turn out dimentions

daryll

• RMweb Premium

Hope this in the the right section.

Does anyone know if the marcway EM points ( pre built) have the same overall dimensions as the peco 00 points ( apart from the gauge)

I am changing from 00 to EM , so the peco medium radius point has a over all length of "x" , would this be the same as the marcway 36" radius point.

Also I see the marcway do 36-48-54-60 and 72" radius , where as peco do small , medium and large , I worked out the marcway 36" is the same as the peco medium , marcway dont seem to do the equivalent to peco small radius ( not as if I am going to use small radius points)

Edited by daryll

15 minutes ago, daryll said:

I am changing from 00 to EM , so the peco medium radius point has a over all length of "x" , would this be the same as the marcway 36" radius point.

No, because as you increase the gauge, you make the point longer because the common crossing needs to be further away from the tips of the switchblades.

The Peco Medium radius point has a nominal radius of 36", with a diverge angle of 12 degrees.  The Marcway version with the same nominal radius may or may not have the same diverge angle.  The Peco Large radius point is sometimes quoted as 60", but I believe that the actual radius is about 46".  The larger Marcway versions will therefore be larger than the Peco Large radius.

• Like 1

If you are changing to EM you are better off getting the proper info from the EMGS and/or Templot and building or buying proper model points and not those made to toy train geometry. The length of a point also depends on the spacing of double track and its usual in EM to use scale spacing which will reduce the length compared to a similar point for the Peco wider double track spacing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently converted the Folkestone Club's "Alkham" layout from EM to 00 as the builder died and nobody in the club had EM gauge stock. As Grovenor says, the track centres are different and so are the lengths of the points. I gave up trying to mimin the original and done the whole lot on Templot. 

You may want to look on the "Handbuilt Track and Templot" group on here, there's now an excellent range of EM point kits available as sensible prices that are easy to build. You can use C&L or similar EM gauge flexitrack and the points are built to Templot standards.

Link here:  

Edited by roythebus1