Unknown Etched Brass J39 Kit

AJCT

I'm hoping the collective expertise around here can help me identify the origin of an etched brass kit in 4mm scale, for an LNER J39 0-6-0, which I've acquired from the estate of a fellow modeller.  I say "4mm scale" as that's what these etches are, but they have 2 sets of Register Marks which I understand would enable the artwork to be etched to either 0 Gauge 1:43.5 or 00 Gauge 1:76.2.  Apart from these, there are no markings at all to identify the origin of the etches.

The "Loco" etch is 7.8" x 6.5" and the "Tender" etch (which is for the 4200 gallon version) is 9.8" x 6.6".  They're both flat etches which I'd have thought would rule them out as being from either the Pro-Scale or Anchoridge boxed kits.

As you can see there's a part missing from the "Loco" etch: there's no boiler (though I'd have said the gap was too small for an unrolled one) or other castings like chimney, dome or smokebox door.

Any help appreciated !

Alasdair

J39 etch - loco.jpg

J39 etch - tender.jpg

Could it be the Micro Metalsmiths (of Kirbymoorside) kit, I seem to recall they had a cast firebox, boiler, smokebox. They made a really nice high precision reduction gearbox attached to a quality coreless motor long before these type of motors became popular, with drive shaft to a final drive gearbox.

Quite a few of these kits and drivetrain components ended up at what must have been the UK's smallest by square footage model railway retailer ever - Bob Denny's at Sawley Junction, 3 people in the shop and you couldn't move - sadly now long gone.

I bought up all of the motors and drive trains from the proprietor and still have a few sets left, I don't think I will ever get such a bargain of such high quality components again.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that... any chance you could post a pic of the J39 motor / drive train in case one turns up among my late friend's effects ?

Does anyone have an assembled example of the J39 kit, of which they could post a pic?

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Spelling

2 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

As requested

Many thanks for that, Paul: I think you've identified as MD1s a couple of motor/gearbox units I bought several years ago from another fellow-modeller's collection - long before the recent  acquisition of the J39 etches.

I'm assuming one way of using the MD1 is to mount it in the tender and drive the loco via a cardan shaft and UJs - possibly a bit beyond my skill set at the moment...!

Anyway, if the opportunity arises for another look though my recently-departed friend's collection I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for in terms of drive-train components.

Cheers -

Alasdair