Paint mixer'stirrer.

JZ

Looking for a reasonably priced paint mixer/stirrer. I usually put a ball bearing in pots, but some of my older paints, particularly matt enamels are proving difficult to get going.

There are several different ones on Amazon and eBay, but what ones do  people use?

https://www.amazon.ca/Cordless-Mixer-For-Model-Paints/dp/B06XHLPZ45/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mini+battery+paint+stirrer&qid=1637529911&sr=8-1

I use this one. I can't access the UK amazon web page to see if it is available there but it is a great tool for the mini pots of Humbrol and others I still have left over from my UK days here in Canada.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

I use a cheap shaker from Amazon, the type with a rubber strap to hold the paint container on the shaker, seemed to be aimed at the nail varnish and tattoo ink user, have seen branded ones that look identical for a lot more money, I put a stainless steel ball in all my paint containers (from Ammo Mig) to aid mixing.

paint-shaker.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GeraldH said:

I have found the Expo 70800 - Paint Stirring Tool to be very effective and much better than the various metal rods, nails, bits of wood etc. that I used previously.

Just got one of those myself a few weeks ago.

Cheap as chips and easy to clean. I just dip it into a bottle of old thinners that I use for washing brushes and wipe clean.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I approached this problem on the basis that I would be stirring in small Humbrol and Preciusion tinlets, and that I didn't want to spend any money.  So I found a spare bit of stainless steel 2mm tube, bent the end of it into a 10mm L shape, and use that in my normal full-size Parkside DIY drill to stir the paint.  I didn't consider symmetry and no havoc has ensued.  I usually use full, ie fastest, power and as long as you keep a tight hold on the tinlet it works very well.

DT

I've the same problem with humbrol enamels so I made this= tools ,jigs and others useful ideas - Modelling Questions, Help and Tips - RMweb

the good thing is any jar/tin will fit and i can leave it running (go make a cup of tea) it keeps the paint mixed ,it doesn't make any noise and most importantly i seem to get better results 

another tip i found on here if your matt paint is drying satin/gloss add a little bit of talc  

I have a Badger stirrer, very effective even when the paint has not seen use for some time. Two things to watch though, when there is a lot of solid paint it can attach itself to the stirrer and hence you run the risk of splurging it everywhere, so I always hold the tinlet with a rag wrapped around it, extending well above the top.

The other issue is the on off button which is easy to catch; thankfully I've not done that (yet) when the stirrer is covered with paint!

A simple trick to avoiding or minimizing paint splatter when using a powered paint stirrer is to first place an empty toilet paper centre over the tin/jar to be stirred and grip at the bottom. The cardboard tube is soft enough that this should not be a problem and even if you do accidentally raise the stirrer above the top of the container the spray will be limited (I am assuming we all put some form of paper underneath the paint container in the first place).

Cheers,

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2021 at 21:54, ROSSPOP said:

81fFxk1iIcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use this one from Amazon.

It seems there are several 'brands' of this one. Mine's a 'Trumpeter' and is identical to the Badger one. All these are highly recommended for airbrushing. The Tamiya paint stirrers are great too if you've got an old tin of thick paint before using the battery ones or for small brush-painting jobs.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2021 at 21:28, budgie9 said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cordless-Mixer-For-Model-Paints/dp/B06XHLPZ45/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mini+battery+paint+stirrer&qid=1637529911&sr=8-1

I use this one. I can't access the UK amazon web page to see if it is available there but it is a great tool for the mini pots of Humbrol and others I still have left over from my UK days here in Canada.

Hope it helps.

UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=LYSB06XHLPZ45-TOYS&crid=31E34NR4A7ZBQ&sprefix=lysb06xhlpz45-toys%2Caps%2C157&ref=nb_sb_noss

Edited by melmerby

I use one of those hand held mini fans, usually £1 from local supermarket. Pull fan blades off spindle, piece of brass tube glued on, then brass rod bent to triangle shape glued into that. A couple of AA batteries last ages, used on Humbol, Precision tinlets, and Railmatch jars.

Nigel L

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 months later...

I know I am rather late arriving on the scene (so to speak), but I thought you might find this of interest:

Recently, my ageing paint stirrer finally gave up the ghost and despite taking it apart to see if I could fix it, I couldn’t do anything with it. Therefore I went looking for a replacement.

Of course, there are quite a few paint stirrers “specially designed for the modeller“ (sic) available such as the item shown by @ROSSPOP above.  Unfortunately, such items are very expensive (if bought locally) or are either “Nicht lieferbar in der Schweiz” (can’t be delivered to Switzerland) or have an  insane shipping cost (SFr.50 on a SFr.15 item. Really?)

The solution came in the form of a cocktail stirrer with interchangeable stirring heads. Reasonably priced and with reasonable shipping costs. And, as an added an unexpected bonus, the stirring head - which is along the lines of the design of the intake fan in a jet engine - is essentially self cleaning. After using it to stir paint by simply putting it in a cleaning solution (I’m using water as I paint with acrylics) and giving it a whizz, it comes up perfectly clean with no trapped residue…

Something to investigate, perhaps?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2021 at 15:02, heavymetalwagons said:

I've the same problem with humbrol enamels so I made this= tools ,jigs and others useful ideas - Modelling Questions, Help and Tips - RMweb

the good thing is any jar/tin will fit and i can leave it running (go make a cup of tea) it keeps the paint mixed ,it doesn't make any noise and most importantly i seem to get better results 

another tip i found on here if your matt paint is drying satin/gloss add a little bit of talc  

Please can you post a link to the device you made? I can't find it!

Ian