Freight train street running in Zurich

swisspeat

Several years ago in a dismal November day I took the train from Zurich Hbf to Hardebrucke. Alighting there I walked in the direction of the Swissmill. Between the station and Swissmill there are railway tracks mixing with trams, road traffic and pedestrians. All a bit bizarre to watch SBB Cargo Am 843 locos leading a train of wagons being led by a dayglo dressed SBB personnel walking in front of the loco.

Apparently the trains run several times a day and I was fortunate to witness one of them.

Not sure if these trains would satisfy the Health and Safety provisions of the UK....

Ideal material for modelling an unusual layout I thought at the time which coincidentally seems to have been borne out by a modelling layout suggestion I noticed in the latest issue of Modellbahn Schweiz magazine (www.modellbahn-schweiz.net).

Enjoy the pictures.

Kind regards,

Peter

ZUR 7.jpg

ZUR 1.jpg

ZUR 2.jpg

ZUR 3.jpg

ZUR 4.jpg

ZUR 5.jpg

ZUR 6.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2021 at 10:25, 5944 said:

https://amp.20min.ch/story/dampflok-im-kreis-5-versperrt-polizei-den-weg-201330988529

https://dvzo.ch/mieten/extrafahrt-zum-geburtstag/

And if you've got a few quid, you can hire a steam loco and coaches from DVZO and have a trip through the streets at night! 

Bearing in mind Swiss earnings and if we assume 30 people to each coach for 150 people in total it comes in at about £50 per head but throw in Swiss earnings and costs and it would be roughly the equivalent to someone in the UK paying £20 per head (I think it safe to say that the Birthday boy was not on a minimum wage job) 

• 5 months later...