Anyone recognise this?

Some time ago I acquired this nicely scratch built Nickel Silver body from the estate of a deceased club member - but I'm not sure what it is actually supposed to represent.  It could be completely freelance or some obscure actual prototype.  Given the louvres on the 'bonnet' end I'm supposing it could be powered by an internal combustion engine although a grill would be more common.  It has a slight 'flavour' of Sentinel about it or even the Atkinson-Walker loco, both of which are steam powered.  In due course I may have a go at getting it working, probably with one of the High Level 4-wheel drive units but it would be nice to be able to know if it has a prototype.

Please submit your ideas on its possible parentage:scratchhead:

7 minutes ago, Ruston said:

A pic might help. :P

You're right, very observant of you.  Just trying to keep you on your toes..................:blush:

154662458_UnknownBody.1.jpg.8f274de1802457d77841d98f7373307d.jpg

1396783817_UnknownBody.2.jpg.47f56c8b17f9b956fe44a2f098502b98.jpg

103432150_UnknownBody.3.jpg.0c487813f6d2ec601d646001758d583b.jpg

I sit back, awaiting all the erudite answers:good:

It’s not the ex Clogher Valley Atkinson-Walker after it was sold to the County Donegal and fitted with a Diesel engine, is it?

It doesn’t instantly feel ‘right’ for that, but I’d need to check.

Edit: No. I go with Sir Douglas: Aw-W, M-W, H-L cross. Unless other evidence emerges.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

It might be based on a genuine, but very obscure, loco, maybe a sentinel that was converted to diesel by an industrial owner. It’s just that I’ve never seen a sentinel with whatever that is (a grille?) on the bonnet front, whereas many had them in the lower part of the cab, around the boiler.

I have a copy of the new Sentinel book. But I’m away from home this weekend. I’ll try and remember to look when I get back. 

The round spectacles look wrong for most Sentinels. 

It’s not the CVR A-W later CDR ‘Phoenix’ but there is something of that loco about it. 

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

whatever that is (a grille?) on the bonnet front,

They're louvres which is what makes me think it is intended to represent an IC powered rather than steam loco.

Thanks for all your ideas so far - but I'm still none the wiser!:scratchhead:

Edited by 5050

The body shape is very Sentinel and a fair number did have round spectacles at that end of the cab, even if the ones at the other end were rectangular. 

But on a Sentinel of the type which is mostly cab (like this), the boiler would be in the cab and the lower part of the body would be the water tank. So the louvres are a puzzle. 

It's definitely not a Manning Wardle petrol loco. They looked nothing like that and had a centre cab. It doesn't look like any Sentinel that I've seen, either. I say that it's freelance, inspired by an Atkinson Walker geared locomotive.

The way one part of the bodywork is wider than the other, and has a large roof overhang, does remind me of these.

image.png.4f2f392a35a01d3128d8118b2c81edd9.png

Especially this one, with portholes in one end and squared windows in the other.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/COUNTY-DONEGAL-RAILWAYS-JOINT-COMMITTEE/i-tmtX83x/A