Help with Zimo MX645r sound chip to map Aux outputs

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys and Gals.

I am trying to assist a Club colleague to ad some functions to a steam loco with a Digitrains sound project.

I have Decoder Pro.

I have tried the manual but cannot find the procedure in it.

Can some one give a clue how to Map the Aux outputs or where to find the instruction in an on-line manual.

Also, how do the F keys and Aux outputs appear in Decoder Pro?

Cheers

Dave.

Dave,

There are several ways to add/map functions on ZIMO sound decoders. Which method is best often depends on what's already included and what you wish to add, though in general, ZIMO Swiss Mapping is the most comprehensive.

What is the sound project loaded?

What functions do you wish to add?

To which keys do you wish to assign these?

Best regards,

Paul

First add the loco to DecoderPro, then read the "full read sheet" on each tab or do a "read all sheets".  On the function map tab you will then find the current set up of the function map.  Its here where you can change/ swop F keys.  The Aux output and sound slots used is also on this tab after you have read the sheet.

4 hours ago, TPC said:

First add the loco to DecoderPro, then read the "full read sheet" on each tab or do a "read all sheets".  On the function map tab you will then find the current set up of the function map.  Its here where you can change/ swop F keys.  The Aux output and sound slots used is also on this tab after you have read the sheet.

That works (though the sound slots are not on function mapping).   

But, having got to the "function map" tab, I'd set them all to "off" (no tick), write the sheet, check there are no directional settings set on any outputs in the "lights" tab, and then go to Swiss Mapping.   Because Swiss Mapping is much more capable, and all the directional stuff is on one page. 

Moving sound slots around different function keys can be done in many places(*).   I'd do it in either "Zimo input mapping" or "sound samples" - which I'd pick depends what I was trying to do.  

Instruction manuals for Zimo decoders are available from the maker's website:   www.zimo.at     

But, the chapter in the English language manual for Swiss Mapping starts off OK (if cryptically), but then goes downhill towards the end when it talks garbage: something got badly lost in the translation from German.     The DecoderPro page for Swiss Mapping is correct (or if you find a bug, tell me, I wrote it).  

(* Zimo suffers from having too many ways to do much the same thing, which makes the manuals (and DecoderPro file) complicated.    The decoders have evolved over decades, with new features added to do something.   But the old method which did "a fair bit of it" is still there.   Do that multiple times, and you end up with multiple mechanisms to move functions and sounds around, with different users having learned different methods.   To date, Zimo haven't deleted old methods from the decoders or manuals, so the older methods are still all there.    ).  

- Nigel

12 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Dave,

There are several ways to add/map functions on ZIMO sound decoders. Which method is best often depends on what's already included and what you wish to add, though in general, ZIMO Swiss Mapping is the most comprehensive.

What is the sound project loaded?

What functions do you wish to add?

To which keys do you wish to assign these?

Best regards,

Paul

Hello Paul

Digitrains has suggested that the Chip is an MX645R

The project in question is Digitrains ZS001A BR LMS  2 cyl V17.07. Digitrains has suggested that the Chip is an MX645R and that is what I have set it as in Decoder Pro.

The problems are as follows and are now basically to do with sounds.

My colleage has fitted lights and a Firebox Glow LED

The front light behaves as it should.

As per the list of F key Nos F6 is Firebox Glow + Aux1. Aux1 = Green wire and he has used this wire for the Firebox LED.

This works BUT the firebox glow also comes on with F1 Sound key.

Key F13 states Smoke unit + Aux 2. Aux 2 is the brown wire and he has used this for a rear red light.

However, the F key list states F2 is a Brake Key. When F2 is operated, the red light operates.

I have done a full chip read now but I am still baffled.

Any clues please?

Dave.

Firebox light - look in the function mapping for the decoder, turn off FO1 on F1-key. 

Brown wire on function 2 is similar - function mapping for the decoder, turn off output FO2 for the F2-key. 

Both are operating as set for the "default" for a decoder.  

Zimo manuals use the term "Function Output 1" or FO1 (etc.) .     ESU manuals use the term "Aux1", "Aux2" etc..    

- Nigel

Hi Dave,

The full read list of CVs may help you with checking.

Nigel's analysis about current operation is correct. It would seem as if the CVs have been reset to factory defaults rather than sound project defaults at some point.

I suggest you first do a CV8 = 8 reset to restore the project to  'as delivered', then we both know what we're starting with and what you need to change.*

After a reset you should find that the Firebox Flicker does not operate on F key 1 (but does on F key 6) and the tail lamp does not illuminate with F key 2  (but does operate in both directions with F key 13).

The brown wire, Function Output 2 (aka Aux 2) is by project default set for smoke effects, so we need to change these effects.

To make FO2 (Function Output 2) steady output, ensure CV128 = 0

So that the tail lamp operates with F key 13 but only illuminates when the loco is travelling forwards, make CV440 = 0

* Instead of resting you could just change CVs 35 and 36 to a value of 0 in each to prevent F keys 1 and 2 operating FOs (Auxs) but other features may not operate correctly if indeed factory defaults have been restored. For example the manual progressive brake feature on F key 2 is not configured in the factory defaults. (You can check that CV309 = 2).

Come back if this doesn't sort it out for you.

Best regards,

Paul

38 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

Hi Dave,

Nigel's analysis about current operation is correct. It would seem as if the CVs have been reset to factory defaults rather than sound project defaults at some point.

I suggest you first do a CV8 = 8 reset to restore the project to  'as delivered', then we both know what we're starting with and what you need to change.*

After a reset you should find that the Firebox Flicker does not operate on F key 1 (but does on F key 6) and the tail lamp does not illuminate with F key 2  (but does operate in both directions with F key 13).

The brown wire, Function Output 2 (aka Aux 2) is by project default set for smoke effects, so we need to change these effects.

So that the tail lamp operates with F key 13 but only illuminates when the loco is travelling forwards, make CV440 = 0

* Instead of resting you could just change CVs 35 and 36 to a value of 0 in each to prevent F keys 1 and 2 operating FOs (Auxs) but other features may not operate correctly if indeed factory defaults have been restored. For example the manual progressive brake feature on F key 2 is not configured in the factory defaults. (You can check that CV309 = 2).

Best regards,

Paul

I'll give that a try later.

Thanks Paul.

21 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Hi Dave,

Best regards,

Paul

Many thanks for your help  Paul.

I did a reset first.

Then I removed FO1 (Aux 1) from the F1 key and the rear red no longer operates from F6 key but only with the F13 key. The F6 key bringing on Shovelling and the Firebox LED. This is fine.

One more thing please.

I seem to have lost the forward White LED. This was working.

I believe this is wired to the usual wire for front lights. I used to work only in forward motion.

Not withstanding that the LED may have 'blown' (unable to test it directly at the moment) I have found more than one 'sheet' on JMRI that seems to control the front light. I have ticked front light moxes and written to chip but still no light.

Am I missing something obvious please?  I'm much more used to programming ESU V4/5s.

Dave.

EDIT. There are no boxes ticked for lighting at all. I have tried some but to no effect.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Hi Dave,

I'm not the best person to advise on Decoder Pro as I don't use it, so I can't help there.

Ensure that CVs 33 and 34 each have a value of 0.

Ensure CV 430 = 29, CV432 = 14 and CV434 = 15. This is ZIMO Swiss Mapping (Group 1). These will set F key 0 to operate front headlight (FO f, or 'white wire') when in the forward direction of travel and rear headlight (FO r or 'yellow wire') when travelling in reverse.

If the yellow wire is connected to the front headlight instead, change CV432 =15 and CV434 = 14. You can also add individual dimming effects with Swiss Mapping if you need to reduce brightness of any individual LED. (a couple of CV changes).

Best regards,

Paul