Compatibility of Deltang and Protocab equipment

Tickplan

I am currently in the process of "converting" a loco on behalf of my loco club to radio control using Micron/Deltang equipment. Another member of the club has an O gauge loco which he runs with Protocab/Acc+Ess  (i.e transmitter and receiver etc as a complete kit). He asked today if he brought his transmitter down would it work the club's loco (and I suppose by inference would the club's transmitter "connect to" his loco). I said that I thought it would not because as I understand matters Protocab use there own bespoke radio system whereas the Micron/ Deltang equipment is more "open source". However, since I know diddly squat about such matters I wondered if anyone here could enlighten me and maybe others in the matter of compatible radio frequencies. If by chance they do play nicely together are there any special tricks to learn in terms of binding etc?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered before - I did do a search on the topic and nothing came up.

Bryan

It is also my understanding that Protocab developed their own radio control system unlike Deltang which uses one of the standard model radio control protocols Spectrum DSM2.

It should be possible to run both locos at the same time using their own controllers as I know Deltang use the 2.4Ghz band with various redundancy and checking protocols and would think Protocab would do the same.

• Agree 1

Even if they’re both on the same frequency, they’re digital and the binding process will prevent crosstalk.  

I do not know if you can bind a Protocab transmitter and Deltang/Micron receiver or vice versa. I’d guess not, but maybe.

• Agree 1

No chance of interworking between Deltang and Protocab (unless someone makes a very big pile of interworking software/hardware).   
Protocab is one of the 802.xxx stacks, for a mesh device network, with their own proprietary protocol for loco control on the end of it.     

Its the same level of incompatibility as "will my VHS tapes play in your Betamax video recorder".  

The two will probably co-exist and work alongside each other without one crashing the other. 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1