Harboro Stone Co.

Entry/exit to FY on the left.

LH building is a wiggly tin structure used as storage and for maintenance of internal rolling stock.

Upper building is the engine shed and associated structures (Bachmann Scenecraft).

The structure straddling the far right track is under the track and is a stone bunker, into which internal use wagons are emptied.

Most likely more structures will be needed as processing plant.

Lower track descends to right, where railway company wagons can be loaded.

No backscene to speak of but perhaps just a printed hilltop vista.

Harborough.png.2a71a5ddb94fedc876c4f5ddbaa10eae.png

The engine shed model is for narrow gauge and to avoid raising it, engines with cut-down cabs/dropped footplates will be used. A very low bridge at the FY entry will match this.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Where and how is the stone supposed to travel from the stone drop?

How does the finished product leave the site?

Gordon A

Not sure yet. I did say it may need more structures as a processing plant.

By road and by rail, via the line lower RH at the front of the layout.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Constructive suggestion. The Bachmann narrow gauge engine shed is very distinctively Dinorwic, I've seen it used elsewhere as a standard gauge industrial loco shed and it does grate a bit. It's one of those things that once you're aware of it becomes hard to park that awareness. I'd suggest something more generic like the Miniart workshop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

Constructive suggestion. The Bachmann narrow gauge engine shed is very distinctively Dinorwic, I've seen it used elsewhere as a standard gauge industrial loco shed and it does grate a bit. It's one of those things that once you're aware of it becomes hard to park that awareness. I'd suggest something more generic like the Miniart workshop.

Hi Neil.

I had no idea that it was Dinorwic, or any other actual site for that matter. I really like them and my inspiration is @NHY 581 Rob's Sheep Dip and I am aware that they are meant to be of slate construction. I may either relocate or use the outline and footprint of the Scenecraft buildings and make them from Wills sheet that is more suitable to limestone construction. I fancy a wiggly tin roof on the engine shed in any case.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruston said:

Ooh, no. I'm not keen on that at all. Those roof tiles look a bit continental and it looks to be far too professionally designed for the sort of site I'm aiming for.

That's fair enough; I replaced the roof and stone plinth on mine to anglicise it a bit but it is at the more purposeful end of the industrial loco shed spectrum.

• Like 3

It's not much but it is more than just pixels on a screen now. I traded some redundant N gauge track and points for this sheet of 9mm ply.

MWHorus-010.jpg.5894a1bbbcfa2c66f7467cec862a0a7e.jpg

I guess that means that I'm building this one.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. Mind you, your White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam was directly responsible for a massive re-think of my own Castlebrook Sidings into Blackford Wharf, so who knows what might happen this time?!

Steve S

PS

I like the almost total eradication of reverse curves in your trackplan - I tried to do the same with Blackford Wharf to enable three link couplings to be used, but the settrack points I used are still simply too sharp to allow them. Are you using Peco Streamline or handbuilding your track?

Edited by SteveyDee68
several edits to add due to crashing RMWeb editor

On 06/12/2021 at 02:52, SteveyDee68 said:

Are you using Peco Streamline or handbuilding your track?

Peco Code 75 points and bullhead plain track. I wish they would make the same tight radius in bullhead points but I'll have built another half dozen layouts before they get their act together.

It's started but already the track plan has been changed.

20220617_115935.jpg.59bcb9724ad8996416b6cad81b3b6691.jpg

The part that drops off to the left will be the lowest point in a zig-zag that will enter through a height-restricted tunnel. The line will pass back into the FY area and out again into the scenic board.

• Like 6

The zig-zag in its cutting is taking shape. Good old newspaper and PVA, which cost me nothing for either. The gradient out of the tunnel is about 1 in 20.

20220617_175623.jpg.b02f5572ec4d859b18af6e666d794ba3.jpg

I'll see what old paints can be found in the garage and mixed together to make a dark muck to cover it all with.

• Like 5

FY near end. Stone crushing plant, far end. Engine shed, near LH corner.

20220618_101727.jpg.f17f6c181661213c68e6db154f2e4f3c.jpg

The zig-zag is supposedly from a distant quarry and large stone lumps are brought in internal use wagons to be tipped at the crushing plant, where the stone is processed and loaded into main line wagons for onward distribution.

• Like 12

More wood butchery. I really am hopeless at this and couldn't cut a straight line in wood if my life depended on it.

This is going to be the Fiddle Yard. The near part will have either a single track or cassettes. The part that has no floor in will have a three-road traverser. That's the plan, anyway.

20220620_181708.jpg.82c061bfebce2f03314d0e7965ce26a0.jpg

• Like 5

The landscaping of the main board is done and is ready for tracklaying. The hole in the ground is where the side-tipping wagons will discharge. I painted it all with a light grey emulsion tester pot.

20220622_182420.jpg.9c3265bebc8308d26d6ac52ffd06dd01.jpg

The next thing is to wire up the points and add droppers to each section of track. I'll be using copper tape again for the DCC bus.

I'm considering trying one of those frog juicer things for changing the frog polarity. I'll have six points and one unit can handle that number, apparently. The points will still be changed by rods under the baseboard because it's simple and I don't like solenoid point motors.

• Like 7

The Fiddle Yard.

The three-road traverser will be able to serve either of the incoming tracks with any of the three roads. The lower level will use a cassette system.

20220624_162342.jpg.0a34be00964491586c6c9727241a27a6.jpg

Wiring electrofrogs.

The usual wires at A are cut and for better reliability I cut a slot in the underside of some sleepers so that they can still sit flat on the layout once I've soldered a length of wire (C) to the tags that come through from the "blades". The wire is also soldered to the wing rails and the stock rails. This ensures complete conductivity no matter how much paint, ballast or muck gets in. The wire to the frog (B) goes to a polarity switch as usual.

20220624_130915.jpg.1c2993faeca70f18df21347c7953b20c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

Connecting the FY to the baseboard.

20220626_113306.jpg.fe4cdc1f5df5550f70bbc0b97e4d21b2.jpg

I have laid some track but the run-round loop and the positioning of the loader has caused some headscratching. I've been shuffling points around and have been trying to determine where to put the loader. The trouble has really been an idiotic idea of trying to make it look prototypical and placing it to be as efficient as possible. But I've come to the conclusion that none of it is remotely prototypical. After all, the entire scenic board is a mere 300ft. in scale, which is shorter than most prototype train lengths. The fiddle yard can also only take a maximum of four wagons and and engine, so nothing about it would be efficient. In fact the same is true of the majority of layouts and certainly all micro layouts, which this one qualifies as due to its dimensions.

I have decided to go for the maximum interest in operation and if that means the loader being on a dead end siding, and taking only two wagons at a time, meaning more moves, then so be it. I will aim to get the realism into the scene in terms of the trains, buildings and scenery, rather than in operation.

• Like 13

Track laid.

The white patch on the run-round loop is the weighbridge. The area with missing sleepers on the very top line is the ash pit for the engine shed. The top track off the loop is for the stone loader and the one under it is for loading limestone powder.

20220628_120828_1.jpg.8092aabb8baad9a3b710eb002e07dbc6.jpg

• Like 9

• Ruston changed the title to Harboro Stone Co.

And a little more done. The water tank has Archers resin rivets added but they are very small and aren't showing up in this photo. I put some stays in the tank, too. The other chimney is for a blacksmith's forge inside the shed.

20220708_191012.jpg.2265c61d37b587562790f07b1f8b37c8.jpg

I was thinking that I'd done with all this tedious stonework but now I have to do the wall inside the shed as it will be visible with the doors open. I can't face making a load of individual roofing slates and Wills sheet won't cut it now that the walls are all individual stones, so the cheat is to be that the roof has been replaced with corrugated iron.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3