Liverpool and Manchester 'Lion'

rapidoandy

You can now order what promises to be a stunning model of one of the most iconic and recognisable locomotives from the dawn of the railways thanks to Rapido Trains UK.

49995363098_ba0a7f7b09_o.jpg.3eb2766cd12e1e9b955fdef5dcb3c62f.jpg

We have joined forces with leading experts on early railways to develop a 1:76 scale model of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway’s famous locomotive Lion. Built in 1837 at a cost of £1,100, Lion, along with its sister Tiger, was the first locomotive built by Todd, Kitson and Laird in Leeds. Designated a ‘luggage engine’, Lion was first used as a banking engine before resuming luggage duties for several years before finally working as a ballast engine.

Lion was sold in 1859 to the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board where it was used around the docks before being turned into a stationary pumping engine. ‘Discovered’ by members of the Liverpool Engineering Society, Lion was presented to the society by the Dock Board in 1928. Society members then formed the Old Locomotive Committee, which continued to care for Lion for several decades.

The LMS created the shape of Lion as we know it today during its overhaul at Crewe works. It undertook a prominent role in the Liverpool & Manchester Railway’s centenary celebrations in 1930, where it hauled a train of specially-built 1830s-style coaches.

1899589556_Lion1930.jpg.32f19382c55c65811a2920ccbeb6ae9d.jpg

Lion was removed from its plinth at Liverpool Lime Street to make its film debut, in the 1937 film Victoria the Great. It left Liverpool again in 1938 for the centenary celebrations of the London & Birmingham Railway and again during the Second World War for the safety of the Crewe Works paintshop. Its next public appearance would really throw it into the public spotlight.

The producers at Ealing Studios need an antique locomotive to star in its new film about a local village that saves its branch line by running it themselves, with the help of an old engine from a museum. Lion was overhauled at Crewe and specially painted for its starring role, especially as this was the first Ealing Comedy to be shot in colour.

The Titfield Thunderbolt was released in 1953 and Lion went back into store. It made a brief appearance in 1961 for more filming, albeit the TV show Lookaround. Then, in 1967, Lion took up position in the City of Liverpool Museums’ new transport gallery. Due to its condition, it was cosmetically restored between 1968 and 1969.

1894613163_UK913LionV1.PNG.cc99ea70f79fbc2f1113aeb18178cd2f.PNG

Lion was awakened from its slumbers in 1979 in order for it to take part in the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Rainhill Trials. It was overhauled by apprentices at Ruston Diesels in Newton-le-Willows and starred at the Rainhill Cavalcade in 1980. It continued to appear in steam until 1989 when it required repairs.

Lion will be available direct from us at www.rapidotrains.co.uk or from any Official Retailer.

RRP for the DC / Silent model is £179.95 whilst DCC Sound models will retail at £279.95.

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm shocked this announcement seems to have cause no excitement!

These are looking stunning so far, up to Rapido's usual standards. The 1930s one would definitely by my choice, those red frames just set the loco off beautifully. Also there is a photo from 1930 showing the newly restored Lion sat next to the LNER Hush-Hush and it would be wonderful to recreate that photo alongside the Hornby W1. ;)

I,ve ordered a sound fitted Lion in 1980s condition. I'm reasonably confident that a sound fitted Hornby version is unlikely. But know Rapido is very good with DCC sound. This will run with my mainly preserved condition Bluebell Railway stuff.

On 15/12/2021 at 13:04, rapidoandy said:

Designated a ‘luggage engine’, Lion was first used as a banking engine before resuming luggage duties for several years before finally working as a ballast engine.

What exactly did "luggage engine "mean? 

Was it envisaged that passengers' luggage would travel separately in a goods train?

Did they mean it was intended for parcels trains?  

Also worth bearing in mind the Liverpool & Manchester wasn't really a coal or mineral railway. Don't expect it to be pulling train loads of coal. That was not urgent so would go by canal.

Cotton and other raw materials one way, finished goods the other.

Luggage meant just that. It would be things coming in from the ships needing to get to places like Manchester quickly. Think more mail, parcels and goods coming from places like the US and Ireland. A lot of it would be in those huge trunks they used on ships. Barrels seemed to be common as well.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2021 at 22:10, Michael Hodgson said:

What exactly did "luggage engine "mean? 

Was it envisaged that passengers' luggage would travel separately in a goods train?

Did they mean it was intended for parcels trains?  

The term persisted. Does not Lady Bracknell refer to a luggage train? (1895)

On 19/12/2021 at 16:16, Steamport Southport said:

Also worth bearing in mind the Liverpool & Manchester wasn't really a coal or mineral railway. Don't expect it to be pulling train loads of coal. That was not urgent so would go by canal.

But in fact was building coal wagons early on...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2021 at 09:23, Obsidian Quarry said:

I'm shocked this announcement seems to have cause no excitement!

These are looking stunning so far, up to Rapido's usual standards. The 1930s one would definitely by my choice, those red frames just set the loco off beautifully. Also there is a photo from 1930 showing the newly restored Lion sat next to the LNER Hush-Hush and it would be wonderful to recreate that photo alongside the Hornby W1. ;)

According to my father's spotting log, the Lion was also at Mallingford, aka Bristol TM, at the same time as gas turbine 18100, so there's another wacky combination.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The term persisted. Does not Lady Bracknell refer to a luggage train? (1895)

But in fact was building coal wagons early on...

Yes. You would have had a few coal wagons.

It's the idea that it was a railway that had long trains full of coal wagons like railways in the North East that I'm trying to debunk. There just wasn't the financial benefits as you could send it by barge for much less.

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Private collieries were allowed to operate their own trains over the Liverpool & Manchester, so these would have hauled the bulk of the coal in the early days, rather than the L&M itself. I'm not sure when the practice stopped.

But as Steamport South says, canals were still very competitive at this time.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Private collieries were allowed to operate their own trains over the Liverpool & Manchester, so these would have hauled the bulk of the coal in the early days, rather than the L&M itself. I'm not sure when the practice stopped.

I dont think it ever has… Class 59’s and stock are privately owned operating on BR, theyve only recently gone to FL.

Even in the 1970’s industrials had permission to move over various sections of the network… the HC 0-6-0 at Didcot still carries BTC plates allowing it over BR metals.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...