China Clay wagon Hoods and Bolster Wagon pipes in OO gauge

Fredo

• RMweb Premium
Just now, SHerr said:

Precision Decals and Transfers do them. Glossy card that you glue into shape. Bought some recently but not made them up yet.

That’s clay hoods not Pipes! Sorry wasn’t clear.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Thanks everyone.

I am trying to replicate the flat hoods that are roughly the same as those produced by Kernow on their limited addition a Bachmann 33-080X three pack.

Have a look at masking tape .

10 mins in to this Video

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Thanks everyone.

I am trying to replicate the flat hoods that are roughly the same as those produced by Kernow on their limited addition a Bachmann 33-080X three pack.

Someone on here has done some nice wagon sheets for open wagons , using Tunnock's Wafer (or similar), wraps. I did some a long time ago, using 'Baker's Tissue' . Another possibility might be the stuff that aircraft modellers use to cover their aircraft:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=rc+plane+covering+film&_sacat=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2021 at 14:12, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest I was expecting a link to someone who makes decent ready to plonk items made from resin or plastic.

I dont think something moulded with enough clearance to fit over the body would be any more convincing than the paper ones.

For my 7mm project I've thought about making a casting of a covered one and having the chassis a separate unit so I can have a rake of loaded or empty without the cost of all the duplicate wheels buffers etc. I suspect they would look rather too uniform though as the sheets tended to overhang the sides by different amounts (at least pre hood era).

Edited by Hal Nail

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes, I've got about half a dozen of the Ratio kits. I just didn't reckon the paper ones included would be very convincing.

I'll have to have a bit of an experiment.

Jason

You're spot on, the thin card ones provided are not convincing at all that's why I fitted a plasticard frame support inside the wagon and used the aircraft modelling tissue paper. You then apply a liquid to the paper (strangely called dope) which shrinks it and produces folds and creases just like a real tarpaulin. Once painted and weathered they much better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

You're spot on, the thin card ones provided are not convincing at all that's why I fitted a plasticard frame support inside the wagon and used the aircraft modelling tissue paper. You then apply a liquid to the paper (strangely called dope) which shrinks it and produces folds and creases just like a real tarpaulin. Once painted and weathered they much better.

Presumably for the earlier non-hood sheets, a rectangle of tissue placed over, say, a plasticine lump then "doped" would work in much the same way?

The bit I'm not that clear on is how the ends were typically folded.

28 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Presumably for the earlier non-hood sheets, a rectangle of tissue placed over, say, a plasticine lump then "doped" would work in much the same way?

The bit I'm not that clear on is how the ends were typically folded.

I can't see why the same wouldn't work for the flat tarpaulins no, in fact I recently used the same method for a tarpaulins cover on a waste skip that I built as you can see in the photo.

I'm hoping to put together a little something on how I did the hoods after Christmas.

original_2a37ebf6-ec24-462f-a760-75e24aabf2ed_IMG_20211127_114517.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1