Revolution Trains Clayton Class 18 battery hybrid loco

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

From the Revolution trains FB page.

Heads up! We will be unveiling a new locomotive project at 1800 today on our website, You Tube channel and here. Initially in 00, then N if there is enough interest, the models will be available exclusively from Rails Of Sheffield

Edited by newbryford
Title change
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this will be Revolution’s entry into their own steam locos. Having worked with Sonic on the 2mm 56xx it’s a no brainer to use the data to produce a 4mm version. After all everyone love small GW locos and a BLT. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolf27 said:

I think this will be Revolution’s entry into their own steam locos. Having worked with Sonic on the 2mm 56xx it’s a no brainer to use the data to produce a 4mm version. After all everyone love small GW locos and a BLT. 

They didn't work with Sonic, the model was all Sonic, RevolutioN introduced the company into the UK by facilitating the initial purchases until Rails took over.  Sonic are now happily working on their next N and OO models with Rails.

So Revolution won't be able to produce a 4mm of a model they did not tool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

They didn't work with Sonic, the model was all Sonic, RevolutioN introduced the company into the UK by facilitating the initial purchases until Rails took over.  Sonic are now happily working on their next N and OO models with Rails.

So Revolution won't be able to produce a 4mm of a model they did not tool.

Well that's me told.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Initially in 00, then N if there is enough interest,

Also, as the 56xx already exists in N, then this statement would make no sense if the intended new model was a 4mm 56xx!

That said, even though everything Woodenhead said is correct, some early Revolution announcements about the 56xx were headed “our first steam locomotive”, so a bit of confusion is forgivable.

I’m a bit disappointed to see Revolution, of all companies, moving to the “4mm first and we’ll see about N afterwards” model, given how & why the company was set up in the first place. I suspect that the model will be too modern for me anyway, so I’m reserving more of my steam hopes for Sonic…who, after their J50 have also now decided to produce their next loco in 4mm only with no sign of an N follow-up!

Sometimes you wonder if someone’s trying to tell you you’re in the wrong game…

Richard T

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Sometimes you wonder if someone’s trying to tell you you’re in the wrong game gauge/scale

Richard T

There -  fixed it for you.

:jester:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Also, as the 56xx already exists in N, then this statement would make no sense if the intended new model was a 4mm 56xx!

That said, even though everything Woodenhead said is correct, some early Revolution announcements about the 56xx were headed “our first steam locomotive”, so a bit of confusion is forgivable.

I’m a bit disappointed to see Revolution, of all companies, moving to the “4mm first and we’ll see about N afterwards” model, given how & why the company was set up in the first place. I suspect that the model will be too modern for me anyway, so I’m reserving more of my steam hopes for Sonic…who, after their J50 have also now decided to produce their next loco in 4mm only with no sign of an N follow-up!

Richard T

Isnt it well known, according to someone else, that N gaugers have short arms and deep pockets?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

12 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Richard T

But if it's an exclusive for Rails then surely it's about the scale Rails want to do it in rather than any move to OO first on the part of Ben & Mike. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, RichardT said:

We've done/will do other models in 4mm first (eg our EALNOS JNA/MMA wagons, our forthcoming IWA holdall vans/timber carriers and our forthcoming Class 93) with 2mm following.  It is a practical reality of spreading out models in terms of scales and eras/regions. Other models come in 2mm first and then 4mm - it allows us to use any lessons from the development of one scale to the other.

Plus this model is an exclusive for Rails of Sheffield.

Having said which if it is successful then we'll do it in N.

Cheers Mike

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The battery electric class 18 is my guess, like the 93 that Revolution are working on, it is very new to the market.

Aren't KR doing those? They are doing some of the Clayton battery electrics and I think it's the same one as what will be called class 18.

I was thinking on the lines of working with Stadler on the 93, maybe it is an 88. Maybe just wishful thinking.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Aren't KR doing those? They are doing some of the Clayton battery electrics and I think it's the same one as what will be called class 18.

I was thinking on the lines of working with Stadler on the 93, maybe it is an 88. Maybe just wishful thinking.

KR are doing the Hunslet Bo-Bo - well have intentions of.

• RMweb Premium

Given that Ben has said he is happy with his Dapol HST (and that this model "might" get to n gauge) it seems to me that the HST option might not be the one. 

Quote from Ben on a thread a few months back

On 23/08/2021 at 18:18, Revolution Ben said:

I never could bring myself to buy the old Farish HST with its printed lights, but the Dapol power cars aren’t too bad are they?  I am pretty happy with mine....

cheers

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kris said:

Given that Ben has said he is happy with his Dapol HST (and that this model "might" get to n gauge) it seems to me that the HST option might not be the one. 

Quote from Ben on a thread a few months back

Ahh but he used dots....... that can mean something, and he did say fairly happy, so if pushed he would replace it should something better come along.

Rails doing a HST sounds right, although so does a class 18.  But why not do a HST, given what happened with the 91 and Mk4s, only someone with financial muscle is going to do a HST rake to compete with Hornby.

As the IC125 is a Hornby trophy model and no-one else has taken it on since Lima in 1982 (which to my eye is a better shaped power car tooling) the market is ripe for a competitor. The Mk3 is also ripe to be made to a higher standard and something that Revolution are more than capable to crack. It’s about time someone took on the Hornby cash cow.

• Agree 5