New batch of Bulleid Coaches

darren01

Hi all

Just been looking at the new Bachmann , 63ft Bulleid Second Brake Corridor Open ,as I need these to finish of a few coach set I have .

Looking at the photo they have up on there website, I have noticed that they still do not have flush glazing!

What I do not understand is why retool the model and leave this out, or is it my eyes!

Darren01

To the best of my knowledge, they have not been retooled, just re-released with a darker shade of green and new numbers printed on.

They aren't bad models but it would be nice if Bachmann could produce flush glazing units for them. I have a couple fitted with South Eastern Finecast flush glazing and they look so much better for it. The only down side is that fitting the glazing is so fiddly.

ISTR this conversation happening before on here. It would be nice if the reissued Bulleids were fitted with close coupling too. I was fitting KaDees to a couple yesterday, and it's rather fiddly and you can't really get close coupling with them. Pity really, with a bit of re-tooling they could be excellent models.

Looking under the bogies, I wondered about the brake riugging detail. Air cylinders on vac braked stock. Why? Luckily it can't be seen!

• RMweb Premium

Nope, definately not retooled on this release. As others have said just a fresh coat of paint and new numbers. Pity really as they now fall a long way behing the Maunsell and Mk1 offerings. I certainly won't be buying any and have sold all but 3 of those that i had.

From elsewhere (SEmG?) I think it was concluded that the underframe had also been 'cleaned up' and coupling pockets updated.

But the main issue of the windows still remains (and spoils them) so like Chris I won't be buying any either.

OK so Southern modellers have had it good recently with Maunsells, 4CEPs and green loco-hauled Mk1s, so it might seem selfish to suggest, but decent upgraded RTR Bulleids are really overdue.

• RMweb Gold

I might buy a couple, I don't think that the lack of flush glazing will make a huge difference to my layouts realism! I might try and fit the SEF flush glazing, as Jeremy Clarkson says, "How hard can it be?"

• RMweb Gold

I had a good look over these latest releases yesterday and can confirm that no actual retooling has taken place.

The bogies themselves are the same as fitted to the last batch of the last releases which had slim line couplings but moulded as part of the bogies and are not in sockets.

The green is now the lastest Bachmann interpretation of BR(S) Green now also being used on the latest mk1 releases and GUV, which in my opinon is far far too dark and totally spoils the model, especially for those that had been wanting to add to an exising fleet which will now not match.

ISTR this conversation happening before on here. It would be nice if the reissued Bulleids were fitted with close coupling too. I was fitting KaDees to a couple yesterday, and it's rather fiddly and you can't really get close coupling with them. Pity really, with a bit of re-tooling they could be excellent models.

Looking under the bogies, I wondered about the brake riugging detail. Air cylinders on vac braked stock. Why? Luckily it can't be seen!

Hi roythebus & All.

Without going into intricate, involved details, the single, horizontal cylinder mounted on the underframe is a 24 inch diameter vacuum reservoir. The vertical, centrally positioned cylinder is the single Westinghouse "Prestall" 30 inch diameter vacuum brake piston cylinder. A version of which, is shown here.

http://www.martynban.../prestalls.html

This braking system, depicted by Bachmann, was intoduced initially to save weight on the Bournemouth 6-car sets, Nos. 290-300, and was carried forward to be fitted to the following shallow vented (10.25") and deep vented (BR 15") Bulleid stock.

Prior to this, SR coaches, including the early Bulleid multi-door 3-car sets, Nos. 963-980/981-984, vestibule doored, shallow vented 3-car sets, Nos. 770-793, and the BRCW built 3-car sets, Nos. 795-804/805-829 used the conventional twin, diagonally opposed 18 inch diameter vacuum reservoirs + 22 inch diameter vacuum brake cylinders layout, as depicted under Hornby's Maunsells. Both arrangements are shown here on Comet Models' instruction sheet.

http://www.cometmode...alog/pdf/S6.pdf

It was during the early/mid 1950s, that, for some reason or another, the "Prestall" single brake cylinder system was changed back to the twin brake cylinder layout, but retained the single 24" dia. vacuum reservoir. These coaches can be seen in photos, having the "Vee" hanger outside of the underframe truss angle, also shown here, on the Bluebell Railway's Bulleid TO/SO No.1464

http://www.rhbnc.ac....mar09_3112a.jpg

Bye the way, that's a BR battery box + dynamo on there, not typical SR types.

Regards.

And a P.S. for Bachmann, showing that 64'-6" Bulleid coaches are, indeed 64'-6" over body end panels. Exactly the same as BR Std. 64'-6" Mk.1s. ........Not 64'-1.5", or even 63'.

This shortness in length does make it even more tricky to fit alternative sides to your Bulleids. (end of rant) smile.gif

post-7009-127661410226_thumb.jpg

Data plate on an ex-Bulleid BSK No. S 2526 S. Converted to MEs RSE Section Instruction Car.

Dimension 67ft. - 1ins. relates to the overall length, with buffers extended. Dimension 9ft. - 3ins. is the overall width, including handles

post-7009-0-92419000-1311257983_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure about this one

Data plate on a BR Std. Mk.1 TSO No.S(ex-M) 4842.

post-7009-0-17743500-1311258048_thumb.jpg

This one's easier to read, without the White paint.

The 63' - 5" dimension must refer to the length over the headstocks, as the bodysides were 63' - 6" over corners. l suspect the 9' & 9' - 3" dimensions refer to width, without, and with handles.

Confusing, innit ?

Regards.

Edited to include extra pics. and text.

So does this mean that (say) Comet sides will need fettling if I have a go at Bachmann Bulleid upgrades? ISTR that someone posted that it was easier to use Mk1s (even old Hornby ones) and Comet Bulleid sides, modify the underframes and change the bogies rather than fiddle with the Bachmann product.

36E

Hi Mallard60022.

Given the interest (I've also took notice of your thread developing in 'Questions & Help'), I'm trying to piece together some comparative pics, using Comet's & 247 Developement's Bulleid coach sides up against the Bachmann models.

In the past, I've used Lam Model's pierced plasticard sides on Hornby Mk.1 donors, but, even this needs the underframe, roof, ends and bogies (along with bogie centres :- Hornby's and Southern Pride's are 2mm. too far apart) worked on to achieve a good representation.

When the Comet sides became available I offered up these against the Hornby Mk.1, and they did seem a pretty good replacement, although it still meant quite a bit of work on the other bits.

I then did the same with the Bachmann Bulleids, which had appeared in the meantime. I was somewhat disappointed to see that the etched brass sides of both Comet & 247 Dev. overlapped the ends by 1.5mm.to 1mm., and were slightly higher from solebar to cantrail.

This meant, that, to get the sides to fit, rather than shaving them down,(which would defeat the object) I would have to cut the ends from the Bachmann u/frame and re-space, also cut the roof from the body sides and fit to suit.

In the end, I said (to myself) S*D It, and sent away for 2 x Comet's complete kits of their 3-car Bulleid/BRCW sets, which, sad to say, I'm still working on......Nit pickin' / rivet countin' ?...don't even enter into it. crazy_mini.gif

Regards

• 1 year later...

I am adding this comment so I can go back to this discussion. I did just obtain a BCK-CK-BCK set and am somewhat disappointed in the work it will take to make decent Southern Railway Bulleids out of them.

Interestingly I had a chat with Graham Hubbard about the Bachmann Dapol Coaches at the National Train Show in Sacramento this Sunday past. Among the topics discussed, the he defended both the length and hue of the BR Southern color. What was Graham Hubbard doing at the US National Train Show was not a topic of discussion. He did suggest Southern Pride sides as a remedy for my pre-BR fetish. Unfortunately, the Southern Pride website indicates these are not available right now.

oh well....

Hi All.

It's good to see autocoach's revival of this thread. :good_mini:

It might be a good idea to include this thread into RMweb's/Graham Muz's Southern Railway Group forum/sub-forum. (Not quite sure, how to do that)

ln the meantime, here's some comparative pics. showing where Bachmann's Bulleids, vs. Comet's (And the prototype), fall short.

post-7009-0-15945900-1310748112_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-39836800-1311685266_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-97275600-1310748284_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-09208400-1310748305_thumb.jpg

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

He did suggest Southern Pride sides as a remedy for my pre-BR fetish. Unfortunately, the Southern Pride website indicates these are not available right now.

oh well....

I seem to recall from one of the various previous discussions on this subject that the Comet sides don't fit the Southern Pride clear sides exactly either, so this suggests that the S.P. pre-coloured sides wouldn't be a precise fit Bachmann's Bulleids.

It might be a good idea to include this thread into RMweb's/Graham Muz's Southern Railway Group forum/sub-forum. (Not quite sure, how to do that)

Just PM him and ask for it to be included in the list of links

Befuddled confusion....the Dapol was not meant to be there. I had Dapol on the mind. Graham also had a very pessimistic view of the BWT, but that may be because Bachmann isn't doing it.

Pity the Southern Pride are not available (can't use the initials, living where I do SP has an altogether different meaning in a railroad context). I liked the Southern Pride approach. Gives a very flush glaze.

I find Bachmann's BR Green shade change quite frustrating, so I won't be getting any new Bulleids. I still think that they are good models, they just won't match what I already have. This is the same with my Mk1s. The difference between the two shades is just too obvious.

Whilst I would be intrigued to see a Hornby attempt at some fully up to date Bulleids, I think these models are fantastic given their age. As a result, there are several different types of stock that I would rather see retooled, and am happy to keep my current rake in my 'front-line' stock.

Bulleid coaches!

I want to include the 2nd open stock that ended up in Scotland!

Any ideas about modelling these would be appreciated.

Not much to say really Phil, it's just a case of getting the appropriate model (which is in the Bachy range), painting it maroon and numbering to suit - the numbers are filed away on Robertcwp's Coaching Stock group. Detailing is to choice, and will be made easier by Mr Hanson's forthcoming Lazerglaze sets

Archived