Dapol SR lattice post signals- A Question....

Good Morning.

We've been looking at options for signalling my Dad's Scottish region layout Creagan. We've been looking at the Dapol SR signals with a view to modifying them to look more like the Caley signals (UQ versions) found at the real Creagan.

My question is, how feasible would this be? From the limited number of photos online it looks like it might be a go-er. A change of finial, removing/repositioning the tensioning weight and TC diamond would be a start. A Change of arm would probably be needed too, although it may be possible to disguise the SR one. We're not looking for 100% accuracy, but having working signals would be nice and I suspect that modifying a couple of Dapols would be easier than building the MSE kits that are available.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Rob Rossington

Might be easier but not look as good. I don't think Wizard do signals ready made anymore but there are others who do commissions, though of course it is more expensive but you do get a better result. Prices can range from a basic £45.00 with servo an extra £12.00, working lights from an extra £18.00 plus you would need a servo control board. Dapol signals are around the £30.00 mark but are not as good in my opinion. I think the kits from Wizard are £10.50 plus P&P

The Wizard lattice is wrong though, and difficult to put right, and has been ever since Derek Mundy first drew the artwork about half-a-century ago. It wasn't really his fault though since he copied a South Western Circle drawing which looked good but was actually wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, bécasse said:

The Wizard lattice is wrong though, and difficult to put right, and has been ever since Derek Mundy first drew the artwork about half-a-century ago. It wasn't really his fault though since he copied a South Western Circle drawing which looked good but was actually wrong.

Yes, I thought it was a well known problem, though I think the newer ones in 7mm scale are better. I am still trying to get a better alternative done, first effort in 7mm scale OK, 4mm too fine, second effort in 4mm scale a bit too coarse, third time lucky, when I find the time to refine the CAD?

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Yes, I thought it was a well known problem, though I think the newer ones in 7mm scale are better. I am still trying to get a better alternative done, first effort in 7mm scale OK, 4mm too fine, second effort in 4mm scale a bit too coarse, third time lucky, when I find the time to refine the CAD?

Well, I have to say that I am really glad that someone is trying to do something about it after all these years. If you see lattice signals built from MSE/Wizard kits front on they look fine but as soon as you see them from an angle it is only too obvious that they aren't right (even if most people couldn't tell you what was actually wrong).

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Hi,

I have a bit more time so, this has been discussed elsewhere, Scalefour Forum and one of LNER line forums (the relevant comments seem to have evaporated). Basically the two sides should be slightly offset from each other, to accommodate the bolts securing the lattice, as in some of the later 7mm etches but the original ones still have this overdone.  Personally, having looked at Dapol signals in general I wouldn't want to use them even if I couldn't make them myself. There are just too many compromises and none scale features, which wouldn't be counternced if it were an item of rolling stock or loco.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Informative/Useful 1