Re postal delivery of MRJ.   The current problem is the same for the postal delivery of all publications that are sent out by that means.  Subscribers are at the mercy of Royal Mail so far as delivery times are concerned.  The publishers can't be blamed for items taking up to a week to drop through individual readers' letterboxes.  Patience is not only a virtue;  it is an essential attribute for any serious model-maker.

MRJ is widely available in shops if postal delivery is too slow for you.  I have maintained my subscriptions to several publications by post, simply because of lockdowns in the past two years, and continuing uncertainty about the covid situation.  

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Crichel Down said:

Re postal delivery of MRJ.   The current problem is the same for the postal delivery of all publications that are sent out by that means.  Subscribers are at the mercy of Royal Mail so far as delivery times are concerned.  The publishers can't be blamed for items taking up to a week to drop through individual readers' letterboxes.  Patience is not only a virtue;  it is an essential attribute for any serious model-maker.

MRJ is widely available in shops if postal delivery is too slow for you.  I have maintained my subscriptions to several publications by post, simply because of lockdowns in the past two years, and continuing uncertainty about the covid situation.  

While accepting that postal delivery delays are nothing to do with Cygnet Publications, it has been my experience over many years that MRJ subscription deliveries in comparison to newsagent deliveries are inconsistent, sometimes before, sometimes later. Other regular publications I receive by post, Society and club magazines, all seem to arrive relatively consistently, based on the postings on the relevant forums.

Suggesting that getting MRJ from a newsagent is a solution overlooks that it might take several trips to a newsagent to se if it is in stock. Buying it by subscription not only provides Cygnet with positive cashflow (and possibly more profit than supplying to the trade) but also makes it more convenient for me., excessive delays excepted. A couple of days after others say they have received theirs is neither here or there, but 10 days after Simon at Titfield Thunderbolt has it in stock is disappointing. Other items received by post recently haven't been noticeably delayed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst some items can be received quite quickly via Royal Mail, delivery times are something of a lottery depending on where they are posted from and where they are going to. I was sent the first example of MRJ 286 off the press by first class mail but didn't actually receive it until several days after Simon had received the copies for sale by Titfield.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid there has been an unfortunate cropping of the middle photo of Derek Thorn's Kirkby Malham on p. 427, such that only the top of the chimney of the 0-4-4WT described in the caption is visible. This could have been saved by putting the caption to the left of the lower photo, above the caption to that photo, and cropping a bit of the sky. Fortunately we have Derek's layout topic to feast our eyes on:

I think that this may be the first time that Metcalfe card kits have featured in the hallowed pages of MRJ. Derek's terrace is very well done with extra detailing etc.; I particularly like the part that is on the slope. But their use on this layout is singularly appropriate - the firm is based in Skipton and Nick Metcalfe went to school at Airton, just down-river from Kirkby Malham. The school there is the basis for the one in the Metcalfe range. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I didn't realise that the buildings from Heckmondwike were still in existence, how agreeable.

As models of the buildings at Wirksworth (1867) they were perhaps an odd choice for Heckmondwyke, the West Riding Lines Act being passed in 1898. But maybe the backstory to Heckmondwike posited an earlier date for the West Riding lines as part of the Midland's great expansion in the 1860s?

Edit: Anyway, I'm confused by the statement that the station buildings were based on Wirksworth, which has a building that is a precursor of the Settle & Carlisle style, with gabled ends to the roofs (compare Bitton). The hipped roof style of the model is equally characteristically Midland but more like Camp Hill, Mansfield Woodhouse (though that was timber), and elsewhere (that I can't quickly pin down...) Or was the station building at Wirksworth replaced in the 1870s? I note this drawing is titled "New Station".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As models of the buildings at Wirksworth (1867) they were perhaps an odd choice for Heckmondwyke, the West Riding Lines Act being passed in 1898. But maybe the backstory to Heckmondwike posited an earlier date for the West Riding lines as part of the Midland's great expansion in the 1860s?

Whitwell?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, meil said:

Whitwell?

Aha, yes, thanks - the building now at Butterley, dating from 1875. 

That would ease the fictional backstory for Heckmondwyke, supposing the West Riding Lines to have been built hand-in-hand with the Settle & Carlisle, shortening the new route to Scotland.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Penlan said:

The last posts on that (excellent) thread are in 2015, is there any follow up?

It's up to page 52 with the most recent post 9 hours ago - admittedly the last couple of pages have been about Derek's son's 0 gauge Midland carriages. The most recently-posted photos of the layout are round about here:

(Click on the NE-facing arrow to go straight to the post in question rather than the start of the topic.)

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Edit: Anyway, I'm confused by the statement that the station buildings were based on Wirksworth, which has a building that is a precursor of the Settle & Carlisle style, with gabled ends to the roofs (compare Bitton). The hipped roof style of the model is equally characteristically Midland but more like Camp Hill, Mansfield Woodhouse (though that was timber), and elsewhere (that I can't quickly pin down...) Or was the station building at Wirksworth replaced in the 1870s? I note this drawing is titled "New Station".

That's my fault as when I was transcribing information I got from the North London Group I typed Wirksworth instead of Whitwell. And I was stone cold sober at the time - honest!

My apologies to all readers.

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's my fault as when I was transcribing information I got from the North London Group I typed Wirksworth instead of Whitwell. And I was stone cold sober at the time - honest!

My apologies to all readers.

Dave 

Glad it's not just me, then. GIGO.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm afraid there has been an unfortunate cropping of the middle photo of Derek Thorn's Kirkby Malham on p. 427, such that only the top of the chimney of the 0-4-4WT described in the caption is visible. This could have been saved by putting the caption to the left of the lower photo, above the caption to that photo, and cropping a bit of the sky. Fortunately we have Derek's layout topic to feast our eyes on:

I think that this may be the first time that Metcalfe card kits have featured in the hallowed pages of MRJ. Derek's terrace is very well done with extra detailing etc.; I particularly like the part that is on the slope. But their use on this layout is singularly appropriate - the firm is based in Skipton and Nick Metcalfe went to school at Airton, just down-river from Kirkby Malham. The school there is the basis for the one in the Metcalfe range. 

Here is the 0-4-4WT on the previous incarnation of the layout, Embsay Canal Road.

721331091_EmbsayCanalRoad(28).jpg.46a6c8c261398d28dc3a276b66c9ac92.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

While accepting that postal delivery delays are nothing to do with Cygnet Publications, it has been my experience over many years that MRJ subscription deliveries in comparison to newsagent deliveries are inconsistent, sometimes before, sometimes later. Other regular publications I receive by post, Society and club magazines, all seem to arrive relatively consistently, based on the postings on the relevant forums.

Suggesting that getting MRJ from a newsagent is a solution overlooks that it might take several trips to a newsagent to se if it is in stock. Buying it by subscription not only provides Cygnet with positive cashflow (and possibly more profit than supplying to the trade) but also makes it more convenient for me., excessive delays excepted. A couple of days after others say they have received theirs is neither here or there, but 10 days after Simon at Titfield Thunderbolt has it in stock is disappointing. Other items received by post recently haven't been noticeably delayed.

Well, I'll be lucky to see mine before Christmas.

• Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's up to page 52 with the most recent post 9 hours ago 

How did I miss that, I thought - and therefore there's doubt - the item only went up to page 5 and last posted in 2015, obviously my faculties are going.....
I now see I have seen these later pages, circa 50 onwards, recently, uhmnn :wacko:
Many thank Stephan.

• Friendly/supportive 2