Unknown engine livery ???.

Hi all,

Can any one here tell me if this was a real company livery. The colour is crimson lake same as the LMS. But who were the NECR ?. I bought the body shell already painted with some others. I really like it so it is not going to be repainted. But an just curious about it.

DSC_1159.JPG

DSC_1160.JPG

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1162.JPG

Having spent too much time trawling through the Railway Modeller archives, the initials seem to ring a bell, probably from the late fifties/early sixties, when it was quite common for modellers to create their own system, often with proprietary locos painted in a distinctive livery. This ex-LSWR M7 repaint is a bit later than that period, though. It is interesting to follow @Edwardian et al continuing this tradition, albeit with far more panache and background research, creating a thoroughly believable alternative scenario.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the answers. Nick I believe that your a probably quite right about the ficticious railway company. It was what I thought but just wanted to check. The paint job has been beautifully done. Makes me wonder if there may be any more engines from this person out there.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Having spent too much time trawling through the Railway Modeller archives, the initials seem to ring a bell, probably from the late fifties/early sixties, when it was quite common for modellers to create their own system, often with proprietary locos painted in a distinctive livery. This ex-LSWR M7 repaint is a bit later than that period, though. It is interesting to follow @Edwardian et al continuing this tradition, albeit with far more panache and background research, creating a thoroughly believable alternative scenario.

One that comes to mind is the Aultibrig & Mingulay Railway, which I recall perhaps not so much for the models, which are mainly LNER prototypes, but the builder Alan Gibson. The reason why his name stands out because in a letter at some stage (MRJ issue 9?), he refers to himself as 'the other Alan Gibson'. This refers to the Alan Gibson of wheel and kit manufacturer fame - since then the business has been sold off.