DCC with two cabs - transferring control

iantabron

We have a prodigy advance DCC02 and have expanded to two handsets. We have set one to the master and the other to the slave, and can independently operate separate locos with no issue.

Our layout provides us the opportunity to "transfer" locos from one operator to the other. However, when the new operator "takes control" we can't find any way to pick up the current speed setting of the moving loco. This means when the new operator starts making speed changes, they are always starting from 0 - far from ideal.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make the above transition smoother, or indeed ideally read the current speed step of the loco to "match" the handset up prior to making any changes?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iantabron said:

We have a prodigy advance DCC02 and have expanded to two handsets. We have set one to the master and the other to the slave, and can independently operate separate locos with no issue.

Our layout provides us the opportunity to "transfer" locos from one operator to the other. However, when the new operator "takes control" we can't find any way to pick up the current speed setting of the moving loco. This means when the new operator starts making speed changes, they are always starting from 0 - far from ideal.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make the above transition smoother, or indeed ideally read the current speed step of the loco to "match" the handset up prior to making any changes?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have the same kit.  It is a few years since I bought it so cannot remeber how I set the handsets up, but they hand over with the current speed on my layout.  Maybe this bump will find someone who knows.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping the topic has just been missed... but seems this is a problem that isn't going to go away for us.

@dhjgreen - you say that your setup does pick up the current speed step of a loco when you select it on the second throttle... We'd really appreciate if you could share any further information on your setup please.

It's definitely something that can be done with DCC, as I've operated one of my fellow club member's layouts where I took control of a moving locomotive with a different handset without the issues you're reporting.  However, his command station is an Uhlenbrock Intellibox, so not necessarily relevant to your issue, as I think this is a system dependent issue and will be related to how you have your Prodigy Advance set up.  As I don't have a Prodigy Advance, I've never read the manual, so can't comment on your specific set up or how to solve your issue, but hopefully someone else with a similar set up will know how to sort your issue.