prices? 

I appreciate that wielding a pricing gun when stock comes in is a bore, but I would have thought that looking up prices from suppliers and deducting the shops percentage for many enquiries (often with no sale) is more of a bore. 

It also opens up the trader to claims if discrimination. In any case if they have a rate for club members or regulars, it's easy for them to deduct that at point of sale. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts please. 

2 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

Is there a reason why some model shops, or online traders do not display prices? 

I appreciate that wielding a pricing gun when stock comes in is a bore, but I would have thought that looking up prices from suppliers and deducting the shops percentage for many enquiries (often with no sale) is more of a bore. 

It also opens up the trader to claims if discrimination. In any case if they have a rate for club members or regulars, it's easy for them to deduct that at point of sale. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts please. 

Any examples?

I've never seen an item in a retailer un priced whether in a physical shop or online. You're not mistaking stock that is now "out of stock" as being available to buy by any chance. Many leave the pages in situ in case they get more stock, Hattons and Rails for example.

The only time I've seen unpriced items is in antiques dealers who want to haggle and will take offers.

Jason

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

My (recently closed) local model shop didn't used to display prices, hence I didn't shop there.

Wasn't in Bournemouth was it perchance? If so then i remember that shop. Everything had to be checked using some ancient computer from the early 80s.

I cant say i have been into any shop recently where this was the case. Maybe the odd item that got forgotten or the like but not anyone that never puts any price on it.

• RMweb Premium

One of the retailers at TINGS didn't have anything priced, think it was Osborn's. I asked about a couple of things, but the prices weren't particularly compelling, and I couldn't be bothered to ask about everything I'd have considered, so I walked on. I saw, and read of a number of people doing the same. Stupid.

• Agree 2

I didn't want to name names of stores. I have seen this in actual model shops and on line businesses, not antiques dealers. 

I appreciate some places may list descriptions and photos and once listed put the prices on soon after. There is one online trader who does not do this (not RTR) and lists "not for sale", then the loco vanishes. Perhaps it's an indication of what he might have. 

I can only think lazy, or a non-listing shop under new management who has not yet had a chance to be responsible. The only other alternative. I don't think money laundering in the model railway sector is a thing. ...

• RMweb Premium

The lack of pricing labels I think started in the 1980 when we had 26% inflation and the stores were forever going round changing price labels. Some stores then realised that some will then buy even if they think it's expensive, due the the embarrassment of putting it back. So they never went back to putting prices on.

As for me buying, online or in a shop no shown price  at the start, I don't buy..

• Like 3

On a related note, there is a model shop within a toy shop near me. All of its items are priced, but with tiny handwritten (probably in pencil) stickers, and they are kept on a shelving unit behind the desk. I am young with good eyesight, and I found attempting to read the prices futile. I asked if I could get closer because the labels and was told that I should just ask them. I found looking past the person stood behind the desk trying to look at the prices uncomfortable, but if I have to ask about every single item that I'm even thinking of buying I'm not going to bother hanging around.

I can't work out what on earth they hope to gain from this policy. Older people (who are more likely to have sub-optimal eyesight) and autistic people (who may be less comfortable engaging with the worker) are both likely to be over-represented in the pool of potential customers, yet are both more likely to be put off by this policy. Perhaps they just didn't like the look of the teenager in slightly scruffy clothing carrying a rucksack - but I can't change my age more than anyone else and I'm not likely to be cycling the 10 miles or so to their shop in a suit and tie while carrying a briefcase (and even if matters were different, why should I have to change myself or my behaviour in order to avoid ageist or classist prejudice). Either way, I've never bought from them and I won't in future. I can find more facilitating suppliers than them, both bricks-and-mortar and online. I assume that they likewise believe they can find more willing customers than me.

• Like 6

a brand new model shop opened near me and being an online customer before i was asked along for a sneak peek before the official opening, nice new shop, good stocks and a welcome at the door.

i was give a leaflet on entering saying how the pricing app worked as there were no price labels on anything, i then pointed out that i do not own a mobile phone so how does that work to be told we could ask for prices! i doubt they will want to keep constantly look for prices for my visit? 

when i shop and i see something i can instantly decide if it is worth it within seconds if it is priced up.

i think i will probably just go on their online shop as the prices are there and i don't have to travel, i did buy some things there but one of them did not like the scanner so they price could not be established very quickly. progress?

i have also been to the notorious bournmouth shop once! and only once but has known the owner for years before, never again.

Edited by sandsmodels
  • Like 2

On 22/11/2021 at 11:06, exet1095 said:

It is quite simple. There is a legal requirement to show prices. See:

https://www.gov.uk/product-labelling-the-law
If not, then it is a matter for Trading Standards.

Paul

Or just shop elsewhere....

Can't say shops without prices bother me in the slightest. I'll just ask. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!

Edited by admiles
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/11/2021 at 18:14, DCB said:

Sheer Laziness?  I really hate it when items are not priced up, I don't like asking and it's embarrassing if I can't afford it. 

Well not really, I hated doing it. The issue being if you had 30  kits of a certain model on the shelves priced up at a £10.00 and then the Manufacturing company upped their prices for 20p  then all the  old stock would have to be repriced up. This was a regular thing.  A right pain in the hole, Especially when you are in the shop yourself.

Best thing is a cabinet with stuff on show and a price against the item itself, not easy with smaller items though.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, exet1095 said:

It is quite simple. There is a legal requirement to show prices. See:

https://www.gov.uk/product-labelling-the-law
If not, then it is a matter for Trading Standards.

Paul

Thanks Paul for pointing this out. 

Some of the products we sell are almost smaller than our pricing labels. We have to be careful that we don’t cover the safety information with the price. Tedious but necessary. Label is placed underneath the product. 

One company that supplies us with  paints, glues etc have to replace all of the information on those items with the English version. Every single bottle has to be relabelled. Imagine you worked there and a forty foot container of paints arrived. Think l would book the day off!

If we didn’t price all our products, l would shop elsewhere. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Well not really, I hated doing it. The issue being if you had 30  kits of a certain model on the shelves priced up at a £10.00 and then the Manufacturing company upped their prices for 20p  then all the  old stock would have to be repriced up. This was a regular thing. 

But you labelled them for the markup you wanted so why do you need to relabel?

Only new stock needs the new prices.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

But you labelled them for the markup you wanted so why do you need to relabel?

Only new stock needs the new prices.

Think about cashflow - you need to be able to buy the new stock at the new prices, and depending upon the size of the price rise that may not be possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 18/11/2021 at 22:02, G-DIMB said:

Wasn't in Bournemouth was it perchance? If so then i remember that shop. Everything had to be checked using some ancient computer from the early 80s.

I cant say i have been into any shop recently where this was the case. Maybe the odd item that got forgotten or the like but not anyone that never puts any price on it.

I stopped shopping at the Bournemouth Model Centre for precisely this reason. The owner would size up a customer and pretend to look it up and basically pluck a random amount based on what he thought you would pay. If someone else was behind the counter you would often get a different and much lower price for the same item. He regularly sold items over RRP as well.

David 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I believe that during the 1980s I visited a well-known shop in London and couldn't find prices on the stock -- it had to be checked with the catalog.

One of the larger train shops near us has price scanners rather than tags. So does a large hardware/auto chain.

Just to clarify, I would like to point out there is absolutely no connection

between the (now closed) shop mentioned in Bournemouth and Model

Railway Solutions, currently the only model  rail shop in the area, and where

pricing is in place throughout on new and the extensive second hand items.

Chris Knight

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How much is that Deltic in the window?
The one with the wobbly wheel
How much is that Deltic in the window?
I do hope that Deltics for sale

I must take a trip to a shop in Liverpool
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If he has a Deltic, he won't be lonesome
And the Deltic will have a good home