Whats every one been doing

cypherman

Hi all,

Just thought I would post some pictures of some of my latest batch of engines I have been working on. All of them came either in pieces, damaged, missing various essential items or as none runners. They are:

1/ Triang 3mt - 1956. The body plain black plastic. It looks like it never had any transfers or lining applied. Came minus motor and valve gear and 1 pony truck. Has fully cast driving wheels and early triang                couplings. Original driving wheels had to be replaced       as something similar Mazak rot seemed to have attcked the flanges and they had broken away in several places.

2/ Triang 3mt - 1959. Came as a none runner and had a broken crossbeam for the valve gear. A new cross beam was found and fitted.

3/ Triang 3mt - 1964. Came as none runner. Broken crossbeam for valve gear.Had valve gear only on one side.  2 Broken cross beams were made into one good one. Full service of the motor got that running sweetly. Replaced missing valve gear.

4. Triang French prairie - 1964. Came with only one set of valvegear, No pony trucks or valve gear bracket and a motor that had definately seen better days.. Experimented with making the bracket out of wood. It   worked. New magnet for the motor sorted that problem out. Sourced a replacement  and fitted new pont truck. Really wanted the German version but the one I was after went for more than the £80.00 I was willing to pay. To be honest all I really want is the body as I already have a complete red German chassis.

5/ Triang M7 Black - 1967. Bought as a seperate none running chassis. Needed new motor and pick ups. So for replacement pick ups I started looking for rocking horse droppings with as much luck in finding          either of them. So I bit the bullet and made my own pick ups and to my great suprise they actually worked.The body from a job lot of 4. (Still needs crests applying).

6/ Triang M7 No 245 Green - 1973/74. Spare working M7 chassis I had in my spares box and the body from the afor mentioned job lot.

7/ Triang M7, Repainted body on a 1967 chassis. Body from job lot.Date really unknown. But I love this paint job and am keeping it. 1967 Chassis cobbled together from my spares box. New replacement bogie        wheels. .

8/ Triang Pannier tank, Came in pieces with no transfers or numbers. Top of the bodies mounting points were broken off. So all it really needed was a good clean and service. All transfers and numbers applying and the top body mounting pins fixing.

9/ B12 in the back ground. Somewhere between 1964 and 71. Looks to have had a very nicely done repaint and lining plus several other upgrades. Look brilliant and it is one of the best engines I have bought in    recent months.

10/ Triang x2 3 car DMU sets cleaned and repainted where needed plus full restoration of the motor bogies. Not in these pictures.

Thats what I have been upto recently. Resurecting old engines from the scrapyard.

Just for interest and something different to do the German Tiger tank in the first picture is a 1973 Corgi model I am restoring to it's former glory. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive to finish it. And the angel interceptor is another Corgi model but a bit younger from 2005.

DSC_1155.JPG

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1158.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 6

Bit of plastic bashing, no nice tidy locos have been harmed, turning scrap into useful locos again., Earl Cawdor Progress , Armstrong And 3021 Wigmore Castle back as a 2-2-2. These were Both rather distressed examples of the Triang Dean Single.Oh and an even rougher one was broken up to provide bits, although that one may live again in the form of something else too.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

9 hours ago, russell price said:

Bit of plastic bashing, no nice tidy locos have been harmed, turning scrap into useful locos again., Earl Cawdor Progress , Armstrong And 3021 Wigmore Castle back as a 2-2-2. These were Both rather distressed examples of the Triang Dean Single.Oh and an even rougher one was broken up to provide bits, although that one may live again in the form of something else too.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

Hi Russell,

I love that 2-2-2 version of Lord of the Isles. With such a long and rigid chassis whata the minimum radius that it can get round.

10 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Russell,

I love that 2-2-2 version of Lord of the Isles. With such a long and rigid chassis whata the minimum radius that it can get round.

Haven’t tried it yet!!!! The front wheels will be a pony truck effectively, although there isn’t much sideways movement. I guess it will stay most of the time in the Display cabinet along with some of my other early GW stuff. The choice of 3021 Wigmore Castle is based on the fact I lived in the village for 10 years rather than the prototype and its notorious reputation.