The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

The 4 digit train/coach code number was repeated at the ends above the corridor connection. This is just visible on the picture of car 3207.

You are quite correct Tony, now you have pointed it out I can see it clearly! The artwork will be duly amended to reflect this.

Best wishes,

Paul.

*IMG_2244.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Is the website functioning at present, it isn't letting a man place fleet-strength orders!

No issue not 5 mins ago as they positively pillaged my wallet!

All I had running through my mind was this image...it did quite the number on my state of mind when pre-ordering!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/7990017706

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit like SR utility vans, the other BR regions "borrowed" Siphon Gs mercilessly. I've seen at least one photo featuring a Diagram 033 example tucked in behind a Gresley Pacific on an ECML express.

By the mid-1950s I doubt there was anywhere on the mainland that hadn't been visited by at least one....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Could one or two of these have crept onto the ex-Cambrian network???? Found plenty images of various PMV and BG vehicles used trains but not spotted a Siphon yet.

(Evidently they would have been used in parcel trains rather than milk)

Whatever their official designation as milk vans, most milk previously transported by rail in churns was rapidly going over to tank wagons fairly early in BR days, though I'm not sure when BR moved its last churn-full.

I confidently expect to learn the exact date within the next ten posts. :)

Apart from use in parcels/newspaper trains, Siphons were widely used for general perishables and other (non-milk) dairy traffic, and also Passengers' Luggage in Advance during the holiday season.

Basically, anything that would fit through the doorways!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick trawl through the RCTS & P5 coaching stock books show the numbers in revenue service nose-dived pretty sharply at the end of the 1970s.

Dec 1974  132
Dec 1975  121
Dec 1977  116
Jan 1980   22 (of which only 2 were the steam heat GWR build)
Dec 1982    8
Nov 1983    0

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

No issue not 5 mins ago as they positively pillaged my wallet!

All I had running through my mind was this image...it did quite the number on my state of mind when pre-ordering!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/7990017706

That picture raises a couple of matters not previously discussed, Siphons in goods trains, and BR blue examples with the gangways removed, which is how I remember many of the late survivors. 

Are Accurascale doing any of theirs so modified?

John 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

That picture raises a couple of matters not previously discussed, Siphons in goods trains, and BR blue examples with the gangways removed, which is how I remember many of the late survivors. 

Are Accurascale doing any of theirs so modified?

John 

I'd have thought the van in the image I've been dribbling at is one of the former Enparts vans. Fran 'kind of' didn't rule them out when replying to Mr Bartlett back on page 1. I hope for a batch 2 on those, its already become quite an expensive day!

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @County of Yorkshire,

Many thanks for the feedback.

The Clarke & Slinn book on the Siphons suggests white roof, as does the pic of it in the book, so white is correct?

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks for the quick response Fran. I don’t own a copy of the Clarke & Slinn book so I’ll take your word for it, however I really do think it’s worth another look as the GWR out-shopped all rolling stock - both passenger, NPCCS and freight - with darker (grey) roofs at the start of hostilities for obvious reasons? 

I will be astonished if white roofs were still being put out into stock by April 1940… 

@Miss Prism will undoubtedly be able to comment. 

Cheers. 

CoY 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I will be astonished if white roofs were still being put out into stock by April 1940… 

I think I agree, but I'm scratching my head for a number of reasons:

- I cannot remember the source of the gwr.org.uk entry of " From the outbreak of WWII, roofs were painted grey instead of white, as a means of making them less visible from the air " (although I was the source, i.e. I didn't inherit it from @Mikkel, so I guess it must have been from RMweb, and judging by what's on the wayback machine, it made an appearance c 2014)

- Great Western Way is not helpful, mentioning only "White roofs, too, were a casualty..." in the context of the period 1942-3, by which time there would not have been much point in trying to avoid being spotted from the air because enemy aircraft action over UK had largely ceased I think, so this sort of doesn't make sense to me

- I haven't had my copy of Slinn and Clarke for some time (one of the reasons why I was not able to comment much in this model's development stage), but Slinn and Clarke must have been aware what was in Great Western Way, so they presumably had a reason for thinking grey roofs took a time to appear sometime after the outbreak of WWII.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Thanks for the quick response Fran. I don’t own a copy of the Clarke & Slinn book so I’ll take your word for it, however I really do think it’s worth another look as the GWR out-shopped all rolling stock - both passenger, NPCCS and freight - with darker (grey) roofs at the start of hostilities for obvious reasons? 

@Miss Prism will undoubtedly be able to comment. 

Cheers. 

CoY 

Hi @County of Yorkshire,

If we can come across a source that contradicts the evidence we have come across in the Clarke and Slinn book we will be happy to look at it, but it really needs to be documented and a concrete source. We’re always open to correction but it’s an excellent source to base it in fact currently.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @County of Yorkshire,

If we can come across a source that contradicts the evidence we have come across in the Clarke and Slinn book we will be happy to look at it, but it really needs to be documented and a concrete source. We’re always open to correction but it’s an excellent source to base it in fact currently.

Cheers!

Fran

That’s understandable. Thank you for engaging with the subject in any case - it’s a big breath of fresh air to see from a manufacturer. 

My order for the GWR & early BR(ex GWR) versions is going in now! 

Cheers. 

CoY 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered 2 variants (crimson and maroon) from Derails, one of my model shops of choice.  Barclaycard thanking me for future revenues.  Hope pension goes up in line with inflation between now and then to take a little of the pain away).

(Funnily enough I mentioned Siphons to R*pid* some way back in their 'have your say' option.  Never thought Accurascale would do this.  Now how about the ex-Lima LMS 40' GUV?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

That’s understandable. Thank you for engaging with the subject in any case - it’s a big breath of fresh air to see from a manufacturer. 

My order for the GWR & early BR(ex GWR) versions is going in now! 

Cheers. 

CoY 

Hi @County of Yorkshire,

No problem at all. As a general comment/appeal to everyone, if anybody comes across a source out there specifies a grey roof over white during this period, please let us know! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Islesy said:

You are quite correct Tony, now you have pointed it out I can see it clearly! The artwork will be duly amended to reflect this.

Best wishes,

Paul.

*IMG_2244.jpg

Amazing that you are doing the ward cars for the US Army overseas ambulance trains. Will you in the future be doing the stretcher cars for the earlier  GWR Casualty Evacuation Trains?

I had to allow myself a little chuckle when this popped up on my YouTube feed a few hours ago. Literally this afternoon a Lima version arrived at my house, picked up on eBay for the princely sum of £9.95 delivered.

I'm not a GWR fan but wanted one to reproduce something seen in a recently acquired book. Having spent the weekend researching Siphons Gs (both inside and outside framed), I now appreciate the myriad of combinations that exist, which seems to be up there with Black 5s and Jubilees.

I'll hang on to this one as a quick detailing and fettling project that will be as accurate as I can make it within the constraints I've set myself. I'm sure the Accurascale products will be excellent but as it's the first time I've seen one of the Lima products in the plastic, it does remind you how good they were in their day nearly forty years ago. Yes I know they have their shortcomings - bogies for a start - the same as the 40' LMS GUVs of which I have several for similar fettling, but for me that's part of the fun.

I'll watch with interest as this product develops.

• Like 1

An excellent choice for a new model this! They certainly weren't common on the midland region in the mid-late 1970's, but they did make appearances in parcels rakes from time to time.

A couple of photos below:

1. Leeds 1976

1318_1976_07_Leeds

2. Crewe 1978

25107_1978_03_Crewe

Assume 'Siphon G - Dia. O.33 (NMV) - BR Rail Blue: W2980' is a pretty good match for the one at Crewe in 1978?

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/siphon-g/products/siphon-g-dia-o-33-nmv-br-rail-blue-w2980

As for the one at Leeds, that's noted as a diagram O.62. The two non-ETH diagram O.62 that Accurascale are producing have destination boards however, so this one would be harder to portray, unless the boards are separately fitted?

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 6