The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

3 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Thanks for the quick response Fran. I don’t own a copy of the Clarke & Slinn book so I’ll take your word for it, however I really do think it’s worth another look as the GWR out-shopped all rolling stock - both passenger, NPCCS and freight - with darker (grey) roofs at the start of hostilities for obvious reasons? 

I will be astonished if white roofs were still being put out into stock by April 1940… 

@Miss Prism will undoubtedly be able to comment. 

Cheers. 

CoY 

Rolling stock started having their roofs painted grey from 1941 ISTR.

I believe it was after a train on the SR was targeted. Previous to that trains weren't seen as being targets as most bombing raids were done at night or from high altitude.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

These look very nice indeed. The underframe looks very well detailed, the DC version much as I remember from crawling around under Didcot's example for several hours measuring up for Ian's kit. Sadly I won't be up for any of these as I have two of the kits to build!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

@Accurascale Fran

Evening Fran. Two blue ones for us please. What a cracking announcement! Are we safe to assume any blue liveried vans that do not mention a TOPs code in the description are correctly branded for the 1966 - 73 period please? 

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

4 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I will be astonished if white roofs were still being put out into stock by April 1940

While it is perhaps an unrelated special case the roof of GWR railcar No 19 was painted white in March 1940 as was one of the earlier railcars.  A later picture, the cover of the AEC Gazette shows 5 of the new railcars with white roofs.

The parcels railcar No 34 (diagram showing livery dated April 1941) had a grey roof as built.

See The History of Great Western AEC Diesel Railcars, by  C. W. Judge.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I think there was one the prototype that had doors made up of 3 full width planks

2937 I thinks.

Thanks you Accurascale. Certainly makes my modelling of the 1961 Penzance > Padd TPO a lot easier.

Please allow yourselves an extra portion of pie this weekend.

WUnkwonw-FerrantiSpecial2Edit.jpg.a3d949f291608e3f1817627d29349496.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
Put words in the right order.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Are we safe to assume any blue liveried vans that do not mention a TOPs code in the description are correctly branded for the 1966 - 73 period please?

Anything specific Phil? The three I’m assuming you are referring to are W1023, W2774W and W2768W, and the branding is taken from reference photographs of these vehicles.

All the best,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Anything specific Phil? The three I’m assuming you are referring to are W1023, W2774W and W2768W, and the branding is taken from reference photographs of these vehicles.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for coming back.

Just want to be sure I order ones without TOPs branding - struggling to see on the current art work images

Cheers

Phil

18 hours ago, JohnR said:

OK which of the BR blue ones is best for working in Scotland?

Entering Perth 1976.

There's one in this train at Perth in 1976. I assume it's a non-ETH diagram O.62, of which Accurascale are modelling two in blue, albeit with WR destination boards on the sides. 

I pondered before if these boards are removable, or part of the tooling? If removable they'd give a bit more scope for running in other regions. 

Regards,

Cameron

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Entering Perth 1976.

There's one in this train at Perth in 1976. I assume it's a non-ETH diagram O.62, of which Accurascale are modelling two in blue, albeit with WR destination boards on the sides. 

I pondered before if these boards are removable, or part of the tooling? If removable they'd give a bit more scope for running in other regions. 

Regards,

Cameron

Thanks, it would be good to have confirmation if the destination boards are separate items.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

.... I pondered before if these boards are removable, or part of the tooling? If removable they'd give a bit more scope for running in other regions. ....

C'mon ........ a destination board - or any other route branding on the railway - is just an invitation for the vehicle to wander off piste !

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

Built from an already available excellent kit .... 

_MG_5216b (1).jpg

Hi @Staffordshire,

Thats an excellent looking build of an outside framed example. Very well done! Perhaps you’ll find a home for one of our inside framed new models to compliment it in your fleet in time.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Thanks, it would be good to have confirmation if the destination boards are separate items.

They are, indeed, separately fitted elements.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

40 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

May I ask what were the "X-reinforced" sliding (?) steel panels were for ?

Extra ventilation when carrying perishables; though milk-in-churn traffic was disappearing, into the 1970s, there were substantial flows of flowers, fruit and vegetables from Cornwall and the Scilly Islands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Jon Harbour said:

So great to see someone reminding Hornby not to rest on their laurels and continue to turn out models from 40+ years ago. More power to you Accurascale! 

I dont think they have rested on their Laurels, have they? They may have the tooling for the Lima Siphon G, but they've never issued it, have they?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I dont think they have rested on their Laurels, have they? They may have the tooling for the Lima Siphon G, but they've never issued it, have they?

It might be that the tooling either doesn't exist, or is incompatible with modern moulding machines. Were any of the rolling stock from the Lima range re-issued after Hornby taking them over?

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Black would have been standard until the 1956 livery changes .......

1956860701_2589.20DSC_0711.JPG.9234befd4a869b504dcc71a004485f93.JPG

..... but if you look very carefully, you'll see that Accurascale offer one of each !

Didn’t all-round livery occur after Eastleigh’s introduction of the airless spray process?  Mid-sixties onward?

• Agree 3