IRM Black Friday Bonanza Sale - Up to 40% off Selected Items! Fancy a bit of Irish?

• RMweb Gold

10.jpg.d2ba2d5a979b21dae7f96c6d38e78a92.jpg

It's time for our famous Black Friday sale!

Unlike piecemeal token sales items with other retailers, we offer you serious savings on in-stock items, and 2021 is our biggest sale yet.

How about this for a deal? Save 30% on any ballast, gypsum or spoil wagon pack, and a whopping 40% if you buy two packs or more!

We also have 30% off our remaining stocks of Murphy Models 121 Class locomotives!

Our sale runs from 9am Friday November 26th until Monday, 29th at 6pm, or until stock runs out. Don't miss out, get these unbeatable bargains while you can!

Check out all the deals right here: https://irishrailwaymodels.co.uk/collections/black-friday-sale

(sadly we have barely any stock in stock to do an Accurascale sale. Hopefully we will do one again next year!)

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

Must admit I'm very tempted by those beautiful ballast wagons - after all who better than the Irish when it comes to stuff that has to be shovelled !  Rule 1 says it could magically regauge as it goes over the bridge that Boris isn't now going to build to Stranraer, or maybe the short crossing via the  Ballycastle-Mull of Kintyre tunnel ! 

But I'd better refrain as I still fancy more of the Accurascale products when funds permit.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

10.jpg.d2ba2d5a979b21dae7f96c6d38e78a92.jpg

(sadly we have barely any stock in stock to do an Accurascale sale. Hopefully we will do one again next year!)

Cheers!

Fran 

That should tell you something,you get it right it sells itself,thanks for the effort you all put into the models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 26/11/2021 at 18:51, Michael Hodgson said:

Must admit I'm very tempted by those beautiful ballast wagons - after all who better than the Irish when it comes to stuff that has to be shovelled !  Rule 1 says it could magically regauge as it goes over the bridge that Boris isn't now going to build to Stranraer, or maybe the short crossing via the  Ballycastle-Mull of Kintyre tunnel ! 

But I'd better refrain as I still fancy more of the Accurascale products when funds permit.

:offtopic: Ah yes, the bridge – or the tunnel. It is stated that for safety reasons, a tunnel would have to be rail only. I wonder how they would have dealt with the change of gauge. Dual gauge to Belfast, perhaps? Container transfer at Larne, similar to what happens twice on the Silk Road? Academic now, I suppose. Interesting that it was said that, even though it is unaffordable, it would be transformational.

• Like 1

If there ever was a way to link Ireland to the European rail network then I suspect regauging the entire Irish network would be a small part of the overall budget. It could be done in stages, dual gauging the principal routes first and eventually regauging the whole lot to standard gauge. The tunnel/bridge is rather unlikely though. There's no economic justification for it.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, murphaph said:

If there ever was a way to link Ireland to the European rail network then I suspect regauging the entire Irish network would be a small part of the overall budget. It could be done in stages, dual gauging the principal routes first and eventually regauging the whole lot to standard gauge. The tunnel/bridge is rather unlikely though. There's no economic justification for it.

When I was doing work with the EU many years ago, the then Directorate General for Transport and Energy seriously looked at regulating the track gauge in Europe: mandating standard gauge and a loading gauge that far exceeded that in the UK.

I remember sitting down and explaining the implications for the UK alone (rebuilding stations, bridges, tunnels etc.), The idea was put on the shelf - the EU does not bin ideas, just pauses them, often indefinitely.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Surely they would have to re gauge the European rail network :)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Surely they would have to re gauge the European rail network :)

Compromise, the way it was done in Ireland, giving rise to the 5' 3" gauge. Regauge all of Europe to something between 5' 3" and 4' 8½". Let’s say 5' 0". Then we could climb on a train in, say, Galway and chunter all the way to Vladivostok. Finland and the Baltics wouldn’t have to change. Europe could mess them up by doing something radical to the loading gauge.

I’m warming to this idea. Let’s rejoin Europe on condition that they all convert to driving on the left. Shake off the chains of Napoleon! Oh yes, and dump metric and convert Europe to Imperial. Now that we have lost an empire, we need a new one.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Compromise, the way it was done in Ireland, giving rise to the 5' 3" gauge. Regauge all of Europe to something between 5' 3" and 4' 8½". Let’s say 5' 0". Then we could climb on a train in, say, Galway and chunter all the way to Vladivostok. Finland and the Baltics wouldn’t have to change. Europe could mess them up by doing something radical to the loading gauge.

I’m warming to this idea. Let’s rejoin Europe on condition that they all convert to driving on the left. Shake off the chains of Napoleon! Oh yes, and dump metric and convert Europe to Imperial. Now that we have lost an empire, we need a new one.

Not sure why you got a laugh for that - I think you're on to something. It's just the kind of idea that politicians thrive on. Let's all march on Leningrad!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Leningrad isn't there any more.  You'll have to settle for Санкт-Петербур

I assume that's St. Petersburg? :) Watched the death of Stalin earlier so still trying to get back into this century.