How are Platforms constructed

• RMweb Premium

The main station I know about  was constructed on a slight slope on which the line went across, the line was dug out and platforms walled.

The up hill side platform was dug out, covered in many layers of ballast and rolled.. The edging stones at the platform side were 75% on the wall 25% onto the rolled ballast.

The Down hill side platform was double sided, the walls were built filled with what was dug out from elsewhere, covered in the ballast and rolled.

Only round the station building was there deeper ballast rolled before slabs were placed on top.

4 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

There are numerous methods in current use, including modular systems where the surface is supported  by a steel frame, and even the use of polystyrene blocks as infill.  There should be articles on station reconstruction on the link below, which should give some idea.  

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/

I seem to recall that when Worle station was built in 1990 polystyrene blocks (or similar) were used, to keep the weight down, as the station is located on the marshy land of the North Somerset levels. I think it might have been a relatively new method at the time,

cheers

• RMweb Premium

The question referred to "traditional" platforms but the responses seem mostly to address modern techniques. I think that in general, the OP has answered his own question:

11 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

built up with earth

... though as always there will have been exceptions, e.g. timber, or brick arches, etc. It's worth looking at photos of closed stations on lines that remained open; the platform edges were often cut back. Here's a random example:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjk27.htm

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The question referred to "traditional" platforms but the responses seem mostly to address modern techniques. I think that in general, the OP has answered his own question:

... though as always there will have been exceptions, e.g. timber, or brick arches, etc. It's worth looking at photos of closed stations on lines that remained open; the platform edges were often cut back. Here's a random example:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjk27.htm

Yes. Not just earth, but also all sorts of rubble backfill. There were also many platforms built on masonry or wooden piers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, ikcdab said:

Yes. Not just earth, but also all sorts of rubble backfill. There were also many platforms built on masonry or wooden piers.

No doubt whatever infilling materials were to hand. I strongly suspect that masonry or wood piers were very much in a minority; how many examples can you give, against examples of simple infilling?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No doubt whatever infilling materials were to hand. I strongly suspect that masonry or wood piers were very much in a minority; how many examples can you give, against examples of simple infilling?

No doubt in the minority yes. Platforms such as that were built for cheapness, quickness or for light weight etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No doubt whatever infilling materials were to hand. 

And depending on whether they had an excess or a shortage of spoil in the immediate area no doubt. We may guess it would be different for additional or extended platforms built after the line was constructed. I think I'm right in saying in my (Southern Electric) area original platforms are typically brick and presumably infill, but there are later extensions on reinforced concrete 'scaffolding'. 

There was a staff halt at Meldon Quarry for the quarry staff.

The Dartmoor Railway built a new platform at Meldon, but this wooden construction is to the west of that nearer the viaduct,  is this part of the remains of the LSWR station, or a later construction?

IMG_7507.JPG.5e1cd6856406b03401b4e6024b4e0473.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG.97e7aa125005ad913e75f1151e484b06.JPG

Meldon platform with the Dartmoor Railway platform beyond it towards Okehampton, 27/8/2017

cheers

IMG_7507.JPG

Edited by Rivercider
Tidying up.

The interesting Swithland-Signal-Works website http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/plans.htm has a superb range of original infrastructure drawings from the MS&L/GCR, including these that might be relevant to this topic:-

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/13_PLATFORM_WHARF_WALLS.jpg

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/14_Timber_Platforms.jpg

and several others worth exploring.  It might not be your chosen railway company, but the principles were often generally applied.

• Like 1

Have a look at the various blogs at the Glos Warks railway. They have rebuilt several platforms the most recent at Broadway. They even used authentic blue engineering bricks including some from a GWR turntable at Avonmouth.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JimC said:

And depending on whether they had an excess or a shortage of spoil in the immediate area no doubt. We may guess it would be different for additional or extended platforms built after the line was constructed. I think I'm right in saying in my (Southern Electric) area original platforms are typically brick and presumably infill, but there are later extensions on reinforced concrete 'scaffolding'. 

The Southern being an enthusiastic user of pre-cast concrete. But that's exactly the type of 20th-century innovation that I wouldn't describe as "traditional".

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

There was a staff halt at Meldon Quarry forthe quarry staff.

The Dartmoor Railway built a new platform at Meldon, but this wooden construction is to the west of that nearer the viaduct,  is this part of the remains of the LSWR station, or a later construction?

How many bolt holes in the sleepers? That might set an earliest date...

Staff halts and similar temporary or non-timetable stations probably didn't have to meet the same standards of construction as permanent passenger platforms used by the general public, not being subject to inspection by the Board of Trade before being permitted to open.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Platforms don't have to be solid. 

https://bodminrailway.co.uk/content/uploads/2019/03/Boscarne-waiting-room-18-Sep-09-Don-Bishop-600x600.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/_5534615_orig.jpg

And then you get to the extreme end of a minimalist platform, a frame and a mesh surface. (link from Facebook)

249047893_274879564644868_65971210004687

• Like 1

A question of interest to modellers is how the station building related to the platform level and the original ground level. I think by far the most common arrangement was for the same level from the road side entrance through to the platform (possibly with a slight slope up from the platform side door to the edge of the platform in the case of very old buildings where the platform had been raised subsequently to meet later requirements). I seem to recall the Superquick station kit had a step up halfway across the building to fit a two sided platform but I think that would be an exceptional arrangement in real live. At least two of the K&ESR Headcorn extension stations (High Halden Road and Frittenden Road) had a small set of brick steps up to the road side door, but again I think that would have been unusual. In general I guess the station approach road would have been by raised using spoil of some sort. Easier when the be station was in a cutting of course.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

A question of interest to modellers is how the station building related to the platform level and the original ground level. I think by far the most common arrangement was for the same level from the road side entrance through to the platform (possibly with a slight slope up from the platform side door to the edge of the platform in the case of very old buildings where the platform had been raised subsequently to meet later requirements). I seem to recall the Superquick station kit had a step up halfway across the building to fit a two sided platform but I think that would be an exceptional arrangement in real live. At least two of the K&ESR Headcorn extension stations (High Halden Road and Frittenden Road) had a small set of brick steps up to the road side door, but again I think that would have been unusual. In general I guess the station approach road would have been by raised using spoil of some sort. Easier when the be station was in a cutting of course.

I think that's probably the most likely for a station with platforms reasonably close to grade.  It also allows a gate to bring barrows and even vehicles etc onto the platform, which could then cross the line via the "barrow crossing".  

I imagine Superquick have designed their buildings for the traditional flat baseboard with platforms standing above it.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The making of a railway, by LTC Rolt has a few small photos of platforms under construction. on the GC. It looks as if the wall is about 24" thick, (possibly 27" or 3 bricks). One photo shows that the inner part was made up of a series of arches, presumably to save weight and materials.

This picture, taken during reconstruction on a platform at Eastleigh still in use shows just a brick and a half wall, with the platform edge slabs centrally above. The fill seems hard packed, and it looks as if the gap behind the new brickwork is filled with concrete

1-sca029.jpg.2a84684664b8ee01cefa3259e7f0ee60.jpg

At Micheldever, before  it was reinstated, the remains of the central platform looked to be nothing special. It looks as if the walls had been removed, the loose fill heaped up. and allowed to grow grass and weeds.sca005.jpg.f4c4ee4164ea9f8b2a1e76c60ab5d45d.jpg

Dave

Edited by unravelled
  • Like 2