Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dewsbury Midland

w124bob

Following a prompting about a Dewsbury Midland thread I thought I'd start it. As the Manchester Model Railway Society is my (very)local club and I have access when it's quiet, I use DM as my photo backdrop for the various projects I have on the go. Many have already appeared in other sections, I'll also try to post other members models as well. So to kick off here is today's selection. A fitting place to start.

20211209_113505.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 15

It tolerates most rolling stock very well, the diamond crossing at the left end being laid on a curve is the test. Back to backs are usually the culprit for poor running and that's an easy fix. It's interesting to note Geoff Taylor launched a professional model building career on the back of his work here. I did an Ivo Peters Dewsbury road trip photo album a couple of years ago, there's also a "Get Carter" album as well. Both have plenty of buildings in shot and  have featured on RMweb previously, here's a teaser or two from the Flickr albums. Click to go to the relevent Flickr page. 

20190510_200127-1

One of my fav shots , and the Get Carter album

20210712_125455

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Another dozen photos taken tonight, but only two contained any loco content. So here we have 2091 drifting down the branch towards the station. The shunt engine spent much of it's live calling Bradford Hammerton st home, so very much a local engine. The rest of tonight's photo's need a bit of cropping and resizing and will appear next.

2091 pic 1.jpg

2091 pic 2.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we are in holiday mode I thought it was time for a little background history, before posting pictures of some new projects. Those with long memories may remember an article way back in the December 1973 Railway Modeller, part of a series at the time for layout ideas. The article was based around the premise that the Midland's plans to build a through route via Forster Square (envisioned as a through station)to the S&C came to fruition. In reality of cause this never happened and the MR presence in Dewsbury was a goods only dead end. 

Layout idea 1 was for a terminus, but the author picked up on the idea of an S&C route to turn the plan into a junction station. He  proposed the MR also built a  branch towards Huddesfield and the LNWR. On the layout the branch is to the left front with the mainline towards Bradford behind, the right hand end would be towards Healey Mills. I found this book useful, next project is wagon related.

20211228_121119.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Time for quick update, 3876 arrives at Dewsbury Midland on a trip working from Healey Mills. The loco spent most of 1971 based at HM, here we see it trundle through the station and towards Huddesfield, before returning to the yard. A total of 15 images will be on Flickr shortly. Coming up, D30 on a parcels and a return to steam with 43132 from Mirfield.

3876 pic2.jpg

3876 pic9.jpg

3876 pic13.jpg

3876 pic16.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 11

The Bachmann 08 has had some minor work, mainly under the front end. The vac pipes were made up from guitar strings plus the twin air tanks were repostioned, closing in the centre gap, moving back and adding the pipe across the front face connecting the two. Also the brace has been added across the front steps, there's a driver in there too.

Edited by w124bob

I don't normally post pictures of something I haven't finished, but as a few commented at the club last night were favourable I thought I'd share a couple of images here. Firstly I made a bit of a error with this loco, I didn't test it before weathering and so forgot it came "DCC fitted". By the time I tested it yesterday I realised the decoder needed to come out(Dewsbury is DC)but I'd secured the pipe work and couldn't get the body off! I finished up cutting some of  the pipe work from the top of the firebox to the injectors below the cab. This actually worked in my favour as I got a much better finish using insulated wire as a replacement. Anyway glazing, coal, crew and a front coupling just to finish. The real 43132 was an ScR loco before transfer to Wakefield in '63, where it spent about 11 months.

20220131_190441.jpg

20220131_185908.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 12

Back to a bit of BR blue tonight and a bit of a different picture. Standing in the stair well (DM is on the upper floor of the club room) to get a bit of a different angle. We find Holbeck type 2 5150 departing the station. Just a teaser tonight, more to come.

5150 pic12.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As promised despite internet issues, 5150 was a resident  Holbeck loco for about 6 years along with a few other Derby type 2's before heading to the ScR in the early 70's. It's a straight renumber of 24137 from Barwell, it's a great runner and now in my favourite livery variation although plain green with FYE is a close second!

5150 pic8.jpg

5150 pic9.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 9

Popped into the clubrooms for a quick visit to do jobs in the library, couldn't resist the temptation to get the camera out. I took some different locations, no trains. However two or three have potential to see stock from a different view point. Nine more images here https://www.flickr.com/photos/28630680@N06/albums/72177720296619701/with/51875876136/

Dewsbury Midland pic16.jpg

Dewsbury Midland pic18.jpg

Dewsbury Midland pic17.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...