Jump to content

New hst


jonnyuk
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the show, they photographed and measured the ex FGW powercar at Crewe Heritage Centre, then 're-vamped' their current offering around the rear doors, front lights and coupling mechanism.  They also mentioned that a double sugar cube speaker would be present and new led lighting functions.  It looked pretty good!  Especially the coupling!

 

Such a shame the FGW set are finally being re-released on the old chassis :-(

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

They also featured a restaurant car with the missing roof vents - fast becoming a Hornby signature model. I hope they are re doing the original coaches as well.

 

I suspect we will see a model of the HST prototype from another manufacturer and perhaps that manufacture might decide to do the production versions as well?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like this method of announcing new products via obscure TV channels, I look forward to the next Bachmann quarterly announcements via QVC and something filthy from Accurascale on late night Channel 5 :lol:

 

Hopefully Hornby may one day do Great Western Trains ‘Merlin’ and ‘Fag Packet’ on the new power cars please, at over 20 years old, both liveries are now well into nostalgia territory!

 

Cheers,

James

  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Theres been rumours of Rapido making the prototype power cars for some years, if they were to take a leap to the production cars at the same time could have logic, thats about the only rumour I can think of.
 

it seems pointless to me though, aside of the coupling upgrade, such a minor amendments to an already detailed model which pushes over £300 a pair already isnt going to get loads of people to drop their old ones and trade in for lets guess a £350-375 one with minor upgrades..if i ‘m wrong then theres some big money dealers in this hobby.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh thanks for the spoiler! I'm three weeks behind on this TV series! :laugh:

 

Oh here was I thinking the 2008 retool could not be topped! So I'm guessing now my swallow livery with buffers, the unbuffered swallow livery my eastern region, HST 40th anniversary HST , with the 5 MK3 coaches ( anyone know why they never made 8 for this one) . Executive livery  LNER Farewell  GWR first and last and the 2021 FGW purple HST sets won't be as good?

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is it not just the amendments to the tooling for the Pullman HST headlight rather than a totally new model?

 

the way it is was positioned by the programme,, so we have to take a step back and remember this is in the "made for tv" style of setup meetings and things, it was billed as a complete makeover of the HST that Hornby last updated 14 years ago, so thats the 2006/07 ones (which I didnt think were that bad for detail compared to RTR versions) and in Simon Ks words he wanted a "Rolls Royce HST" to  "fight fire with fire" of this unnamed rivals attempt to do a better than Hornby version of the HST, oh and the redesign had to be perfect, so we can expect Mk3 interior coach lighting with a bunch of  gigantic capacitors on show maybe ;)

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stonojnr said:

 

the way it is was positioned by the programme,, so we have to take a step back and remember this is in the "made for tv" style of setup meetings and things, it was billed as a complete makeover of the HST that Hornby last updated 14 years ago, so thats the 2006/07 ones (which I didnt think were that bad for detail compared to RTR versions) and in Simon Ks words he wanted a "Rolls Royce HST" to  "fight fire with fire" of this unnamed rivals attempt to do a better than Hornby version of the HST, oh and the redesign had to be perfect, so we can expect Mk3 interior coach lighting with a bunch of  gigantic capacitors on show maybe ;)

 

 

And hopefully correct BR liveries MK3 buffet coaches with the correct underframe battery boxes and roof vents! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I do like this method of announcing new products via obscure TV channels, I look forward to the next Bachmann quarterly announcements via QVC and something filthy from Accurascale on late night Channel 5 :lol:

 

Hopefully Hornby may one day do Great Western Trains ‘Merlin’ and ‘Fag Packet’ on the new power cars please, at over 20 years old, both liveries are now well into nostalgia territory!

 

Cheers,

James

Yes Great Western Trains ‘Merlin’ livery with INTERCITY on the MK3s! 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Theres been rumours of Rapido making the prototype power cars for some years, if they were to take a leap to the production cars at the same time could have logic, thats about the only rumour I can think of.

 

My recollection of what was posted in the past was that Rapido and Locomotion were going to do the prototype power cars but one or both sides decided to back out.

 

One of the issues was that most of the feedback was that people really wanted appropriate coaches to go with the prototype power cars, and without those coaches many weren't interested in the power cars alone.

 

And then Oxford Rail announced their all singing all dancing every version possible Mk3 model, which would have meant a Rapido coach would have been number 3 to market.  At a guess that was viewed as a problem.

 

Of course with the benefit of seeing what happened the Oxford Mk3 and Hornby's ongoing (until perhaps now) ignoring of updating their HST products (both power cars and the Mk3 coaches) it is possible that someone has decided there might be potential anyway - particularly with the arrival of Accurascale and the recent rush by many manufacturers to come out with new high detail version of models (and the market responding by buying them).

 

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

it seems pointless to me though, aside of the coupling upgrade, such a minor amendments to an already detailed model which pushes over £300 a pair already isnt going to get loads of people to drop their old ones and trade in for lets guess a £350-375 one with minor upgrades..if i ‘m wrong then theres some big money dealers in this hobby.

 

I agree minor upgrades won't be well received - not with what Accurascale, Bachmann, Cavalex, Heljan, Rapido and others are currently bringing to market.

 

On the other hand, while it won't get people to replace existing models does it get it "good enough" to scare away a potential competitor if they haven't yet started tooling?  If a minimal investment allows Hornby to keep exclusivity then it could potentially pay off to the detriment of modellers who would prefer a better model.

 

 

Edited by mdvle
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the HSTs that are due in January (Midland Pullman, FGW)  will have the modifications? They were measuring up the HST at Crewe heritage centre not long after it had arrived as it was still in FGW with the roof missing but it had the original style lights installed so possibly January 2021 time?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, mdvle said:

 

My recollection of what was posted in the past was that Rapido and Locomotion were going to do the prototype power cars but one or both sides decided to back out.

 

One of the issues was that most of the feedback was that people really wanted appropriate coaches to go with the prototype power cars, and without those coaches many weren't interested in the power cars alone.

 

And then Oxford Rail announced their all singing all dancing every version possible Mk3 model, which would have meant a Rapido coach would have been number 3 to market.  At a guess that was viewed as a problem.

 

Of course with the benefit of seeing what happened the Oxford Mk3 and Hornby's ongoing (until perhaps now) ignoring of updating their HST products (both power cars and the Mk3 coaches) it is possible that someone has decided there might be potential anyway - particularly with the arrival of Accurascale and the recent rush by many manufacturers to come out with new high detail version of models (and the market responding by buying them).

 

 

I agree minor upgrades won't be well received - not with what Accurascale, Bachmann, Cavalex, Heljan, Rapido and others are currently bringing to market.

 

On the other hand, while it won't get people to replace existing models does it get it "good enough" to scare away a potential competitor if they haven't yet started tooling?  If a minimal investment allows Hornby to keep exclusivity then it could potentially pay off to the detriment of modellers who would prefer a better model.

 

 

don't know how you can say at the detriment of modellers who would prefer a better model. the HST is a good model already, it only needs a bit of spit and polish. i do agree with you though, they may have done enough to ward off anyone else who had to start from scratch.

 

38 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I suppose the only way I would buy another one is if it came out in a livery I wanted. Unfortunately, we didn't learn that much about it but could it be that they are upgrading the "railroad" model? That would make more sense, there is a much bigger market out there for those.

would love to see east midlands liveries, very eye catching.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I suppose the only way I would buy another one is if it came out in a livery I wanted. Unfortunately, we didn't learn that much about it but could it be that they are upgrading the "railroad" model? That would make more sense, there is a much bigger market out there for those.

At one point early in the episode Simon K says he wants a Rolls Royce model (or words to that effect) so an updated railroad version is unlikely. I'd like those to be available (in the early livery) as they are at the right price / performance point of this loco (unit?) for me.

Edited by H2O
Clarify
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...