"Points"

Andy Kirkham

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Aka 'moveable elbows'.

Or, in Great Western circles, 'moveable angles'. Either way, quite why these particular switches should be associated with either elbows or angles defeats me. But then, terminology is a funny thing - we have 'common' crossings, and 'obtuse crossings' but not 'acute crossings'. Never mind that whilst turnouts have heels and toes, they are the opposite way round to the human foot.

To compound things further, in tramway engineering, what could be described as an open switch, ie one without a moveable rail, is known as a 'mate', and it is not unknown for them to turn up in pairs, either because they are always trailed, or, in horse tram days, the horse knew which way to pull the car as it went through in the facing direction.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Odd that Jim as on my parts (various) of the Western they were always called either 'elbows' or 'moveable elbows' in everyday talk by both operating folk and the Civils.  The best one I ever saw was at Fairwood Jcn which wasn't just moveable elbows but also incorporated a single slip (until a chunk of rail came adrift one day as the Up 'Limited' passed over it at speed.  Apart from making an interesting mark on an overbridge the missing piece of rail l meant the slip part was signed off - permanently.)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On the WR, certainly in the maintenance organisation on the London Division, they were referred to as Elbows but i have a copy of the WR Locking Principles document, mainly for drawing office staff to use, and in the section on numbering of levers dated May 1955 it only refers to Switch Diamonds.

Also on the WR a double slip was known as a Double Compound and a single slip as a Single Compound, regional differences abounded long after nationalisation.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Vanfit said:

Also on the WR a double slip was known as a Double Compound and a single slip as a Single Compound, regional differences abounded long after nationalisation.

Let’s not mention trap and catch for the same reason….

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2021 at 09:33, Andy Kirkham said:

But what is a (singular) point?

We call it 'a point end' where I work (NR, Plymouth P-way).

A crossover would be termed the A-end or the B-end, (A-end normally closest to the controlling box)

On 13/12/2021 at 09:48, bécasse said:

set of points.

In any of the yards I’ve signed they’re usually just referred to as a “set.” Eg; “Change ends in the neck, get the top set yourself and drop down.”

I’ve never heard a signaller refer to them as anything other than “points.” Eg; “The points are set and locked for your move, so you have my permission to….” 

But I don’t have anything to do with Pway apart from waving at them, and I imagine they’re more precise.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2021 at 13:53, Wickham Green too said:

There are a number of odd 'pair of' items in the English language which are - or have become - singular objects .......... who's ever heard of 'a trouser', 'a pant', 'a knicker' or 'a scissor' for instance ? ........................... conversely, a pair of gloves always ends up singular after a while !

Bit like socks after they've been in the washing machine!

On 15/12/2021 at 00:24, jim.snowdon said:

Never mind that whilst turnouts have heels and toes, they are the opposite way round to the human foot.

That all depends on how you look at the feet!

Looking from the side the points are at the toe and it widens to the heel, and pivots at the heel (ankle) joint.

You may think differently if you look from above. ^_^

• Like 1