LNER RTS mystery kit

jaym481

At least it's a mystery to me, though hopefully someone will recognize it fairly quickly. A few years ago, just before I left the UK to return to Canada, I purchased a "box o' bits" which has been langushing since I wasn't doing OO modeling until recently. I just started getting my small LNER collection out to sort, and found this kit-built restaurant triplet set (RTS) that appears to have been built from pre-printed sides, though the lettering seems to be decals. It has interior details, and seems well done, but I don't know who produced the original kit. If anyone could tell me I would appreciate it. I would like to take it apart some to repair some loose bits inside and add passengers, as well as replace the bogies which are quite rough now.

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

If N Gauge, Ultima Models. Started back in the mid' 70s as scaled down PC Models kits under the Cavendish label, sold by W&H, but the triplet came later whe Colin Albright enlarged the range under the  Ultima Models name. Now with Etched Pixels.

Looking again, saw the Triang coupling, so 00 - PC Models.

Edited by BernardTPM

• RMweb Premium

I have one of those that I bought second hand.  PC models.

I have no idea how to get into it -- I think it's thoroughly glued together. I have some other coaches like them and I can't get the bogies off because the bolt heads are inside, the threads in the floor are stripped, and the nuts are glued on.

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I have some other coaches like them and I can't get the bogies off because the bolt heads are inside, the threads in the floor are stripped, and the nuts are glued on.

I bought some nicely repainted S/H Tri-ang clerestoreys like that which just(!) needed the bogies changing. I ended up destroying the existing bogies (Tri-and Mk1s which would be scrap anyway) to access the floor, chain-drilled round the boss to get that out of the way and then start rebuilding the floor to fit new bogie mounts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you. It appears PC Models is the likely source. I was able to look at a photo of an unbuilt LNER coach on the Hatton's site, and the sides look identical in print. I think I can get the bogies off, but the mounting screws will also have to go, so some surgery may be required. The articulated bogies will be a much simpler proposition. I think I'll get the Isinglass artic bogies.

By the way, I also have the Ultima N gauge kit built. It's a very nice kit as well.