Revolution Trains Clayton Class 18 battery hybrid loco

newbryford

On 27/11/2021 at 19:40, PenrithBeacon said:

These days there's no good reason why he should need to.  If we can have cars which park themselves, it should be just as feasible to design controls for an electric loco to measure its distance to a set of wagons and buffer up precisely. 

By the same token, it could be done with passenger stock and there might be a case in due course for reintroducing the old idea of through carriages without worrying about the safety risk of permissive occupation of platforms to combine loaded passenger trains.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

If a shunter (ie a human) is still needed then why a camera? 

For buffering up if it’s a one man crew shunter/driver and he can’t see well to judge distance at the long end? If you bang on hard you tend to bounce back, or the wagons do. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

For buffering up if it’s a one man crew shunter/driver and he can’t see well to judge distance at the long end? If you bang on hard you tend to bounce back, or the wagons do. 

The photo showed a two man crew, driver and shunter. I would have thought just having a single person on the job would be a very long winded business.

It'll be interesting how a camera stands up to the shocks and vibration of the railway yard environment. The camera in the picture  didn't seem to be mounted on an anti-vibration/shock mount.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The photo showed a two man crew, driver and shunter. I would have thought just having a single person on the job would be a very long winded business.

It'll be interesting how a camera stands up to the shocks and vibration of the railway yard environment. The camera in the picture  didn't seem to be mounted on an anti-vibration/shock mount.

One person will be cheaper than two and using technology such as "auto" couplers and cameras will make one man more efficient.

Cameras these days are exceedingly resilient. And image stabilisation technology will take out any shock in the picture.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, newbryford said:

One person will be cheaper than two and using technology such as "auto" couplers and cameras will make one man more efficient.

Cameras these days are exceedingly resilient. And image stabilisation technology will take out any shock in the picture.

I was thinking of the effect of shock/vibration on the hardware not the image quality.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I was thinking of the effect of shock/vibration on the hardware not the image quality.

I think you misunderstood my comment re: camera resilience.

Just look at videos on youtube etc to see how physically resilient cameras can be - plenty of crash videos and the camera still works!

And much of today's rolling stock is already camera fitted - forward facing and being bounced around at high speeds in many cases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

A year plus ago, I had a thriller on the IOW units, and videoed the journey, whilst I was happilly being thrown about, the video of the rollercoaster I was expecting was quite sedate due to image stabilisation..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Cameras feed into the cab consoles (the driving console is set up the same either side) to make it easier/safer for the driver and any shunting staff. 

I can’t remember how automated the coupling can be as I only saw it being manually hooked up. 

The design is modular hence the differences between the Tata CBD90s and the Beacon CBD90s but Clayton have significant experience of locos operating in difficult environments eg quarries/mines etc. Plus the Tata locos have been in use for a couple of years and Tata have ordered an extra one. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Yes two people in that shot but it’s not necessarily standard practice. Sometimes it’s quicker to double up the crew and use one loco and other times two locos work separately is faster either for shunt release or top n tail. One man crews have been common in industry for years, even in steam days, to save money. The loco is equipped to give options and on a nice day it’s probably nicer to be stood on the steps with the remote enjoying the fresh air but in winter staying in the cab as much as possible is preferable  ;)  That is certainly true of crews in the US using remote control locos :) 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben & Mike.

I appreciate with a project like this that it’s continuously evolving and there will be commercial sensitivities attached but can you confirm (hint :scratchhead:) if there will be any further versions/liveries apart from those already announced?

If there is, will they be part of the initial releases or later on?  

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

On 20/01/2022 at 06:08, Revolution Mike said:

Hi Purnu

If there are any new liveries announced before we start production then we will definitely look to add them to the initial releases. It will ultimately depend on what happens with the real things!

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike 

Completely understand. Many thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...