Class 156 programming

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure that I know the answer to this, but I’ll ask anyway.  I’m planning to run one of my 156’s with a Hornby 153, as the individual 156 cars have to be programmed separately, is it possible to switch off the head/tail lights on the 156 nearest the 153?

Unless you re-wire them to do that, sadly no.

The new ones are just the same as the older versions.

Charlie

All these models have:

2 X Low Profile motors in each Carriage on rear bogie as per the prototype.

Full Interior lights in passenger areas.

Seperate Cab lights with 'Autofade' on DCC.

Working door lights with a delay on the rear car as per the prototype on DCC.

Two Pin inter-carriage coupling between the cars for extra track current collection.

Full detailed interior with no motor visible, seperatly painted tables.

Etched window wipers.

Dummy BSI Couplings and NEM Tension Lock couplings supplied.

Over the top underframe detailing with over 170 seperate components!!!

Full detailed corridor connections with kinetic powered coupling system.

Fully Detailed Roof with detail differences on each carriage.

Flickering Passenger Lighting when switched on using DCC.

Day & Night time running lights.

Tinted passenger glazing.

Highly accurate graphics & lettering.

Etched Exhaust Cover & seperate exhaust pipe.

156411 Northern-Bubbles-website.jpg

Edited by charliepetty

In reply to Jools1959. This is possible, but only on DCC, by programming the two decoders (one in each unit) so the lights all operate on a different function button. You can then get separate markers lights each end, independent day and night headlights and separately switched tail lights. On DC you are not able to do this, as Charlie says. I used an ESU programmer to do mine and it was an easy operation, by programming each unit independently of each other. Just need to work out which function output does what and what F buttons you want the lights on.

Edited by Tony Walker
Added a bit more on
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

In reply to Jools1959. This is possible, but only on DCC, by programming the two decoders (one in each unit) so the lights all operate on a different function button. You can then get separate markers lights each end, independent day and night headlights and separately switched tail lights. On DC you are not able to do this, as Charlie says. I used an ESU programmer to do mine and it was an easy operation, by programming each unit independently of each other. Just need to work out which function output does what and what F buttons you want the lights on.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the units are DCC fitted.  At first I couldn’t figure out what Charlie was saying until I realised he was referring to DC.

• 5 months later...
On 27/11/2021 at 11:02, Tony Walker said:

so the lights all operate on a different function button.

What I tend to do on anything with independent rear lighting, and can be done on MUs with multiple decoders too, is to program functions so both ends come on directionally (so just turning the lights on sets front and rear based on direction), day night lights come on at the end based on direction, and then have functions to turn the ends off, as this is more efficient than having functions for each LED on each end and is simpler to use. So in my case you'd run it as normal and just have one function activated to disable all lighting at the appropriate end.